Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Acronyms DDiL DSiL DMiL DFiL requested please

(124 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

ElderlyPerson Sun 31-Oct-21 13:32:07

I consider that it would be good if the Gransnet Acronyms list were also to include DDiL, DSiL, DMiL anf DFiL and I hope that GNHQ will add these abbreviations to the list.

A LINK to the Gransnet Acronyms list

Is there anyone who agrees with this and is willing to post in this thread in the hope that GNHQ will add these abbreviations to the list?

ElderlyPerson Mon 01-Nov-21 09:41:43

ixion

How do you address yours, EP?

Alas I have never been married, so no mother-in-law. but had it happened I think that I would, if she had agreed, have addressed her as Auntie Given-name, as, being both a generational difference and in a family setting, that would have seemed best in my opinion.

Please note I am here expressing my opinion of what I would have done, I am not in any way saying what other people should or should not do.

ElderlyPerson Mon 01-Nov-21 09:50:02

FannyCornforth

FannyCornforth

That has been tried various times EP

A variety of threads at numerous times, rather

Well, try again.

From a fresh start.

No need to say that in year X you were asked Y but you did not act et cetera et cetera and moan.

Please remember the saying "Do not grumble away your opportunities."

You could start a new thread now and ask politely what you want, report the post to GNHQ and maybe you will be successful.

ixion Mon 01-Nov-21 10:02:31

Please form an orderly queue EP.
These threads refer to faulty aspects of the Gransnet site, and are still awaiting resolution-

www.gransnet.com/forums/technology/1302404-Help?msgid=29005243

www.gransnet.com/forums/site_stuff/1302343-Safe-Browsing-Site-Status?msgid=29012016

FannyCornforth Mon 01-Nov-21 10:03:22

EP I, and others, would like the Search Function to work.
We have asked; reminded; started threads; posted on threads; emailed; and reported.
It still doesn’t work.
Likewise the malfunctioning Active List.

FannyCornforth Mon 01-Nov-21 10:03:48

Cross post with ixion smile

Calistemon Mon 01-Nov-21 10:05:26

Many thanks to Calistemon for supporting this request.

I did say I understood what you meant, ElderlyPerson and agree but I the acronyms aren't compulsory so we can call our daughters-in-law DDIL if we wish etc.
Or write it out in full each time (if we can be bothered).

And I did point out that 'D' could mean anything we like grin

Calistemon Mon 01-Nov-21 10:07:53

It's all rather daft anyway.
If I was chatting about a son, a daughter, my husband to someone in Real Life then I wouldn't refer to them as 'Dear Daughter', 'Dear Son' or 'Dear Husband' (or Darling either).

FannyCornforth Mon 01-Nov-21 10:09:40

Oh, and I also instigated The GN Day of Action, with others, so I do have form!

Calistemon Mon 01-Nov-21 10:10:11

^My dear husband is being a pain in the neck^’?

Doodledog?

Perhaps HI?
(Him Indoors)
Unless he's outside of course!

FannyCornforth Mon 01-Nov-21 10:11:04

Calistemon yes, it’s just a bit of a joke really. Another poster described it as ‘a community thing’.

Juliet27 Mon 01-Nov-21 10:11:51

D = Damn often !!

ixion Mon 01-Nov-21 10:21:09

FannyCornforth

Oh, and I also instigated The GN Day of Action, with others, so I do have form!

?

MayBeMaw Mon 01-Nov-21 10:48:37

How often has it been said that you dont need to be given permission to use any a abbreviation you choose.
DDIL, PITA, FH if you want or not.
This is not an Enid Blytonesque secret society where set rules must be followed. Conventions or abbreviations are offered i.e. suggested . No more no less.
Now unless we need to consult HQ on permitted paint drying times, I am sure there are more pressing topics for discussion.
And please, please can we not go down the auntie Jane rabbit hole again.

rockgran Mon 01-Nov-21 10:50:36

I prefer to type and read full words - I think that acronyms spoil the flow of reading a post - sometimes I feel I am reading a coded message from a spy and often have to give up as I have lost the plot. confused

Mollygo Mon 01-Nov-21 11:50:31

I don’t need any more abbreviations.
I’ve just watched a programme where DC was acceptable but AC was being publicised as something dangerous!
Nothing to do with offspring but possibly right all the same.

Ro60 Mon 01-Nov-21 12:05:54

Another No here, I think you stand alone EP

ElderlyPerson Mon 01-Nov-21 13:18:54

Ro60

Another No here, I think you stand alone EP

Yes I probably do.

Yet if nobody ever puts an idea forward lest the idea might be rejected or even ridiculed, then some ideas that do get through might never have been put forward nor implemented.

So, c'est la vie and move on.

Kim19 Mon 01-Nov-21 13:23:49

Doddery or dopey springs to mind for me.

ElderlyPerson Mon 01-Nov-21 15:16:12

MayBeMaw wrote

> And please, please can we not go down the auntie Jane rabbit hole again.

Ah, what we do not know is whether that idea has been taken up. That idea might have been just what was needed in some families and some people might have seen the post and thought it a good idea and applied it in practice.

It could perhaps be helpful to mention the idea in the Gransnet page about mother-in-law and daughter-in-law relationships. as a possibility, not at all obligatory.

Calistemon Mon 01-Nov-21 15:37:39

I think I had my fill of acronyms with Line of Duty!

The CHIS reported to the MIT about a member of the OCG and the decision was made to send out the AFOs in an ARV. Several GSW were heard and a FI attended the scene along with the ACC.
As a result, PIM and NABIS were called in.

Esspee Mon 01-Nov-21 15:53:46

Calistemon. What, no mention of the wee donkey?

Calistemon Mon 01-Nov-21 16:00:42

?

I was busy floating up the LIAB!

Galaxy Mon 01-Nov-21 16:24:35

Oh crikey EP that article is one of hundreds they churn out, it's not a legal document, they will have not given it a second thought after they churned it out. They wont have seen any link between that and their abbreviations. Its bland saccharine advice to fill up some space (sorry GNgrin). They probably have an article somewhere on speaking respectfully but they still allow the use of this hmm emoji.

M0nica Mon 01-Nov-21 17:16:24

Being brought up in an army family, acronyms were an integral part of my life.

ElderlyPerson Mon 01-Nov-21 17:36:12

Galaxy

Oh crikey EP that article is one of hundreds they churn out, it's not a legal document, they will have not given it a second thought after they churned it out. They wont have seen any link between that and their abbreviations. Its bland saccharine advice to fill up some space (sorry GNgrin). They probably have an article somewhere on speaking respectfully but they still allow the use of this hmm emoji.

Well it has been published and that makes it a Matter of Public Interest, so they have opened the door to comments.

I noticed that it does not carry a date.

When you say it is not a legal document, what exactly do you mean?

It has been published and it needs to be archived by The British Library.

The lack of a date on the publication is unhelpful to future historians as well as present day readers.