Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Ignore button

(49 Posts)
Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 08:35:15

I've posted on other sites where you can press an 'ignore' button if you no longer wish to be able to read posts from certain posters.

I wonder would there be any possibility of having one on Gransnet. Just as in real life we all know people we find difficult to deal with, there will often be two posters who just irritate the hell out of each other.

Being able to press an ignore button keeps things calm, and allows posters some control over who they wish to communicate with and who they'd rather just not get into argybargy with.
Obviously you can just ignore a poster anyway, but that's sometimes easier said than done.

Anyone else think an ignore button would be useful?

Esspee Mon 21-Mar-22 08:39:58

There are a couple of posters whom I would happily press an eject button on to be honest.

Kandinsky Mon 21-Mar-22 08:40:12

Definitely. But they’ll never do it.
Mumsnet/ gransnet seem to be the only social media sites that won’t allow it.
No idea why?

MerylStreep Mon 21-Mar-22 08:45:08

Beswiched
Do you think this issue has never been raised since the inception of GN.
I’ve been here since 2011 and I can’t tell you how many times this has been asked, although you could try.

Why can’t you just ignore posters that annoy you, I do.
Don’t take it all so seriously.

MawtheMerrier Mon 21-Mar-22 08:52:36

MerylStreep smilesmile
We’ll have requests for an Edit function next! grin

Shinamae Mon 21-Mar-22 08:55:19

Very easy to ignore posters who annoy you

Millie22 Mon 21-Mar-22 08:56:04

Yes as there are some posters who start multiple threads all the time ?

Ro60 Mon 21-Mar-22 08:58:37

There is the "Hide" option.

Poppyred Mon 21-Mar-22 08:59:34

I’ve asked for this before, to no avail. There are a handful of posters that I would gladly push that button for!

Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 08:59:35

MawtheMerrier

MerylStreep smilesmile
We’ll have requests for an Edit function next! grin

Oh yes, that would be helpful as well. I've thought that so many times.

I'm so sorry Meryl. I've only been on here a couple of years and only discovered site stuff recently. I shall search now for other threads on the subject. Thanks.

Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 09:00:44

Ro60

There is the "Hide" option.

Oh I haven't seen that. How does it work?

Thanks

Kim19 Mon 21-Mar-22 09:03:55

I'm with MerylStreep on this. I know some of us have met but mostly we are complete strangers in reality. Why take it so seriously? There are some really fun, helpful, interesting and informed posts on here. I make the most of that asset whilst constantly being aware that I 'know' no one in reality. Oh sure, we are drawn to some more than others. That's natural. I really enjoy it on here but obviously some comments are not to my liking. Those tend to be the bullying, unkind and smartypants posters but, as has been said many times, they are instantly recogniseable and easily ignored. Just seem out what you like\appreciate and enjoy. ?

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Mar-22 09:07:36

Yes. I’ve been employing the hide button on a regular basis of late

Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 09:09:58

I take your point Kim19, but I think they can be useful at times. Some people do take unkind comments or a sense that a poster is picking on them to heart. An ignore button allows them to escape that. Some posters are robust, some are more fragile or are going through a vulnerable time.
I think posters on other forums have found them helpful.

Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 09:10:43

FannyCornforth

Yes. I’ve been employing the hide button on a regular basis of late

How does that work? It sounds interesting.

MerylStreep Mon 21-Mar-22 09:10:46

Maw
Ahhh, the old Edit button request how I miss them ?

volver Mon 21-Mar-22 09:11:05

I wouldn't like an ignore button. Despite all the argy bargy that goes on, most of the threads are conversations, basically. Imagine if you were ignoring a poster, and then come along later and say exactly the same as s/he has said. Or something that couldn't be true because of something the "ignored" person has said. It would make for a very odd conversation.

Hide the thread, if you don't want to see it. You can do it on the mobile sites, from the little down arrow on the top right hand side. I've found that to be very helpful, recently, like Fanny .

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 21-Mar-22 09:11:25

I just ignore unhelpful or ignorant comments. I know by now where most of them come from.

MerylStreep Mon 21-Mar-22 09:13:10

I don’t know about hide there are some I’d like to bury.

MawtheMerrier Mon 21-Mar-22 09:13:23

Your concern is appreciated Beswitched but “some people” are presumably quite capable of taking care of themselves as evidenced by Millie22, Shinamae, Ro60 and others.

JaneJudge Mon 21-Mar-22 09:14:19

I don't have a hide function but I do have an under stairs cupboard

Ro60 Mon 21-Mar-22 09:14:36

Hide - click on the thread.
Click pink arrow top right hand side
Click hide discussion.

Hope this helps. It might be different on the "desk top" option.

Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 09:14:56

MerylStreep

Maw
Ahhh, the old Edit button request how I miss them ?

Oh I do wish we could have one of those. Even with preview I often miss a typo or an inappropriate auto correct.

Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 09:15:20

Ro60

Hide - click on the thread.
Click pink arrow top right hand side
Click hide discussion.

Hope this helps. It might be different on the "desk top" option.

Thank you smile

MawtheMerrier Mon 21-Mar-22 09:15:39

JaneJudge

I don't have a hide function but I do have an under stairs cupboard

gringrin
It may yet come to that!