Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Very annoying pop up videos

(173 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

JenniferEccles Fri 27-Jan-23 09:43:23

Could anything be done to stop these pop up ads please?
As has been mentioned on another thread, a lot of them are totally irrelevant to our age group, with breast feeding tips amongst others!

They appeared on my phone a few months back, then disappeared, but are now back.

ixion Fri 27-Jan-23 15:58:47

Just a little message to your Content Team, Lily.

Breast feeding?
Really?

FannyCornforth Fri 27-Jan-23 16:01:24

See also ‘Birth Plans’

dotpocka Fri 27-Jan-23 16:06:16

if you use firefox
go to add ons and search ad blockers

Delila Fri 27-Jan-23 17:53:05

Pointless anyway, as there’s no sound.

Doodle Sat 28-Jan-23 00:03:47

Here’s one

FarNorth Sat 28-Jan-23 00:36:58

LilyGransnet

Hi all

I promise we do - it's just that sometimes we don't know if the ad is coming from our ad team or our content team. So we need to see it to know.

You can email screenshots over to [email protected]

Great.
That'll keep us all busy. 😐

Just try using GN for a few minutes and you'll see them. Like this one - a video without sound so achieving nothing.

Why not just tell all relevant departments that whatever ads they are putting on here are simply an annoyance?

The point really isn't the subject matter, it's the intrusiveness.

BlueBelle Sat 28-Jan-23 06:25:40

HQ lilygransnet we didn’t get them at all on iPad iPhones until a couple of days ago now they are majorly difficult
Because theymove and suddenly pop up in the middle of someone’s post
It’s not the content I don’t read them anyway it’s the huge intrusiveness

BlueBelle Sat 28-Jan-23 06:27:10

If someone from HQ just signed up temporarily as a poster they would see them without having to ask us anything

BlueBelle Sat 28-Jan-23 07:51:14

Here’s one for you * Lilygransnet*
Helping me with my morning sickness

Patsy70 Sat 28-Jan-23 07:55:19

I find them very annoying too. Hopefully, GNHQ will take our views into consideration? Although, of course, they’ll be making money from them!

FannyCornforth Sat 28-Jan-23 08:01:30

BlueBelle

HQ lilygransnet we didn’t get them at all on iPad iPhones until a couple of days ago now they are majorly difficult
Because theymove and suddenly pop up in the middle of someone’s post
It’s not the content I don’t read them anyway _it’s the huge intrusiveness_

BB I’ve had them in my iPhone for months.
So that’s a bit odd

FannyCornforth Sat 28-Jan-23 08:02:40

Patsy70

I find them very annoying too. Hopefully, GNHQ will take our views into consideration? Although, of course, they’ll be making money from them!

How can they create revenue? They aren’t advertising anything

NanaBabs1 Sat 28-Jan-23 08:11:20

I was obviously too smug, they’ve started appearing in my iPad this week accompanied by a mini duplicate in the bottom right corner! 😠

dragonfly46 Sat 28-Jan-23 08:12:14

Strangely I don’t get them on my iPad.

Oldbutstilluseful Sat 28-Jan-23 08:33:08

They started appearing on my iPad a few days ago. I’ve downloaded a free ad blocker from the Apple App Store, Ad Block One. It has solved the problem without any unwanted additions.

FarNorth Sat 28-Jan-23 09:11:16

I don't mind them appearing in the middle like that Blue Belle but it's dawned on me that if I move past one of those it then appears in a smaller version in front of the posts.

BlueBelle Sat 28-Jan-23 09:30:58

How strange Fanny they ve only started on my iPads etc a few days ago

Yes it does Farnorth but don’t you find it irritating when you’re reading someone’s post and up pops this huge advert taking up the whole area
Anyway I don’t want to know how to breastfeed ta

Missedout Sat 28-Jan-23 09:41:54

I've just realised that I don't have the problem of annoying pop-up ads when I use my android phone to read GN threads. I see blank sections with 'Advertisement' as a heading - easily ignored. It's my iPad that is showing the intrusive ads.

Scribbles Sat 28-Jan-23 09:46:03

mumski

Totally agree with the comments. I had managed on my old computer to block them. However, with my new computer I bought last week I've not been able to get rid of the irritating things. Has anyone managed to download an Ad blocker which works?

I have downloaded Brave.com and now use it as my default browser.
It works with Android, Windows and Apple operating systems and blocks all this pop-up rubbish. If I revert to using Chrome, the junk reappears.

Dibbydod Sat 28-Jan-23 09:52:05

Yes I’ve just noticed past couple days they popping up on GN on my iPad , very annoying, but these annoying advertisements also pop in everything you read online , I try my best to ignore them but it’s very frustrating.

Dibbydod Sat 28-Jan-23 10:32:49

I’ve just downloaded free AdGuard from iPad App Store , and so far seems to work as just logged back onto GN and the pop up adverts are no more . ( hopefully will stay that way ! ) .

Granmarderby10 Sat 28-Jan-23 10:41:23

If they are working as they are supposed to then how come I have never experienced them before on my iPad until now?
Plus the “mini” screen one appearing down the right hand margin.

Dibbydod Sat 28-Jan-23 10:47:59

Granmarderby10

If they are working as they are supposed to then how come I have never experienced them before on my iPad until now?
Plus the “mini” screen one appearing down the right hand margin.

Maybe automatic updates have altered the settings somehow ?
I’ve always experienced annoying pop ups on my iPad , but , as said , I’ve now looked into it and have downloaded free AdGuard from Apple play store . It’s easy to follow the instructions and since I’ve done it I’ve not had any pop ups .

annsixty Sat 28-Jan-23 11:20:44

I so dislike the smug Mumsy Midwife.
I just want to wipe the smug smile off of her face.
I’m getting really annoyed now.

eazybee Sat 28-Jan-23 12:43:26

I agree, annsixty.
I am getting extremely annoyed by these patronising adverts plus the fact that Gransnet absolutely refuse to remove them.
I don't wish to flounce off but they seriously interfere with reading and commenting on this site.
Perhaps if everyone stopped accessing this site for a few days it might have an impact.