Gransnet forums

Site stuff

New mental health thread

(28 Posts)
Ramblingrose22 Mon 02-Nov-20 23:17:09

Can Gransnet HQ create a new mental health thread, please?

I see that this has been suggested by those using the Health Forum and in view of the effect on mental health of coronavirus and the impending lockdown I think it's a good idea.

If others agree with me, please add a post here.

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Nov-20 01:37:50

I don't really understand your post.
Threads are started by individuals, not Gransnet HQ.
It's a public forum.

Summerlove Tue 03-Nov-20 01:39:44

I assume they meant sub heading

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Nov-20 01:49:27

Why not just start a new thread under health?
Surely you don't need a new board for every new topic?
Sorry, if I'm being dim!

Lucca Tue 03-Nov-20 06:09:43

Agree FannyCornforth. Health is health !

Oopsminty Tue 03-Nov-20 06:35:13

Isn't it due to the fact that we just have a Health option?

I can see the logic for Health and Mental Health headers

Rather like when a Covid header was introduced

Bathsheba Tue 03-Nov-20 07:49:28

You don’t meant a new thread, you mean a new forum. But we honestly do not need a whole forum for mental health. Just start a new thread in the Health Forum, and call it Mental Health. Just as there is an ongoing thread in the Health forum for people suffering from depression - The Black Dog thread, which I believe is now in its eighth incarnation.

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Nov-20 07:56:10

Sorry Bathsheba, I'm going to out pedant you!
It's a 'board'. Gransnet is the 'forum'.

But your argument is correct.
To have a separate MH board isn't inclusive - MH is only beginning to lose its stigma.
It needs to be seen as 'just another health issue'; one that any one can experience.

Marydoll Tue 03-Nov-20 08:18:14

Fanny, should it not be a Forum topic? wink
Actually I would have been the first person to post last night, but didn't understand what the OP meant. The first idea I had, was to start a new thread under health, but thought that was too simple a solution.
# Confused not very bright of Glasgow. ?

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Nov-20 08:28:32

Yes Mary- this could run and run!smile

Bathsheba Tue 03-Nov-20 08:30:32

Sorry Bathsheba, I'm going to out pedant you!
It's a 'board'. Gransnet is the 'forum'.

Haha, I would agree with you - I just followed the general trend on GN to call each Forum Topic a 'forum'. This has probably come about because GN has a tab at the top called "Forums", which implies that each topic is one of those 'forums' wink.

And yes, I agree - separate status would only serve to perpetuate the stigma of MH, as being distinct from all other health issues.

BlueBelle Tue 03-Nov-20 08:33:38

fanny I m going to outmanoeuvre you ??? because if you click on the word FORUM at the top of your screen up come all the various categories or groups as you are calling them but gransnet actually does call them forums so bathsheba is correct

Rowantree Tue 03-Nov-20 08:36:02

I suggested it in the Black Dog thread. I meant a whole new forum, not just a thread. That way those of us who have mental health issues, or whose family members or friends do, can look for relevant threads more easily.
What's the problem with that? You don't have to post on it or read it if you don't wish to. There are forums (fora??) for just about everything else.

Marydoll Tue 03-Nov-20 08:36:12

Actually, should it not be Fora ? ?

Rowantree Tue 03-Nov-20 08:36:36

All right, Fanny, 'board', then!

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Nov-20 08:36:44

Humph! envy
(crosses arms and looks the other way)

Rowantree Tue 03-Nov-20 08:37:59

Why on earth would it stigmatise mental health? Sorry, I don't get it. It's being open about it, surely.

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Nov-20 08:38:14

Wow! This thread is moving really fast!
(Thanks Rowantree for your supportsmile)

Marydoll Tue 03-Nov-20 08:39:34

To get back to the topic, a mental health heading may be a good idea, and make the topic more accessible. There are so many physical health threads, its sometimes hard to find information.

Rowantree Tue 03-Nov-20 08:42:50

Fanny I'd welcome the chance to look through specific mental health threads in a dedicated forum. Others might or might not agree but it'd be there for those who want to access it. The range of topics is potentially vast.

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Nov-20 08:43:38

Rowantree

Why on earth would it stigmatise mental health? Sorry, I don't get it. It's being open about it, surely.

I find it quite difficult to articulate, so bear with me.
It's like the world is split between those with MH difficulties and those who don't. A bit like disabled / able bodied.
I put myself very much in the MH camp, and I know others are firm in the non MH camp.
But things aren't like that - things are more fluid.
The non MH people can be very reluctant to accept that they, or loved ones, are experiencing difficulties.
MH needs to be accepted as part of everyone's experience.

Rowantree Tue 03-Nov-20 08:43:40

Marydoll yes, completely agree.

Rowantree Tue 03-Nov-20 08:46:25

Fanny yeah, but...no, but....if you don't want to post in it, then you can post where you usually do - nothing coercive about it, surely? Just another option for some. I am also very much in the MH camp, and while I agree that it needs to be more widely discussed and accepted, it's still good to have the opportunity for specific support, info and discussion for those who wish it.

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Nov-20 08:48:25

To be honest, after all of that, I can definitely see arguments for and against.
I feel strongly about MH, but I don't think that it would matter greatly if there was or wasn't a separate MH board / forum / forum topic etc smile

Rowantree Tue 03-Nov-20 08:48:45

Fanny I do get your points, though, and agree with the fluidity thing. I'm repeating myself, but it would provide another option for anyone who wants it and for those who don't, there's the general Health forum :-)