Gransnet forums

Site stuff

An awful lot of nastiness these days, don’t you think?

(118 Posts)
Daddima Tue 12-May-20 12:54:20

I think it’s sad that a great opportunity for discussion is being lost, when so many of us are missing interaction. I’d really be interested to hear others’ opinions on a topic, but it seems to me that so many threads descend into insults and name calling if your point of view isn’t agreed with. Would it be so difficult just to respectfully put forward your thoughts or opinions without feeling you have to make unkind comments on other posters’ views?
I’m sure it puts people off adding their opinions, as well as being tedious to trawl through a post full of infighting .

Glorybee Tue 12-May-20 14:36:02

Chewbacca - yes I’ve seen those demands, it’s like old women trying to give other old women their homework! ?

Rosalyn69 Tue 12-May-20 14:43:00

I do feel that it’s cliquey. People who have been here a long time really only want to engage with others the “know” and have the same opinions.
I’m not sensitive or a shrinking violet but GN is hardly welcoming on some threads - usually the virus threads.
But that said I used to be active on forums some years ago and that was the same if not worse. It’s the way it is.

Marydoll Tue 12-May-20 14:51:26

I respect your opinion Rosalyn , it's all about how we perceive things, but I'm happy to engage with posters, I don't know.
We are not all how you describe us. I find that comment unfair.

AGAA4 Tue 12-May-20 14:51:49

Marydoll. Thank you for your wise and sensible posts on this thread.
As I am fairly new to GN. I understand that you can sometimes feel left out and as though nobody at all is reading what you have to say so I found your post comforting.

Doodledog Tue 12-May-20 15:12:53

* Doodledog I suppose there will be people who don’t like to be disagreed with, but don’t you think there might be a difference between, ‘ I don’t agree, I think ........’, and replies like ‘ Oh, for God’s sake grow up’, ‘ Do I need to explain it to you’, ‘ If you’re too stupid to....’? I think that’s being ‘savaged’.*

I think it's being rude, yes. But there will be bad mannered people wherever you go online. My point was not to excuse it, but to say that if it upsets you the best thing is to post on threads where there is little opportunity for people to behave like that.

Rosalyn69 Tue 12-May-20 15:22:32

Marydoll - if I implied “all” I apologise. I meant some.
I’m sorry you found it “unfair” but you’re not seeing what I see. There are some very nasty comments on certain threads which I now try hard to avoid.

Daisymae Tue 12-May-20 15:27:58

There are some topics that seem to bring out the worst in people and yes there are obvious cliques. If a thread gets heated I tend to ignore it and move on. I do think that it's much more noticeable than when I first joined. However there's lots of threads for general discussion or just chat which are likely to be useful.

Kate54 Tue 12-May-20 15:29:39

Pleased to see this discussion - thought it might just be me! The only approach is to remain polite (and very patient) and steer clear of potentially upsetting areas. Bit like being a grandparent!

Marydoll Tue 12-May-20 15:31:29

I know there are Rosalyn, so I read, but I steer well clear. Why would I subject myself to that upset?

It's not an excuse, but I suspect that some posters are very angry with life and take the opportunity to lash out and hurt people under the cloak of anonymity.

On the other hand, there are some very kind people on here, it just takes time to find them.
I hope you do try again.

You are very welcome on Miss MaryDoll's Maths Class.
It's not really about showing off maths skills, it's about communicating with others. You won't find any nasties on there, they are a lovely, if unruly lot!
You don't even need to answer the questions, if you don't want to, just join in the chat. That's if you can understand it, I can't!!! ?

Pantglas2 Tue 12-May-20 15:40:34

Marydoll is right Roslyn - her daily Maths Teasers are a hoot because she has a class full of the most unruly, irreverent, saucy, grammatically challenged kids - apart from me ?

Toadinthehole Tue 12-May-20 15:51:41

One of the first times I posted was on a Gransnet thread asking if we felt there was any clique ness. A few posters said they thought there was. It was followed by a poster saying to the gransnet poster, that we shouldn’t worry about these “ sensitive souls”, or words to that effect. When another poster took her to task over that remark, she became unpleasant, trying to defend what she’d said. I posted to support the first one. I had been a lurker for a while before that, and although I can’t say I particularly noticed clique ness, certain names stood out as being more argumentative than others. I personally don’t experience anything like this in real life, but I’m very discerning, and know instantly if I’m not going to click with someone.

CherryCezzy Tue 12-May-20 16:10:04

There was a thread about cliques on GN a couple of months ago with opinions on either side. I hadn’t long joined then and hadn’t formed an opinion either way. I have concluded that I don’t really think there are but I do think some posters gravitate toward each other, for whatever reason, on some threads. It can depend on the thread, “like mindedness” or opinion or recognition of something in common.
There are threads where “antagonistic” behaviour takes place. Some of this can be ott and offensive. Sometimes it appears that particular posters just don’t seem to like each other and clash on threads. When these things carry on the thread itself descends imho and I “walk” away.
There are some lovely, genuine people on GN, some of which you can find yourself disagreeing with but it doesn’t stop them from continuing to be lovely and genuine.
It is not always possible to respond to one person’s comments, even if you agree or disagree. I don’t think it’s a case that the individual is being ignored.

Charleygirl5 Tue 12-May-20 16:14:28

Marydoll I read your maths lesson today for the first time. I am challenged in that department so I didn't understand any of it but I did feel that lot should temporarily leave your class and return to English lessons.

Each is going to find it difficult being employed when they leave school because of their lack of grasp of grammar and spelling.

I was educated in Scotland and I feel they would benefit from the high standards of teaching I received.

In my day the rod was not spared- that unruly lot would soon change I think. They are unemployable at present.

BlueBelle Tue 12-May-20 16:16:01

Well I haven’t noticed it being any worse than normal I think there’s always been plenty of disagreement especially in the political Brexit threads
I don’t belong to any clique as I don’t really know anyone who posts The two good friends I ve have made through Gransnet rarely post I m very very grateful for finding them
I only occasionally get an agreement or disagreement to something I post most of the time it’s just passed by and I m sure that’s the nature of forums it’s not like FB where it’s all your friends and acquaintances reading your views
When I first joined I thought I was being purposely ignored but soon realised its normal I also felt on the outside but realise you just plod on if you want to make posts or float into the background if you don’t
I don’t think it’s worse or better than it ever has been

lemongrove Tue 12-May-20 16:16:58

Good post Cherry ??
These sort of threads pop up about every six months to a year on GN. Accusations of cliques across all threads, lamentations about being ignored etc.
Daddima, to be fair, started a thread about something different to that, but it has become the other one now.
Political threads have always been contentious, but that’s the nature of it, and it’s a lot better now than it ever used to be.
In any case there are so many friendly threads about non contentious subjects, and games, that you are spoilt for choice.?

Sparklefizz Tue 12-May-20 16:21:33

There seem to me to be a few posters who just like to stir people up and they are rude and insulting. They are the equivalent of the playground bullies. These days if I see one of them on a thread, I leave it because frankly, life's too short, and these days stressful enough.

oscaro11 Tue 12-May-20 16:28:59

I think what it boils down to is certain threads are best avoided. They attract the confrontational types who are very dogmatic. Always right types. However there are plenty of other interesting topics. I’ve learned a lot from food, gardening, health. I come here for hints and tips and not for an argument with the type of people I’d run a mile from in real life. I have been tempted to chip in on the odd occasion but, really, I’m wasting my time so now I don’t. Doesn’t mean we all agree with their views though.

LullyDully Tue 12-May-20 16:51:39

I do sometimes feel that it you are violently opposed to something you are better not posting. For example if you have a dislike of the royal family don't go there.

I have felt sneered at when talking about a favourite radio programme. My choice thank you. Th

Still it's only words and I keep away if things get too nasty.
(Thank goodness the election is over.)

Marydoll Tue 12-May-20 16:52:02

Oh Charleygirl are you trying to stir things up*??
I had a good Scottish Education, and trained at a Scottish institution.
However I have tried my best, but they are all beyond redemption.?
Despite their many failings, I love them dearly. ?

It's not always difficult algebra in class.. Some days, it is just a simple brain teaser or word problem.
It depends on how mellowed I am.

I have to say Charleygirl, you are one of the nicest members on GN, always making an effort to welcome new posters.

Bathsheba Tue 12-May-20 17:10:41

In my day the rod was not spared- that unruly lot would soon change I think. They are unemployable at present.

Oh that's a relief! The last thing I want is to be employed. I'll stick with my unruliness over there I think ???

Curlywhirly Tue 12-May-20 17:18:31

Well I have been posting regularly for about 6 months, but haven't posted now for over a week; I have instead become a lurker. Some of the comments on the political threads are awful - I am amazed at just how rude and bigoted some of the posters are. You can certainly disagree with someone without the need to call them stupid. I do agree with whywhywhy in the respect that as a new poster, you don't feel part of 'the gang' or the 'clique' but I suppose that is precisely because we are new! I will continue to lurk and dip in and out of threads, but will certainly avoid anything relating to politics.

Rosalyn69 Tue 12-May-20 17:53:18

Thank you Marydoll for your nice words.
I shall try the Maths tomorrow.

Charleygirl5 Tue 12-May-20 18:48:13

Thank you Marydoll for those kind words. I do try- not everybody appreciates my sense of humour but I am not bovvered.

A while ago I even had my head bitten off by a newbie I was trying to help. Ah well, you win some, lose some.

Oldwoman70 Tue 12-May-20 18:56:33

Isn't it really that SOME posters don't want to read another persons opinion, they want to read others agreeing with their opinion. When that doesn't happen they can resort to insults and unpleasant comments.

I like to read a good robust discussion as I find I can learn a lot from others however, once the tone becomes nasty I no leave the thread.

Marydoll Tue 12-May-20 18:56:35

I was actually thinking about that incident Charleygirl, when I was reading this thread.
It was totalled uncalled for.?

For new posters, I think that initially, a softly, softly approach may be a good strategy.