Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Ignore button

(50 Posts)
Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 08:35:15

I've posted on other sites where you can press an 'ignore' button if you no longer wish to be able to read posts from certain posters.

I wonder would there be any possibility of having one on Gransnet. Just as in real life we all know people we find difficult to deal with, there will often be two posters who just irritate the hell out of each other.

Being able to press an ignore button keeps things calm, and allows posters some control over who they wish to communicate with and who they'd rather just not get into argybargy with.
Obviously you can just ignore a poster anyway, but that's sometimes easier said than done.

Anyone else think an ignore button would be useful?

Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 09:17:30

MawtheMerrier

Your concern is appreciated Beswitched but “some people” are presumably quite capable of taking care of themselves as evidenced by Millie22, Shinamae, Ro60 and others.

Oh yes of course they are. But you do sometimes see posters becoming upset, or even leaving Gransnet because of unpleasant posters. I just wonder if they could 'ignore' them would it encourage them to stay.

We all have different needs I suppose.

Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 09:19:19

MerylStreep

I don’t know about hide there are some I’d like to bury.

grin

volver Mon 21-Mar-22 09:21:04

People who report are considered the devil's children on here, but if someone is being a bully or being unreasonable, report them.

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Mar-22 09:22:00

I’m beginning to miss our old friend with a penchant for onesies and body spray…

MawtheMerrier Mon 21-Mar-22 09:24:35

There IS a school uniform thread though…….grin

Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 09:30:10

volver

People who report are considered the devil's children on here, but if someone is being a bully or being unreasonable, report them.

Yes there does seem to be strong feelings about reporting from some posters. But sometimes it's the best way to deal with a situation.

BlueBelle Mon 21-Mar-22 09:32:48

FC we haven’t had that for a long time and the cheap Ugg boots I miss them ?
I don’t want to hide anybody because it would be boring to have all the same opinions but I ve always wanted a edit button but ……….sigh

volver Mon 21-Mar-22 09:36:03

Now my rant about the edit button....

If we had an edit button people could go back and change what they'd said and deny any knowledge if they were being nasty or rude.

Bet you all wish you could ignore me now wink

Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 09:41:03

volver

Now my rant about the edit button....

If we had an edit button people could go back and change what they'd said and deny any knowledge if they were being nasty or rude.

Bet you all wish you could ignore me now wink

I agree an open ended edit button would be abused by rude and spiteful posters. But one that allows you to edit within 5 minutes of posting would be helpful I think. I nearly always spot some stupid typo in my post just after I've hit the send button blush

Doodledog Mon 21-Mar-22 09:42:09

Many other boards have an edit button that only allows edits for five minutes, and even then adds that it has been edited. Yes, someone could post a 'nasty' comment and delete it 4 minutes later, but it's clear that the post has been changed, and the odds are that not everyone has read it.

IME that sometimes leads to people posting screenshots of the original, but that's usually just to put paid to false accusations of tactical editing.

On the whole, an edit function stops all the 'I meant to say bilge instead of bulge' posts - which can be useful, but cuts down on the comedy opportunities grin

Doodledog Mon 21-Mar-22 09:43:13

See - with an edit button I could delete my post, as Beswitched has already said what I did grin

Iam64 Mon 21-Mar-22 09:45:13

The report button is necessary but can be used and abused

volver Mon 21-Mar-22 09:49:14

There does seem to be a belief that anybody who gets reported gets deleted and that vendettas by reporters can get people cancelled.

I do not believe that is the case.

If someone reports continually and maliciously, I give the moderators enough credit that they can see that as well as we could.

LauraNorderr Mon 21-Mar-22 09:59:40

Some posters can be quite sharp and even hurtful on some threads but then can be knowledgeable, informative and helpful on another.
Some can be dismissive and sarcastic on a thread and then caring and compassionate when required elsewhere.
It would be a shame to choose to ignore and then miss the nicer side of someone.
My strategy for dealing with the few that I find unbearable is to picture them as a cartoon character, round, red faced with horns and a tail then I can laugh when they appear and not be at all upset or offended.
I agree with those who say not to take it all too seriously.

Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 10:03:01

I agree Volver. Posters can't just get other posters deleted willy nilly. They have to be either breaching guidelines or quoting deleted posts.

Sometimes just asking for a rude or spiteful post to be deleted is better than answering the post and drawing the wrath of an already overwrought poster on you.

That's why I would also find an ignore button helpful. On another site some weird pister started following me around threads arguing with me and being insulting. I had no idea what I'd done to upset them but they seemed almost obsessed with finding my posts and popping up on every thread I appeared on.

Eventually I just pressed the ignore button. I unpressed it a few weeks later and they'd found someone else to harass and never bothered me again.

Doodledog Mon 21-Mar-22 10:03:54

I wouldn't use an ignore button, but see no reason why those who want one shouldn't have one. They wouldn't be compulsory, would they?

Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 10:03:59

Jeeze I've done it again. POSTER not Pister.

Where's that edit button????

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Mar-22 10:13:50

Funnily enough, I reported someone quite recently for following a poster around for the sole reason of pointlessly argue with them

Spinnaker Mon 21-Mar-22 10:28:32

FannyCornforth

Funnily enough, I reported someone quite recently for following a poster around for the sole reason of pointlessly argue with them

Why ? Surely the poster who is allegedly being followed is more than able to report - if it's bothering them. It's not down to you to act as the thread police. Remember, we're all grown ups, yes ?

Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 11:39:31

That was kind of you Fanny. But unless somebody was doing it to me I honestly don't think I'd notice. As Spinnaker said it's probably easier to let the person concerned report if they're feeling harassed. They might not have noticed or be just deliberately ignoring it because they find it silly or amusing.

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Mar-22 18:12:58

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Beswitched Mon 21-Mar-22 19:59:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vintagejazz Fri 01-Apr-22 20:59:46

I used to post on digital spy forum which had an ignore button. I only used it a couple of times but found it helpful when you encountered a totally obnoxious or creepy poster who was obviously trying to rile you. More dignified than having to put up with their posts or constantly get them removed.

Jaxjacky Fri 01-Apr-22 22:15:52

Having not been on here that long, has anything been changed after people have requested it from HQ?