Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Please GNHQ ... would you consider letting *EllanVannin* come back to this site?

(360 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Urmstongran Fri 03-Dec-21 15:34:03

This lady of 81y lives alone and GN was a great source of company for her. These long winter days are difficult for many to cope with at the best of times. I learned recently that she was given a lifetime ban. I feel very sad about this.

In the spirit of ? and goodwill to all, would you let her rejoin?

Caleo Wed 08-Dec-21 14:46:25

GrandmasueUK, flowers

GrandmasueUK Tue 07-Dec-21 21:51:15

Robin Gibbs sings Ellan Vannin and it’s just gorgeous. m.youtube.com/watch?v=DECeG5mZOjI
The Bee Gees were born in the Isle of Man and moved to Manchester when they were young. We used to go to the Isle of Man every summer, on holiday, when my brother and I were young. It holds such lovely memories and I was reminded of them daily when I saw EV’s name in the GM thread. My brother died at the beginning of the pandemic and I chose the song to be played at his service.

lavenderzen Tue 07-Dec-21 16:49:41

What a lovely poem Caleo.

lavenderzen Tue 07-Dec-21 16:47:23

Thank you Hebe, good to hear.

M0nica Tue 07-Dec-21 15:08:37

Delighted to hear that.

AGAA4 Tue 07-Dec-21 11:44:27

Lovely poem Caleo

Aldom Tue 07-Dec-21 11:14:41

Good news. Thank you Hebe GN

Aveline Tue 07-Dec-21 10:15:36

sunshine

Caleo Tue 07-Dec-21 10:11:57

Glammanana, she probably knows the following sweet lyric.

When the summer day is over,
Its busy cares have flown,
I will sit beneath the starlight,
With a weary heart alone.
Then it rises like a vision
Sparkling bright it shines for me
My own dear Ellan Vannin
With its green hills by the sea
Let me hear the ocean murmur
Let me watch your stormy sky
Then above the emerald waters
Sings the seagull as she flies
Then arising like a vision
Sparkling bright it shines for me
My own dear Ellan Vannin
With its green hills by the sea
And in all my times of sorrow
And on some lonely shore
I'll go back to Ellan Vannin
To my childhood days once more

glammanana Tue 07-Dec-21 10:06:43

Good news thanks Hebe GNHQ
I am off to EVs after lunch today with her xmas card,I have not been able to get there any earlier due to an attack of sciatica over the week-end and walking was a bit painful looking forward to seeing her later.
If you are reading this EV I'll be around about 2ish x

Caleo Tue 07-Dec-21 10:04:18

Alegrias wrote:

"--- the brand image is probably one of not letting anything stand that GNHQ/Mumsnet could be sued for publishing."

I agree. Gransnet is a subsidiary of Mumsnet, However I suspect there are extra, patronising, strictures on Gransnet to the purpose of attracting and retaining supporters among older women.

Caleo Tue 07-Dec-21 09:57:38

P.S. I disapprove of bigotry, There is a lot of it on the other forums I go to, and when it happens it is a springboard for others to contest it.

There is also a lot of stupidity, ignorance, and bad manners, on other forums. these also are contested, especially ignorance.

I respect the ultimate decisions of the website owners . I don't allow severe ad hominem verbal cruelty but apart from illegal material I and other mods allow people's ideas however unpopular.
It's true that brand image matters on these other forums. There are different brands aimed at different demographics. Horses for courses.

Urmstongran Tue 07-Dec-21 09:54:41

Thank you so much Hebe I’m delighted to read your HQ response.

I know EV reads the threads so I imagine she’s aware of this one. Also Glammanana lives nearby and did say she was calling today with her Christmas card so I did p.m. her last night asking her to mention it.

Grannybags Tue 07-Dec-21 09:50:19

That is good news. ?

Alegrias1 Tue 07-Dec-21 09:46:00

No, the brand image is probably one of not letting anything stand that GNHQ/Mumsnet could be sued for publishing.

Caleo Tue 07-Dec-21 09:43:25

Gagajo wrote:
"My POV is that bigotry is never acceptable. But it happens. And when it isn't reported, GNHQ aren't aware of it going on (there are thousands of posts in the forums everyday, they can't see them all). But if they are aware, well... brand image must be maintained."

That is a good point . I suppose the brand image is one of polite and respectable older women who don't write anything to spook the horses..

mokryna Tue 07-Dec-21 08:45:16

Thank you Hebe GN
It is very difficult when older people, especially living alone, are not in the main stream of working life, to realize that what we grew up with for most of our lives is now illegal, when we write without double checking. Thé send button clicks and there isn’t a way of changing the message.
A good example is what was on tv in the 60s and 70s.

Lauren59 Tue 07-Dec-21 04:22:01

I just noticed that GN responded! Thank you GN. I hope Ellan sees this thread.

Lauren59 Tue 07-Dec-21 04:18:48

I requested that she be reinstated when we had the GN Day of Action. I hope this time headquarters will reconsider and allow her to return. We all miss her!

Blossoming Tue 07-Dec-21 00:03:40

Thank you HebeGransnet. I hope a satisfactory outcome can be achieved.

Mollygo Mon 06-Dec-21 23:43:33

Thanks Hebe.

Jaxjacky Mon 06-Dec-21 16:58:05

Thank you Hebe ??

mrshat Mon 06-Dec-21 16:49:01

Thank you Hebe - Happy Christmas!

Nannagarra Mon 06-Dec-21 16:08:38

That’s wonderful news, Hebe. Merry Christmas to you. ?

GagaJo Mon 06-Dec-21 16:04:52

There are some on here, even in this thread, Kircubbin, who break the racism, homophobia, sexism standards.