Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Private messages

(32 Posts)
Elegran Tue 06-Oct-20 13:27:37

Phoenix's thread about private messages has been deleted by GNHQ because it went into discussing absent posters. A pity, because it also aired views about PMs. I was about to post what is below on it. If people still want to discuss PMs (but not missing posters, it seems) this thread might get past the censors.

"Private messages are very useful, including ones to groups. If you are organising a meet-up somewhere, and have the names of those who want to be there (usually gained from a public post, unless it is a regular repeat meet), a PM sent to all of them can send all the details of time and place and so on, without cluttering up the forum threads.

Plus, a group of friends who meet often are not necessarily a clique! Is your family a clique? A group you were at school with? Some women you met in the maternity ward? At work? Or is it reserved for a group of Gransnetters who you have never met but whose friendship you are envious of? (and please note that this post is NOT directed at any "you" in particular, so no need for anyone to feel got at by it)"

suziewoozie Tue 06-Oct-20 18:18:11

Woof woof woof woof woof - nice example from you Elegran

kircubbin2000 Tue 06-Oct-20 18:28:54

I recently replied to a pm and
It disappeared. No idea whether it arrived.

Elegran Tue 06-Oct-20 19:11:30

I know that if you delete a message you have sent it vanishes from the recipient too, but if you delete one that you receive does it vanish from the sender?

Marydoll Tue 06-Oct-20 19:30:12

Yes it does! I caused havoc recently, by clearing out my inbox, (Good housekeeping).
Unfortunately it also cleared from the sender's inbox and they though GNHQ had been snooping! blush

Elegran Tue 06-Oct-20 20:54:01

It seems a bit daft. You might have sent someone information that they wanted to keep, but the message it was in was just cluttering up your "sent" list, so deleting it would be the obvious thing to do.

Marydoll Tue 06-Oct-20 21:19:48

I know!