Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Very annoying pop up videos

(172 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

JenniferEccles Fri 27-Jan-23 09:43:23

Could anything be done to stop these pop up ads please?
As has been mentioned on another thread, a lot of them are totally irrelevant to our age group, with breast feeding tips amongst others!

They appeared on my phone a few months back, then disappeared, but are now back.

JenniferEccles Fri 27-Jan-23 10:08:39

Could anything be done to stop these pop up ads please?
In any case, as has been mentioned on another thread, a lot of these advertisements are totally irrelevant to our age group, as some of them are tips on breastfeeding!
The ads appeared a few months ago, then thankfully disappeared, but have now returned.

Redhead56 Fri 27-Jan-23 10:12:46

This last few days its been happening I am fed up right in the middle of reading a post. A big video breast feeding microwave mug cakes anything any everything no matter what I press it does not stop.

toscalily Fri 27-Jan-23 10:36:39

There was a long thread about this the other day, think it was ignored by GNHQ. I'm thoroughly fed up with seeing breast feeding video's and mug cakes, no relevance what so ever to me. Perhaps if we create enough threads about how much we all dislike the video's they will take some notice, after all who wants to come to a website with lots of video's and lots of posts moaning about the video's. Rather defeats the point of the advertising.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-Jan-23 11:05:32

I am being bombarded with breastfeeding ads today, come on GNHQ have you no idea of the demographics of GN?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-Jan-23 11:07:22

I have reported my above post, I will report back if the reply is anything other than the usual generic answer

ixion Fri 27-Jan-23 11:14:18

These adverts are performing how they are supposed to.
We will pass your feedback over to our ads team.

This was the response I received.

ExDancer Fri 27-Jan-23 11:16:06

They obviously pay Gransnet to run these things, so we can use the site free of charge. All the same - breast feeding! - come on.

Shelflife Fri 27-Jan-23 11:21:02

I am a absolutely fed up with the pop up ads - driving me mad !!

henetha Fri 27-Jan-23 11:30:22

I suppose the idea is that we will simply get used to them . But I still find them intrusive. Especially when they cover the typing area.

Doodle Fri 27-Jan-23 11:34:41

I’ve written to GNHQ about this too. It’s so annoying.
That bl**dy microwave cup cake and the breast feeding.
What are they playing at.

Theexwife Fri 27-Jan-23 12:08:06

They are working as an ad, with the subject matter being noticed. Without ads this site would not be free.

FannyCornforth Fri 27-Jan-23 12:15:43

But many of them aren’t even adverts confused

FannyCornforth Fri 27-Jan-23 12:18:18

I’m getting ones for ‘birth plans’ now.
As a child free, post menopausal woman, I find the pregnancy and baby ones, a bit, well, not nice, really.

PinkCosmos Fri 27-Jan-23 12:20:35

I was on Mumsnet the other day and they seen to have the exact same ads. Both sites are connected, which is probably why.

I agree that breast feeding ads are hardly relevant to GN.

MrsKen33 Fri 27-Jan-23 12:40:39

Well said PinkCosmos. But what might be relevant for us? I dread to think.

mumski Fri 27-Jan-23 14:10:12

Totally agree with the comments. I had managed on my old computer to block them. However, with my new computer I bought last week I've not been able to get rid of the irritating things. Has anyone managed to download an Ad blocker which works?

eazybee Fri 27-Jan-23 14:32:56

I agree. I complained again recently; nothing.
I too am sick of the breastfeeding videos, on as I type; managed perfectly well 48 years ago, do not need constant reminders.

But we have asked repeatedly to have these videos removed and the response is always, we are discussing it. No they are NOT; some deal has been signed and they won't/can't admit it.
Poor.

LilyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 27-Jan-23 14:40:45

Hi all

Please can you provide a screenshot of the ads that are causing issues? flowers

Delila Fri 27-Jan-23 14:52:11

Several of us have provided screenshots and have received mixed-message replies, either it’s a trial or it’s working as intended.

I mentioned on the other thread, the videos (they don’t seem like ads, so where’s the revenue?) are endorsed by Mumsnet & Unilever.

FannyCornforth Fri 27-Jan-23 15:18:28

These is how they look on my iPhone.
(Cooking chick peas and an egg in the microwave)

Blinko Fri 27-Jan-23 15:22:13

LilyGransnet

Hi all

Please can you provide a screenshot of the ads that are causing issues? flowers

Do GNHQ never actually look at these sites?

toscalily Fri 27-Jan-23 15:24:10

I have tried to take a screenshot but unfortunately it comes with my real name attached and I am not prepared to do that on an open forum. Perhaps someone else will be able to do it. Bearing in mind one screenshot is not enough really as I think most of us are fed up with the pop ups generally, not just one specific video as they are mostly irrelevant to us as a demographic group.

toscalily Fri 27-Jan-23 15:26:15

Blinko Do GNHQ never actually look at these sites? grin

LilyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 27-Jan-23 15:36:19

Hi all

I promise we do - it's just that sometimes we don't know if the ad is coming from our ad team or our content team. So we need to see it to know.

You can email screenshots over to [email protected]