Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Acronyms DDiL DSiL DMiL DFiL requested please

(123 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

ElderlyPerson Sun 31-Oct-21 13:32:07

I consider that it would be good if the Gransnet Acronyms list were also to include DDiL, DSiL, DMiL anf DFiL and I hope that GNHQ will add these abbreviations to the list.

A LINK to the Gransnet Acronyms list

Is there anyone who agrees with this and is willing to post in this thread in the hope that GNHQ will add these abbreviations to the list?

M0nica Sun 31-Oct-21 14:00:55

i would have thought they were all quite easy to work out from the handlist we are provided with.

tanith Sun 31-Oct-21 14:02:37

What MOnica said.

Smileless2012 Sun 31-Oct-21 14:03:04

I think they're self explanatory but that could be because I'm so used too seeing and using them.

ixion Sun 31-Oct-21 14:21:55

Once you have worked out that iL stands for in law, I think the rest is easy to deduce.
Or perhaps not?

ElderlyPerson Sun 31-Oct-21 14:31:14

M0nica

i would have thought they were all quite easy to work out from the handlist we are provided with.

Oh certainly.

Yet as the Gransnet advice in an undated (recent?) page is to treat a Daughter-in-Law as if she is a Daughter, I just have an intuitive instinctive feeling that if DDiL and DMiL were used rather than DiL and MiL then maybe, just maybe, some issues that one reads about in Gransnet might become resolved.

So, as the Gransnet advice is that, how about acting on that advice with adding those four acronyms please.

Maybe thinking of him as DSiL rather than SiL might help in some situations too.

Will anyone support this suggestion please?

Calistemon Sun 31-Oct-21 14:46:10

I know what you meant, ElderlyPerson!

Yes, I agree.

M0nica Sun 31-Oct-21 14:53:55

I am obviously being obtuse, I often am, but I just assume that is just DiL, MiL, SiL are neutral statement of relationship and you add the extra D when you want to indicate that your DiL, MiL, SiL etc etc are very dear to you. I wouldn't add the extra 'D' where I was referring to someone elses relation.

I always refer to my wonderful DiL as DDiL and would happily add another halfdozen D's in front of her name as well

greenlady102 Sun 31-Oct-21 14:57:43

M0nica

I am obviously being obtuse, I often am, but I just assume that is just DiL, MiL, SiL are neutral statement of relationship and you add the extra D when you want to indicate that your DiL, MiL, SiL etc etc are very dear to you. I wouldn't add the extra 'D' where I was referring to someone elses relation.

I always refer to my wonderful DiL as DDiL and would happily add another halfdozen D's in front of her name as well

yes and I find it weird when people post about a relative who is being "difficult" (understatement) and still put the "D" in front of the acronym!

sodapop Sun 31-Oct-21 15:22:18

Oh please no more abbreviations, the ones we have are annoying enough.

Lucca Sun 31-Oct-21 15:26:42

Surely it’s up to us to add the D if we want, or not, but I’m afraid for me it’s just no big deal !

Soroptimum Sun 31-Oct-21 15:35:19

AC definitely needs adding to the list as I recently had to ask what it meant! (Adult child)

ElderlyPerson Sun 31-Oct-21 15:38:40

Lucca

Surely it’s up to us to add the D if we want, or not, but I’m afraid for me it’s just no big deal !

Yes, it is a decision for a person posting.

I am suggesting four additional acronyms be listed, not changing those that are there.

It just seems incompatible for Gransnet to suggest treating a Daughter-in-Law like a Daughter, yet Gransnet not list an acronym to apply the policy that Gransnet is advocating that people should apply.

It is not a big deal, it is just a suggestion for a small action that might possibly be helpful in some circumstances.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 31-Oct-21 15:39:48

I hate the acronyms and never use them. Why add more? How often do you read a thread mentioning a D whatever who is anything but D to the poster?

BlueBelle Sun 31-Oct-21 15:42:36

Its not easy because Sil can be son in law, or sister in Law DiL can be daughter in law or dog in lavender
It’s ridiculous that grown people can’t be bothered to write in full, then moan and groan about kids using text speak ?

I hate them it’s lazy language I don’t use them and I urge anyone not happy with them don’t use them either it takes two seconds to write sister in law, by the time you ve changed to capitals it’s already done.
AIHE work that one out DP

M0nica Sun 31-Oct-21 15:43:33

Some threads make it very clear that mother and daughter are at odds for all kinds of reasons and some daughters are anything but D to their parents.

ElderlyPerson Sun 31-Oct-21 16:01:16

> AIHE work that one out DP

Am I Highly Erudite

and

Dear Poet

BlueBelle Sun 31-Oct-21 16:04:18

Thanks for trying ElderlyPerson it’s “Anyway I ve Had Enough” …Dear People

Blinko Sun 31-Oct-21 16:10:28

...dog in lavender excellent grin

Calistemon Sun 31-Oct-21 16:26:52

Lucca

Nor to me, but I do get EP's point that the GNHQ recommended acronyms with the extra D refer to a daughter or son as 'dear' or 'darling' but daughter-in-law or son-in-law are just that, neither dear nor darling.

Of course, 'D' could mean dratted.

BlueBelle Sun 31-Oct-21 16:45:28

Dastardly, dubious, dangerous or detested or even delightful

Lucca Sun 31-Oct-21 16:49:03

Dreaded, domineering, delinquent, delicious, danish…..

Calistemon Sun 31-Oct-21 16:51:50

Daft?
Dysfunctional?
Daring?
Defiant?

Calistemon Sun 31-Oct-21 16:53:32

The last two sound like ships ?

Sago Sun 31-Oct-21 16:53:37

I hate the “ D for darling” and will not use it ever.
I do however love my DIL dearly.