Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Posting pictures of children on this site.

(151 Posts)
Marydoll Tue 03-May-22 13:05:17

I have been prompted to post this, after having some concerns I have had over the last few days about pictures of grandchildren on several threads on this forum.

The internet safety advice from the authorities is not to post pictures of children on public forums, even more so. if they are wearing school uniforms. This makes them easily identifiable to paedophiles. We could only have back or side views of pupils on our school website, with no names included. That advice came from the LA.
I was responsible for internet safety in my school and involved in LA initiatives. Some of the scenarios, we were told about at Police Scotland training programmes, would horrify you.

This is one of the first things we alerted parents to, when I delivered internet safety advice to parents in my school.
It was also continuously reinforced to our pupils, not to post their pictures and even more so, their real names.
Photos on forums, like GN can be easily manipulated.
I am always uneasy when posters on here do it.
I have done it once, when it was a wedding photo, no names and even more importantly, with the permission of the parents.
I would hope, that no poster would post a picture of their grandchild, without the parents' permission.

I can't believe how naive some posters are.
In saying that, it is a sad reflection of our time, when we cannot share the joy of having grandchildren. sad

Elizabeth27 Tue 03-May-22 20:27:17

I have seen a few posts where people state that they do not use social media, they seem to see this as some sort of cosy members-only chat room.

This is social media where you do not know who anyone really is.

Polly73 Tue 03-May-22 20:46:27

Those who think they are being patronised, get over it

Just downright rude

Callistemon21 Tue 03-May-22 21:01:16

Marydoll

Please forgive me if I have appeared to either lecture and pontificate, that was never my intention.
However, safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults, along with a role involving GDPR, which I am still very much involved with, is something I feel very strongly about. I make no apologies at all for that.

Safeguarding of children is of prime importance, Marydoll

If anyone feels patronised or miffed, I'm afraid that is something they'll have to deal with.

volver Tue 03-May-22 21:05:19

Elizabeth27

I have seen a few posts where people state that they do not use social media, they seem to see this as some sort of cosy members-only chat room.

This is social media where you do not know who anyone really is.

This ^^^^

Joseanne Tue 03-May-22 21:16:37

During lockdown and beyond there was a thread (1000 words) running where people posted photos, the total number not far off 2000 I believe. From what I remember, despite people being free to post anything, there were no pictures of a child, other than a couple of very distant views maybe (or the fashionable back of a head!). It was a thread with little chat, few words and little explanation. Maybe that's it. When a thread gets cosy and relaxed and people chat about their families, they somehow forget to be careful.

pinkprincess Tue 03-May-22 22:18:10

Thankyou Marydoll

I cannot remember posting photos of my DGC on here or MN but have being guilty of being a boasting grandma on FB. have not done that for over a year now, but I do have relatives and friends whose children or grandchildren's photos are all over FB, some almost daily. From newly born and upwards.
I was once ''outed ''on MN, which caused serious trouble between myself and a family member which is still ongoing.It was entirely my own fault, I was going through a very unhappy family incident and was so upset I gave away too much information.I never mentioned any names, but someone who was a stranger to me but knew the other family member recognised some of the details and could not keep her mouth shut.I stayed away from all social media for a long time and it certainly taught me a lesson.
I am aware that this story could potentially out me again, but it is all out in the open now.
It is well known that that the Daily Wail gets stories from MN

Callistemon21 Tue 03-May-22 23:05:27

It is well known that that the Daily Wail gets stories from MN

They were regularly published in The Guardian and many other publications worldwide too.

welbeck Wed 04-May-22 01:09:26

ari used to read a kind of dear marje site, which became general chit-chat between members. one revealed a lot not only about herself but her minor children, even things that would be forbidden from reporting in court. she gave identifying details about herself, so that would identify her children. i pointed this out and urged caution. the response, including from the agony aunt herself was that it was common, i was out of touch !

grannyactivist Wed 04-May-22 01:36:09

My daughter has a huge Instagram following and there are some photo’s of her children on the site, but she is always careful to ensure they’re taken obliquely or from behind so that their faces don’t show and they cannot be recognised. And definitely no school uniforms.

Marydoll Wed 04-May-22 07:38:43

grannyactivist, what a sensible mum! There is no reason why those who wish to post photos on GN, don't do that.
Its a matter of common sense and taking a minute to think before we post. Sometimes, we proud grans forget to be careful in our desire to share our joy with fellow posters..
Unfortunately, it is a sad reflection of our times,

Joseanne Wed 04-May-22 07:43:17

You know, if you send a private message to a GN friend, is it possible to send a photo? That way might help.

Marydoll Wed 04-May-22 07:49:24

Joseanne

You know, if you send a private message to a GN friend, is it possible to send a photo? That way might help.

Unfortunately, you cannot send any attachments with a PM.
It is such a basic site.

MerylStreep Wed 04-May-22 07:50:55

Joseanne
No you can’t. That 21st century technology is beyond them.

Riverwalk Wed 04-May-22 07:58:34

MerylStreep

Joseanne
No you can’t. That 21st century technology is beyond them.

Meryl maybe GNHQ think they have to save some grans from themselves!

Sending photos of grandchildren via PM to internet strangers wouldn't be a good idea, IMO. If you had developed a friendship as some do, you surely would have exchanged email addresses.

MerylStreep Wed 04-May-22 07:59:15

As an aside ( I’ve posted this before ) if you do have friends on GN exchange email addresses, you never know when they could be cancelled ?

Marydoll Wed 04-May-22 08:00:00

I agree Riverwalk. Some of us have done just that, once firm friendships have been established.

MerylStreep Wed 04-May-22 08:02:23

Riverwalk
As you can see I already have ?
Plus the fact that I’m not entirely certain that our PMs are entirely private. But that’s just me, always suspect.

Joseanne Wed 04-May-22 08:03:37

I have developed a friendship with 2 nice grans where we met up. I don't have the email address for one but use the pm thing and it works fine.

Joseanne Wed 04-May-22 08:07:44

MerylStreep

Riverwalk
As you can see I already have ?
Plus the fact that I’m not entirely certain that our PMs are entirely private. But that’s just me, always suspect.

Do you mean GN read them? shock

Marydoll Wed 04-May-22 08:09:44

Joseanne, it doesn't work if they are in the Doghouse, because they wouldn't be able to tell you why they have gone AWOL wink

Marydoll Wed 04-May-22 08:11:19

GNHQ own and control this site, if they wanted to read our PMs, they could. Surely that is obvious.

MerylStreep Wed 04-May-22 08:15:03

Joseanne
A friend of mine on this site was cancelled ? overnight out of the blue. If she hadn’t had my email I would never have known.

Joseanne Wed 04-May-22 08:15:43

I'm learning, and putting 2 and 2 together now Marydoll!!

Marydoll Wed 04-May-22 08:15:44

Well actually Mumsnet own it, I think.

If I had really wanted to and was dishonest enough, I could have gone into all the accounts of my teaching colleagues, as I controlled all the security permissions for the whole school staff and puipls.
However, I would never have considered doing so, because I was in a position of trust.

Joseanne Wed 04-May-22 08:17:14

Oooer MerylStreep.
Anyone want my email address? Don't all rush at once. grin