Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Get rid of the games!!

(68 Posts)
Chestnut Tue 21-Mar-23 16:41:36

Scrolling down the threads for discussions is now driving me nuts. It's nothing but Games, just spotted 8 discussion threads and 13 Games threads.

Please Gransnet, give the Games their own tab at the top. Surely Coronavirus is getting out of date. You could slot Games between Forums and Grandparenting.

Please get them off, there are so many they really are getting very annoying on a discussion forum and don't belong there.

Chestnut Wed 22-Mar-23 10:31:03

What I'm proposing is for the Games to be removed from the discussion boards and have their own tab at the top, as shown here. People can still play games to their heart's content.

Chestnut Wed 22-Mar-23 10:36:07

FannyCornforth

Chestnut

The Games threads cannot be hidden on a computer and presumably not on a laptop either.

Perhaps this might work.

Go from ‘desktop site’ and into ‘mobile site’ (do this at the very bottom of the page); hide all the threads that you want hidden;
and then revert back to ‘desk top site’.

I’m not sure if it would work, but you never know

Thanks for that. I never knew there was such a thing at the bottom. It does seem to work but I can't go through 37 or more games threads to hide them all. And there will always be more games coming up. So it's useful to know but a very clunky way of hiding them.

Blossoming Wed 22-Mar-23 10:39:00

This complaint seems to crop up every few months, as does the complaint about the ‘active’ list. I’m using an iPad and I can’t say either of these things bothers me. I don’t play any games except Wordle (when I remember) and the stuff on the active list seldom interests me. I usually use the ‘Last Hour’ list or the ‘I’m On’ list.

Riverwalk Wed 22-Mar-23 10:39:02

Games are a source of 'clicks' for Gransnet which is after all a commercial site, so they'll put them in the most prominent place, whether we like it or not!

crazyH Wed 22-Mar-23 10:40:23

I like the ‘games’ thread…

Hetty58 Wed 22-Mar-23 10:42:03

Chestnut, yes - separate the games - please!

I don't agree with 'Coronavirus is getting out of date' though. Leave it be. The virus is still here, immunisations have lapsed - (for most of us) and a new variant could cause real problems.

Farzanah Wed 22-Mar-23 10:55:03

I don’t really think it’s feasible to separate the games because this is a commercial site and games are popular, but I think GN is a big enough time waster (for me 😱) without getting embroiled in the games.
As to Coronavirus, it sure hasn’t gone away. Immunisation has waned and I know at least 8 people who have covid just now. Two are quite ill.

FannyCornforth Wed 22-Mar-23 11:32:46

Chestnut, I know what you’re saying, but I think what you are proposing is a bit more complicated that inserting an extra heading.
It’s not just a heading that’s needed for it to work - it’s the equivalent of another forum.
At the moment all posts go into one ‘bag’, you are proposing another separate ‘bag’.

That’s how I imagine it works, I could be totally wrong of course confused

Chestnut Wed 22-Mar-23 17:06:20

Chestnut

FannyCornforth

Chestnut

The Games threads cannot be hidden on a computer and presumably not on a laptop either.

Perhaps this might work.

Go from ‘desktop site’ and into ‘mobile site’ (do this at the very bottom of the page); hide all the threads that you want hidden;
and then revert back to ‘desk top site’.

I’m not sure if it would work, but you never know

Thanks for that. I never knew there was such a thing at the bottom. It does seem to work but I can't go through 37 or more games threads to hide them all. And there will always be more games coming up. So it's useful to know but a very clunky way of hiding them.

Well actually, with patience and a few at a time, I have managed to hide all the Games threads! Thank you for that, it just requires a methodical approach, every time I go into 'Last Day' threads I see a few games and zap them immediately by switching to Mobile at the bottom, and then back to Desktop. Now I am seeing discussions only and it is bliss!

Floradora9 Wed 22-Mar-23 21:26:20

I tried to put on a similar thread and it was deleted I hate the games .

BlueBelle Wed 22-Mar-23 22:08:18

But they re never ending Chestnut if you get rid of 20 one day you ll have just as many the next and it’s very time consuming to go though that each day

Chestnut Wed 22-Mar-23 23:43:22

BlueBelle

But they re never ending Chestnut if you get rid of 20 one day you ll have just as many the next and it’s very time consuming to go though that each day

I realise they are never ending but for the moment it does seem to have removed a great number and I will keep zapping them and see how it goes.

Farzanah Thu 23-Mar-23 11:14:32

It’s like a hydra. The more you zap the more appear!

Chestnut Thu 23-Mar-23 14:04:21

It has worked very well for me. I've put up the posts in the last 24 hours, gone to the Games thread and zapped about 10 or more. Then next time do the same. Before long you have removed all the games played in the last 24 hours. All I see now are discussions! It's brilliant. I never knew this was possible.

toscalily Thu 23-Mar-23 14:15:01

The deletion will work, but only until you clear your history (which I am assuming you do on a regular basis) so it is only temporary. It is time consuming and irritating to have to do on a regular basis.

FannyCornforth Thu 23-Mar-23 14:19:27

toscalily I never clear my history shock
Is it important?
Thank you - I’m terrible with technology

Chestnut Thu 23-Mar-23 16:18:55

I have never cleared my history. Are you talking about Gransnet or your complete browsing history? I would only do that if I were getting a new computer. Having said that, McAfee seems to be clearing stuff all the time whether I want it to or not, although it doesn't clear my Gransnet threads.