Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Recipes - a dedicated thread, maybe?

(32 Posts)
ixion Fri 29-Jan-21 12:04:11

Having trawled back to try to locate the Dish of the Day, S.O.A.P., to give it a try, I was wondering whether there would be any support for the idea of a dedicated thread to enable oft-requested recipes to be posted and easily found when the urge to create takes hold?
I remember a Mars bar recipe which received high acclaim a while back, but have no idea now where to find it!

Or perhaps this has been tried before ?

Blinko Fri 29-Jan-21 12:07:04

If only the GN search facility actually operated solely on GN, not the whole www! Failing that, your suggestion makes sense.

Jangran99 Fri 29-Jan-21 12:12:09

The Mars bar recipe was courtesy of Marydoll. I liked it so much I copied it, so here it is Yummmygrin

MARS BAR CAKE
Oil a baking tray.

3OZ HARD BLOCK MARGARINE
3 LARGE MARS BARS (or pack of 5 Lidl copycat ones,)
3oz COCO POPS or supermarket own brand.
200g of cheap supermarket chocolate. 1 plain, 1 milk.

Melt the marge and cut up Mars bars in microwave in 30 sec bursts. Mix well with a fork until you have a gooey mess, with no lumps.
Add the coco pops, you may need to add a wee bit more.
Spread out in the tin and put in fridge to set, it only takes minutes.
Melt your chocolates together and spread over the mix. Cool in fridge.

ixion Fri 29-Jan-21 12:16:01

Jangran99 Thank you so much!
Maybe I should just start doing the same?!

dragonfly46 Fri 29-Jan-21 12:18:28

This is a great idea. I too trawled through the Good Morning threads for the SOAP recipe.
You are famous Urmston - a new career perhaps?

Marydoll Fri 29-Jan-21 13:04:57

Fame at last, Jan! ?

FannyCornforth Fri 29-Jan-21 13:20:43

Hello!
Please tell me what this SOAP dish thing is, or where to find it.
Thank you very much!

kittylester Fri 29-Jan-21 13:56:47

But, we have a recipe section? Wouldn't it be better to put things there? Not soap obvs!!

Callistemon Fri 29-Jan-21 14:51:48

I hope this works:

www.gransnet.com/recipes

If you put them in this section, others can find them.
However, it's not at all clear as, to find it, you have to click on More on the top bar (just under the Gransnet logo) then carefully slide your cursor or finger along to Food on the lefthand side underneath.

Callistemon Fri 29-Jan-21 14:52:32

In fact, I will report my post as I think GHNHQ could make the food/recipe section simpler to find.

Kate54 Fri 29-Jan-21 14:54:28

Good plan. Urmston should bring out a book.

Kate54 Fri 29-Jan-21 14:56:06

Fannycornforth SOAP stands for Sage, Onion and Apple Pork. It gets frequent mentions on the wonderful Good Morning thread and is v. delicious. And v. simple for thos fed up with cooking.

Callistemon Fri 29-Jan-21 14:58:49

I was going to do the Hairy Bikers' pork recipe this weekend, it sounds very similar to the S.O.A.P. one.

Kate54 Fri 29-Jan-21 15:04:20

Here’s Urms’ original (hope she doesn’t mind)

Cut up 3 pork steaks, put in flat oven proof dish.
Chop an onion and a baking apple and put on top.
Sprinkle heaped teaspoon of sage (dried) over and half teaspoon salt.
Pour 3 tablespoons water on top, cover with foil and bake one and a quarter hours, fan 180°C.

Remove from oven and top with buttery or cheesy mash (or parsnip/ swede thrown in)
Bake again for 25 minutes (with or without foil) when ready to eat.

Easy peasy and really delicious. We like it with spring greens.

ixion Fri 29-Jan-21 16:14:04

Apologies - I was looking under R for Recipes in the 'Forums' section.
I will now explore the 'More' red header (but also write down those I fancy as soon as I read them on a thread!)

shysal Fri 29-Jan-21 17:14:16

I also struggle to find the recipe section. My favourite is for Apple Cake from Baggs ( there are others from different members). When the GCs go off back to University each term (not recently!), I always send a supply of tray bakes for them to share with their housemates.
www.gransnet.com/recipes/dish/6620-Apple-Cake
I just found it on the desktop site by clicking on 'more' then 'food' and 'find a recipe'.

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-Jan-21 17:32:07

Hi all - thank you for your suggestions about making the recipes on site easier to find. smile

We're going to have a look into how we can do this, and we'll get back to you with an update on Monday. flowers

Callistemon Sat 30-Jan-21 10:52:11

Thank you Natasha

ixion Sat 30-Jan-21 13:38:24

Thank you for your time and efforts, Natasha.
Results eagerly awaited!

Callistemon Sat 30-Jan-21 14:58:53

I'm sure Food used to be a main heading along the top but perhaps Coronavirus and Menopause have knocked it off the top spot?

Is anyone interested in Style and Beauty at the moment or are we all wandering around without makeup, with haystack hair (DH's description of mine) and wearing comfy trousers and sweaters?

kittylester Sat 30-Jan-21 15:14:25

I thought Food was there too, calkistemon and I used to enjoy scanning through it. I've got an idea we had something like Recipe of the day or week, didn't we.

Callistemon Sat 30-Jan-21 15:45:59

It's still there, kittylester but it's a sub-heading of More.

Yes please - more recipes!

Riverwalk Thu 04-Feb-21 14:20:09

Yesterday I finally got round to making Urmston's SOAP recipe!

I expect this is not quite how it's supposed to look but I did use red onions as that's all I had. Plus the topping is mashed cauliflower, in keeping with my low-carb diet.

I'd forgotten how good is the combination of pork, sage & onion smile

Callistemon Thu 04-Feb-21 15:11:29

I'd forgotten how good is the combination of pork, sage & onion

I was going to make something similar at the weekend but the sage had not grown at all and I'd run out of dried sage so had to use rosemary and thyme instead. It was good but sage would have been better.

kittylester Thu 04-Feb-21 15:28:08

Is this why I didnt get sage on my Sainsbury's order this week?