Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected] If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

NOW CLOSED Take a look at the E.ON Rewards loyalty scheme and share your thoughts to be in with a chance of winning a £250 JL voucher

(90 Posts)
KatieBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 22-Apr-13 14:28:04

E.ON has a loyalty reward scheme which rewards customers for staying with them.

Here's what E.ON says about the scheme: "If you're an E.ON customer and you've been with E.ON for a year or more you could be rewarded for staying with us. You have a choice of taking rewards as Tesco Clubcard points or money off your bill. Further rewards are on offer for managing your account online or taking both fuels from E.ON. All you need to do is change to one of E.ON's tariffs with rewards."

E.ON would like you to visit their website and read the information on their rewards.

Here's the link: https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-home/products-and-services/EON-rewards

Please then return to this thread and tell us what you think, in particular:

- What do you think about loyalty reward schemes generally?

- What do you think about E.ON rewards? Would you prefer money off your bill or Tesco points?

Everyone who adds a comment to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £250 John Lewis voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

GNHQ

janerowena Tue 23-Apr-13 10:08:28

After a brief foray, I would say that it is not worth swapping over for me, as we have no gas so would only receive about £10 in rewards or Tesco vouchers, and our current supplier is cheaper anyway.
They seem to be trying to tempt people away from Economy7, which many older people rely on.
If you take their AgeUK plan for over 60s, you can only have the rewards, not the Tesco vouchers.
The site is not all that easy to plough your way through.

I like rewards schemes, but prefer to take Tesco vouchers currently. However, if I were really broke I would probably rather have the money off. If I were that broke, would I have a computer to be able to find out about it and research it thoroughly?

I shop around, and use vouchers in the way that I will get maximum value, so we eat out for family meals regularly, as restaurant vouchers with Tesco give you four times the value of a voucher. We shall also use some this year to pay towards a ferry crossing. I sometimes give my daughter some towards trips to Legoland for my grandchildren.

With Sainsbury's vouchers, I kit out my husband and son with t-shirts and underwear.

The Boots scheme means being able to buy three gifts at Christmas for the price of two.

Garden centre voucher schemes bring the odd free cup of coffee or even lunch, with reduced prices on plants. Cafe Nero regulars also get the odd cup of coffee free.

Yes, of course it would be nice if all the prices were generally lower instead of the rewards schemes, but life wouldn't be such fun. I like to think of it as a way of ensuring that we get a few extra luxuries that otherwise we might deny ourselves.

Galen Tue 23-Apr-13 20:00:46

I found it far too difficult to understand. And as I am happy with my current supplier, I see no good reason to change .

MOOON5 Tue 23-Apr-13 20:18:57

On having looked through the information, I would not find it worth my while to switch, and would save much more through my current supplier of dual fuel so not really that appealing to me!

I generally like loyalty schemes, I have Tesco clubcard as save points throughout the year and generally double them up near Christmas to help out with a few more bits and pieces.

I also have a Boots advantage card, and again collect points throughout the year, especially when having mega points events to either buy some more presents at Christmas or use in the Boots post Christmas sale for presents for following year or some goodies for the family.

I have nectar card, but feel is poor value, so rarely use.

I also have a Costa coffee card and Subway card, and use the accumulated points for when we are on holiday to save some money for other holiday spending.

Elsie10 Tue 23-Apr-13 20:58:37

Quite a lot of reading to take in - yes it does cover Economy 7 - which is our tariff and we do not have gas.

There is a lot of talk about £10 for this, and that - not a very big incentive to moving supplier if one is able to understand all the boxes, bearing in mind that the deal is aimed at the over 60's - I know we are supposed to be the age of the 'grey surfer' but many folk of that age will not be internet savvy so cannot benefit from on-line billing anyway.

Yes I do use Rewards - Tesco mainly for petrol, and Boots, plus a local garden centre - but would much prefer to have my fuel bill reduced than receive Tesco rewards (bearing in mind that I have now almost totally forsaken Tesco for Aldi for grocery shopping)

PatriciaPT Tue 23-Apr-13 21:37:03

Hmm, well something most energy companies do is charge more to people who use slot meters for their energy supplies. These people are nearly all poorer than most of us. Is this justice?
So when I discovered Ebico, who have deliberately set out to act with justice towards the poor by having a single tariff for everyone, I switched to them. Unless Eon also act justly towards poorer people, I'm not interested in their offers.
I do have interesting conversations with the salespeople from my previous provider who ring up periodically to try to woo me back. I don't think they 'get it', but I do take the time to explain why they don't stand a chance with me and eventually they give up on the conversation. But they still keep calling! Ah well.

helmacd Tue 23-Apr-13 22:39:47

Loyalty schemes are there to suck you in and make you stay with a supplier, thus blinding you to potential better deals elsewhere. The fact is that one needs to stay alert to what one is paying for energy and be ready to shop around regularly to see if one can get a better deal. It infuriates me that there are so many schemes making it difficult to compare, incidentally. And actually, the so called rewards offered by Eon aren't that great. It's quite possible that there might be a supplier out there who could give you greater savings.
And usually with loyalty schemes the greatest benefits go to the greatest spenders. I would imagine that as far as energy is concerned, the people who have the most difficulty in affording their bills are the elderly,on limited incomes and with a significant percentage living on their own. Hence they will spend less, and get rewarded less.

grannyactivist Tue 23-Apr-13 23:20:37

My husband deals with our utility suppliers and when he's considering a change he always discusses it with me before going a head. He is very thorough in his research and we have just changed supplier - to Ecotricity. We prefer to pay a little extra for a company that is ethical.

chumbelina Tue 23-Apr-13 23:21:33

I am tied into my gas and electric supplier for a while, so cannot enter in another duel fuel agreement yet, but even if I joined then, I would still have to wait a year, to get anything back from E.ON and in that time they might change their minds and cancel it all. No doubt all fuel suppliers will be jumping on the same idea, and it will spread from one to another in the meantime. I await to see what happens in the near future as most of them are so similar anyway!

vohn Tue 23-Apr-13 23:40:21

I love rewards schemes. All too often in today's quick-moving, throwaway society, consumers are quick to jump to wherever has the best deal this minute and then moan when a favoured company goes out of business, even if they haven't bought from them for ages. Reward schemes are a great way of giving back to those loyal customers who stick with a company and support it long-term because they believe in its product/ethos/whatever.

The E.ON rewards scheme looks good. I especially like that it is a fixed reward based on the length of time a consumer has been loyal to the company, and not based on how much is spent - this makes it truly about consumer loyalty and not about rewarding those who can afford the biggest spend. It is a great idea to offer consumers the choice of a cash discount or Tesco Clubcard points. This means those who struggle and need an immediate discount can opt for that. Those who choose Tesco points will be able to use them for special deals, like the 4 times amount for restaurants/days out etc, or the double points option at certain times of year.

Too many companies offer better deals only to new customers - it is nice to hear of a large company rewarding loyal customers for a change.

Tegan Wed 24-Apr-13 00:41:15

I'm not sure that it's a good idea to be on Economy 7 unless you do lots of washing and tunble drying in the night, as the daytime rate is higher. Several people I know have found themselves much better off by moving away from Economy 7 [you don't have to change your meter to do so]. N Power give me £100 back each year so I'd stay with them [even if they don't pay their taxes]. I'm interested in what the new Co op Energy scheme offers though.

eGJ Wed 24-Apr-13 07:46:59

I would be wary of this one. The wait for "rewards" is long and much more research on ALL the other providers would be needed before switching. One needs to be aware that this one is excluding the VAT; some providers produce rates with that included. I would not readily change to this one in the hope that they would always undercut my present provider, but they don't promise that! And often your "rewards" - Clubcards or Loyalty cards are the company finding out exactly what you purchase! I checked their "deal" and it isn't "better for me."

janthea Wed 24-Apr-13 09:10:13

To be honest, I don't really think that reward schemes are that good. I have a Boots Advantage card which is useful. I also have a Nectar card. I don't get a lot of points on that, BUT as I'm with British Gas and have dual fuel I do get Nectar points. After a long time, I had enough for a couple of cheap Eurostar tickets.

I wouldn't be interested in changing to EON as I'm happy with British Gas for the time being.

Pamaga Wed 24-Apr-13 09:17:23

- What do you think about loyalty reward schemes generally?
I love them. I am a real sucker for them. I save my Boots Advantage points all year and then use them to buy Christmas presents.

- What do you think about E.ON rewards? Would you prefer money off your bill or Tesco points?
I used to be with E.ON until, using Uswitch, I found what I considered a better deal. I used to get Tesco points and found them really useful. However, Tesco used to allow their points to accrue to general money off coupons (e.g. £5 off irrespective of what you purchase). Now they seem to produce more coupons targeted at products I have purchased in the past and I don't find these so useful. I'd prefer a loyalty scheme that gave me the freedom to purchase whatever took my fancy and to accrue larger amounts to take advantage of offers such as the one cited by janthea above, i.e. Eurostar tickets.

suzeeq Wed 24-Apr-13 10:38:28

I think it would be better if Energy Companies reduced the number of payment packages they have, surely everyone wants to be on the lowest so why have the dearer ones? The schemes are often complicated to understand and penalise people without computers, often the poorer people and elderly people who need all the help they can get.
By the time you get the £10 off from Eon, prices will have gone up so you wont even notice!

GadaboutGran Wed 24-Apr-13 10:40:31

I see this as one of many PR exercises in business & government with a lot of puff & little gain for the customer. When reading the website I switched off as soon as I saw the small amounts of reward involved. You can save much more by using comparison websites & not being loyal. I used to think loyalty was really valued but now, as I get more cynical, I realise it's a title to make the 'gullible' or 'confused & unaware' or 'can't be bothered' feel good if they stick with a company whose only aim of course is to increase sales & make profits.

The reward system really would benefit people like my mother who find it too stressful to change provider & could do with some recognition of loyalty but then people like her wouldn't benefit because she doesn't have a computer, can't pay on-line (& would never pay anything on line anyway) & found the library computers too inconvenient & difficult to use.

I only use loyalty cards as an adjunct after I've made a decision to buy something & only if they are convenient & easy to use. Getting the most out of Tesco loyalty cards needs time, effort & often forward planning.

gillybob Wed 24-Apr-13 15:50:51

To be honest I am always a bit sceptical about "loyalty" schemes and I wonder if it is too easy to get sucked into the idea that you will be rewarded (however small) for being loyal when in fact you are actually paying for the reward via inflated pricing. Having said that I do have a Boots Advantage card and tend to save the point up until I have enough to get something worthwhile.

GeminiJen Thu 25-Apr-13 19:29:45

I've switched energy suppliers twice over the past 3 years and am currently happy with the one I'm with.
I do keep an eye on rates etc. and will readily switch again if my current supplier ceases to be my 'best buy'.
I don't care for so called loyalty/reward schemes...Life's too short to faff around with a wallet full of vouchers needing to be cashed in before imminent expiry dates!

graninfrance Thu 25-Apr-13 21:52:46

I live abroad now so UK energy suppliers are not relevant to me.

I like rewards schemes, though, and had a number of loyalty cards when I was in the UK. Generally, I preferred money off schemes. I have a loyalty card now for my local supermarket in France, but the rewards are minimal compared with what is offered in the UK. It used to be 10 centimes per euro spent, but now it is only a few centimes off certain specified items, most of which I don't buy anyway!

As I still have a Tesco credit card, which I use when I am buying online from UK sites, I receive a few loyalty points from them occasionally - I give the vouchers to my daughter and she seems to gain maximum benefit from them with discounts at restaurants or on non-food items at her local store.

betejaid Fri 26-Apr-13 05:09:23

I use loyalty cards but find them a nuisance - I don't shop much in Tesco so club card points aren't much use to me - am I the only one?

nonnanna Fri 26-Apr-13 07:04:32

I'm with vohn on this one. We are e-on customers and have been rewarded with Tesco points. It did make us feel valued when they rewarded our loyalty. We are happy with the points because we are in a position to be able to use them but some people may prefer cash rewards so it's good to have an option.

henbane Sat 27-Apr-13 23:03:43

I used to use Tesco rewards to get airmiles and have had a couple of good city breaks using these, but the scheme has changed now and is much less appealing so I have switched to another supermarket as Tesco was not ideal for me anyway. I collect loyalty points from various places but none are good enough now to influence where I shop - I go for the best value and the same applies to fuel providers.

dragonflysteve Tue 30-Apr-13 20:46:03

I always use a TESCO FINANCE card and make all purchases elsewhere over £10 with this card the accumulative value of vouchers have enabled me to make purchases of, Mobile, RAC, (no longer viable) Nat/ Geographic mags, all my garden plants @ 3 for 1 and when converting vouchers I always wait for the multiple conversion time before making any decisions. Being 77yrs old many of Tesco deals are outside my usage but I have always benefited considerably and my E-on points boost the benefits considerably.

dragonflysteve Tue 30-Apr-13 20:54:40

I am very fortunate in having a deal with E-on called WARM ASSIST (no longer available to new clients) I have made many attempts to improve on this Tariff and have always been told it cannot be beaten, I checked again today and in spite of a Tariff increase it still stands alone by as much as 30%

GrannyCaz1 Wed 01-May-13 14:44:14

I am with Eon for Dual Fuel, and have always collected Tesco Clubcard Points, would be loathe to change as the extra always comes in handy