Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Very annoying pop up videos

(173 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

JenniferEccles Fri 27-Jan-23 09:43:23

Could anything be done to stop these pop up ads please?
As has been mentioned on another thread, a lot of them are totally irrelevant to our age group, with breast feeding tips amongst others!

They appeared on my phone a few months back, then disappeared, but are now back.

FannyCornforth Thu 09-Feb-23 10:16:53

Blinko , thanks. Yes, it’s a bit off not giving a proper response.
It would have nipped all of this in the bud.
Anyway - here you go: 🙄

Farzanah Thu 09-Feb-23 09:58:28

I’m not against the advertising which pops up around the posts and I of course understand GN is not a charity. What I do object to are these large mindless videos right in the middle of the posts when you are reading.

I’m glad I don’t suffer from epilepsy or I couldn’t use the forums at all. The videos are soundless and don’t convey much apart from mindless repetitive info, as far as I can see. What is their purpose? It’s not really advertising.

Blinko Thu 09-Feb-23 09:58:14

I agree with FC above. I think we're stuck with them. The ads are annoying but I just skip past them. If it helps keep GN running then so be it.

I do think GN could have treated us as adults though and given a proper explanation. (Imagine an eye roll emoji)

toscalily Thu 09-Feb-23 09:51:29

How can they justify this as advertising, it is intrusive, inconvenient, very, very repetitive and is annoying the hell out of the targeted group. Do GNHQ really care about the image they are creating as a "mature user website" who are being ignored and fobbed off with excuses. The lack of any coherent response after such a long time is really not acceptable.

FannyCornforth Thu 09-Feb-23 09:42:39

eazybee

1) They’ve flogged them advertising space already, so they need to abide by those terms (What terms?)

I presume you refer to Gransnet HQ so why will they not admit it and give a straight answer instead of saying it is 'being discussed, referred,looked at'?

2) All advertising is intrusive....I’m afraid that we’ve just got to suck it up. (revolting expression).

No. We should not be expected to put up with these intrusive, distracting and repetitive videos and I think that has been made clear by most people who read Gransnet.

Eazybee I’m sorry, I’ve only just seen this.
I’m sure that you relished responding to me! smile

Point 1 : ‘what terms?’ you ask.
The terms of selling advertising space obviously.

Why haven’t GNHQ replied, you ask.
I don’t know of course.
I find it mildly annoying too.
Perhaps they just expect us to get the message

Point 2 : I apologise that my choice of words has offended your sensibilities.
How do you suggest that MN and GN keep their business financially viable?
The very business model is advertising with a chat forum attached.

FannyCornforth Thu 09-Feb-23 09:29:15

Mumsnet started a subscription service about 4 years ago (Mumsnet Premium).
It was extremely controversial, dare I say unpopular; didn’t seem to pull in many subscriptions; and was pulled after a very short time.
I subscribed for a month and then decided against it.
So I doubt if they will try that, especially as one of the first things that folk are doing due to the COLC is cancelling subscriptions

NanKate Thu 09-Feb-23 09:28:42

IMO we are being treated very shabbily by HQ. They say they read our posts but obviously ignore them.

Scribbles Thu 09-Feb-23 09:23:25

Somewhere up-thread, I said I was using the Brave browser which blocked these videos and all kinds of other junk.

The clever techies at GNHQ have now found a way to prevent GN from loading on Brave so, if I want to read or contribute to GN, I am forced to use Chrome or some other browser which allows these tedious and intrusive videos through.

Like Farzanah, I'd rather pay a modest subscription to be ad-free the same way as I do with Spotify etc. so maybe the powers-that-be could look at offering that as an option?

I really don't want to flounce out of GN in a hissy fit but these wretched videos may exasperate me enough for that to happen.
Are you listening, HQ?

Callistemon21 Wed 08-Feb-23 22:38:13

BlueBelle

Ipad user and they re still there as annoying as ever
I m on the cake now and Trisha of some bloody make up thingy she can go for a wander with her smoky eyed look

She might still be on GN .......

BlueBelle Wed 08-Feb-23 22:06:45

Ipad user and they re still there as annoying as ever
I m on the cake now and Trisha of some bloody make up thingy she can go for a wander with her smoky eyed look

Granny23 Wed 08-Feb-23 22:05:51

This is the screen I get when I check the adblocker.

AdBlock logo
settings
Blocked ads:
8 on this page882,842 in total

Granny23 Wed 08-Feb-23 21:55:34

There must be some way to avoid them. I have not had any adverts or videos whatsoever on my Gransnet. I do have an Ad blocker on my computer but nothing specific to Gransnet. I am not very techy so unable to pass on how or why this works.

NanKate Wed 08-Feb-23 21:51:37

I expect HQ are just hoping we will just accept these bl**dy annoying ads by just wearing us down till we give in.

Thanks to those who have given an explanation or quoted what HQ said.

Callistemon21 Wed 08-Feb-23 20:39:50

MrsKen33

I’m going to make those scones at the weekend. I shan’t need to watch the video. It has intruded so often when I have been reading posts I know it by heart.

😁
I'll bring the jam and clotted cream!

MrsKen33 Wed 08-Feb-23 17:55:34

I’m going to make those scones at the weekend. I shan’t need to watch the video. It has intruded so often when I have been reading posts I know it by heart.

eazybee Wed 08-Feb-23 17:00:54

1) They’ve flogged them advertising space already, so they need to abide by those terms (What terms?)

I presume you refer to Gransnet HQ so why will they not admit it and give a straight answer instead of saying it is 'being discussed, referred,looked at'?

2) All advertising is intrusive....I’m afraid that we’ve just got to suck it up. (revolting expression).

No. We should not be expected to put up with these intrusive, distracting and repetitive videos and I think that has been made clear by most people who read Gransnet.

Farzanah Wed 08-Feb-23 16:47:06

I don’t agree on this Fanny. If ads become so intrusive, ie large videos between posts, GNs will vote with their feet as it were. I think most of us can accept smaller ads, but we should have a choice and op out if ads disrupt. Personally I’d rather pay a fee than be bombarded like this.

Ads are supposed to promote products, not put people off. I don’t see the point of these.

FannyCornforth Wed 08-Feb-23 15:38:47

They’ve flogged them advertising space already, so they need to abide by those terms.
All advertising is intrusive.
It’s the nature of the beast.
It’s just that’s it’s new on here.
I’m afraid that we’ve just got to suck it up.
I know it’s annoying, but it’s a ‘price’ that I’m willing to pay.
Just be thankful that companies are willing to pay for ads on here

ixion Wed 08-Feb-23 15:28:50

Mine appear in between posts, not in the middle of. (Ipad).
Still irritating but not disrupting the written word at all.

BlueBelle Wed 08-Feb-23 15:24:26

If they want them at the top, the sides or the bottom that’s fine but so large and so intrusive in the middle of a darned post is just not acceptable and HQ have not come back to explain, apologise or give us any acceptable explanation or any idea of what the future on here will be like, and that’s not very fair of them not to warn or explain

ixion Wed 08-Feb-23 15:14:00

NanKate

PLEASE HQ TELL US WHAT YOUR COMMENT
‘WORKING ON IT’ MEANS. 👋👋👋👋👋👋

BUT -
" These adverts are performing how they are supposed to.
We will pass your feedback over to our ads team. "

This is the reply I received on January 23rd ...
🤷‍♀️

Doodle Wed 08-Feb-23 14:39:32

I keep getting those awful make up videos. I seem to have moved on from the microwave cake. Perhaps they think after the hundredth time I might know how to make one now.
No longer got the breastfeeding thank goodness.
GNHQ I know how to do my makeup too. Please give it a rest.

Callistemon21 Wed 08-Feb-23 14:05:13

NanKate

PLEASE HQ TELL US WHAT YOUR COMMENT
‘WORKING ON IT’ MEANS. 👋👋👋👋👋👋

It's a bit like my house clearing NanKate - working on it means gone on for years but the results so far are not evident.

Farzanah Wed 08-Feb-23 13:28:45

Can someone report my post please so that they will read it.

Farzanah Wed 08-Feb-23 13:27:51

It’s not the advertising videos which keep GN viable, it us! I wish they’d understand that, if they have no users the site will be redundant.
I think we should all leave until they agree to change these dreadful videos. Most can put up with some advertising but not these which are intrusive and ruin the threads.