Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

NOW CLOSED Take a look at the E.ON Rewards loyalty scheme and share your thoughts to be in with a chance of winning a £250 JL voucher

(91 Posts)
KatieBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 22-Apr-13 14:28:04

E.ON has a loyalty reward scheme which rewards customers for staying with them.

Here's what E.ON says about the scheme: "If you're an E.ON customer and you've been with E.ON for a year or more you could be rewarded for staying with us. You have a choice of taking rewards as Tesco Clubcard points or money off your bill. Further rewards are on offer for managing your account online or taking both fuels from E.ON. All you need to do is change to one of E.ON's tariffs with rewards."

E.ON would like you to visit their website and read the information on their rewards.

Here's the link: https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-home/products-and-services/EON-rewards

Please then return to this thread and tell us what you think, in particular:

- What do you think about loyalty reward schemes generally?

- What do you think about E.ON rewards? Would you prefer money off your bill or Tesco points?

Everyone who adds a comment to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £250 John Lewis voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

GNHQ

jcyclops Thu 02-May-13 23:27:38

Loyalty/reward schemes are OK and I use several where they coincide with my normal shopping, but I would never bypass shop A to go to shop B just because I had a loyalty card for shop B. I really dislike those schemes where you lose your accrued rewards because you haven't done X or Y.

The E.ON rewards scheme looks OK but I wouldn't switch supplier just to get it. It also looks as if it is only on certain tariffs which leaves me suspicious that these tariffs are more expensive to cover the cost of the reward scheme. I would prefer money of my bill automatically for all tariffs.

Daphne01 Fri 03-May-13 15:07:53

I'd prefer simple English so it's easy to understand and cash off my bill would be much better than supermarket vouchers

stephgr Fri 03-May-13 22:28:37

I like getting rewards although I'd rather have lower prices instead of points or a voucher. If I was with eon I'd definitely choose money off rather than Tesco points although every little helps!

salsquiggle Sat 04-May-13 12:15:40

I have been with Eon for 45 years, and have no particular wish to change, I would really like an economy seven tariff, which they don't do any more. That would be the thing that would make me look elsewhere. I like the loyalty scheme idea, but think they should be more generous for the really long-standing users. I really like the thought of getting rewards in Tesco clubcard points, at that rate - but no lower.

sthgil Sat 04-May-13 13:51:06

I am currently thinking of changing supplier - but I am quite cynical of the reward programs nowadays and would prefer lower prices across the board. I liked the Tescos reward program at first but have just lost some vouchers that expired at the end of April and also feel now that I choose to use my reward points by eating out at restaurants and spending extra money and I also feel embarrassed when I use the voucher. So overall I would just prefer lower prices and less hassle.

easylife73 Sat 04-May-13 19:17:56

I think loyalty reward are generally a good idea, there's very little wrong with rewarding customers for shopping with you regularly, and even if reward levels are fairly low it is nice to accumulate points for something you would be spending on anyway.

With regard to the E.ON reward scheme, I'm not sure. The reward value seems very low for the amount of money an average household would be spending on gas & electricity, and doesn't even begin until you've been with them for a year. The incentive of a £10 reward to stay with E.ON when changing supplier might save more than that a month seems pointless.

If I were with E.ON anyway, and they were consistently the cheapest supplier for me, then I would prefer to receive the reward as Tesco vouchers as they could be worth up to 4 times as much, however if you don't use Tescos you might feel a bit cheated.

matphil Sat 04-May-13 19:18:18

I use most reward schemes such as Boots, Superdrug and Nectar cards.
It seems a good idea, I am already with Eon and will be looking into this in more detail. I would prefer money off my bill.

glmcall123 Sun 05-May-13 12:50:27

I don't think the incentive is enough. Nowadays companies have to come top on a price comparison site to get people to move supplier - I'd be surprised if E.on ever does. Don't give useless incentives - cut the prices!!

buckleycat Sun 05-May-13 17:41:31

I am a big fan of loyalty schemes in general - if you have to spend money on services/goods - it's always a big plus to have the option of a reward scheme to get money off in future, or to save up & spend on something else. I currently am a member of most loyalty schemes & am always open to joining new loyalty schemes with different companies.
British Gas currently supply our home with both gas & electric, but the tariff we are on isn't great & although the Nectar points we accrue through their loyalty scheme are useful, it doesn't compare with the savings offered by Eon so we will definitely be looking into this in more detail. The reward scheme offered by Eon looks very appealing & I like that the longer a customer stays with them, the greater the discount in future. Also, it's refreshing to see the customer given the choice of rewards presented as either Clubcard points or Eon discounts.

feefeegabor Sun 05-May-13 21:22:56

I am a fan of loyalty schemes on the whole. It encourages me to shop in certain shops - i.e. Boots, Tesco and Sainsburys.

The scheme sounds like a good idea although personally I would prefer Tesco Clubcard points - they seem to add up really quickly.

chezvic Sun 05-May-13 22:52:01

I like loyalty schemes in regards to high street stores etc but not that bothered about them with regards to electricity companies. I would just rather have cheaper bills monthly. So if I did have to have rewards I would choose money off my bill.

robyn297 Mon 06-May-13 00:56:43

I love loyalty reward schemes, I usually save my rewards until Christmas, then I splurge them on foods/gifts we normally wouldn't have been able to afford, they are a real blessing in these hard times.

I really like the sound of EON rewards. I think I would opt for Tesco points.

Funkyferret Mon 06-May-13 01:40:19

Having had a read through, the scheme would benefit us but only by quite small amounts. The scheme must also cost quite a lot to run in administration, advertising etc and I'd rather that money was used to make bills easier to understand and offer lower tariffs for everyone.

I have several loyalty cards but my supermarket ones I don't use very often as my local supermarket doesn't run a loyalty scheme. I use my Boots Advantage card quite often and find that points accumulate quite quickly on it if I'm clever and I can amass enough to get all my Christmas stocking fillers for free.

sloan Mon 06-May-13 02:47:39

I am with e-on already and have just switched tariff and am still waiting to see the rewards. I would prefer to have money off than vouchers as it requires less effort to get the reward.

Grandma2JaretandKris Mon 06-May-13 10:06:21

Still complicated...do this and you'll get a few quid off...do that and you'll get a few quid off.

I just want the cheapest fuel for my home. Rewards are gimmicks. If they were that good, they wouldn't need rewards to keep customers.

Jezzamk Mon 06-May-13 13:51:40

The rewards are not that good when you look at the price diferences between the suppliers.

I will accept their rewards but am not likely to collect any as it pays to review your energy suppliers on a regular basis. The savings made by changing are usually more than the £10 on offer.

Generally I am in favour of loayalty cards and points as they do add up over time and allow you to get something you may not have normally bought. I collect Tesco Points and Nectar Points. When I get enough I treat myself to a DVD or a Tesco Clubcard offer at 3 to 1. However, they don't influence where I shop.

soozybee Mon 06-May-13 14:09:38

Unfortunately due to my landlord I am unable to change suppliers, if I was however i would prefer to have a loyalty scheme than pay less.

Pumpkin2 Mon 06-May-13 14:32:58

We used to be with Eon, but switched when we found a better deal. I think loyalty schemes in general are a good idea, but don't make the mistake of forgetting to shop around.

libra10 Mon 06-May-13 15:56:37

Having read through Eon's loyalty scheme, my first thoughts are that if their prices are competitive there is no need to offer rewards. Customers would be glad to stay with them.

Depending on the length of time you've been a customer of Eon, rewards increase from between £10 to £20 for being a customer for up to 3 years. Rewards are not applicable for customers buying only one form of energy, however extra rewards are offered for managing your account online.

When you consider the cost of a year's annual energy consumption, at approximately £1200, the rewards are much less than 1% of the total bill.
Very derisory considering that customers can save between £100 - £200 by visiting a comparison website, and changing to the lowest tariff.

Regarding loyalty schemes generally, I have Boots Advantage card and a Tesco clubcard. As I use Tesco weekly, the value of points soon mounts up, and it's economical to save money on shopping when the vouchers come through. Also, with Tesco, greater value can be obtained with their vouchers if you purchase one of their offers.

Eon's rewards are definitely on the mean side, and the reward incentive would not be enough to earn my loyalty. I want to pay the cheapest price, not be offered a derisory reward.

cheryl100 Mon 06-May-13 16:12:34

I think the rewards are pretty poor considering the amount of money people spend on gas and electricity these days. I always collect loyalty points with Tesco and Sainsburys etc and these seem a much better deal then what EON is offering. Stop being so tight EON and offer more to customers both new and existing!

becky004 Mon 06-May-13 17:23:29

I am with Eon for both gas and electric, I like the fact that I get clubcard points on each bill, plus the added bonus of the loyalty reward points every year. If you transfer them into Tesco Rewards they are worth far more, and I am really happy with that

Kangakate Mon 06-May-13 17:57:54

I like loyalty schemes but only when you get points for doing your normal thinks like shopping, the supermarket prices are comparable therefor going to a particular supermarket to the points is an added bonus and you can go to which ever supermarket you like. However with energy prices being so high and vastly different, the bonus scheme is not an incentive if the price is dramatically higher in the first place, also your usually tied in for a fixed period. The information given to read needs to be cleareer.

baconbap Mon 06-May-13 18:05:10

I like some loyalty schems such as tesco clubcards, but am no that fussed with others such as nectar.
If I was an eon customer I would rather have clubcard points than an equivalent amount off the bill

balloon666 Mon 06-May-13 19:19:29

Like many others Im on economy 7 with no gas and find it to be very good. I dont colllect points or reward schemes as I find its much more economical to just buy things that are the best deal, rather than be tied to one overpriced shop. This deal doesnt inspire me at all.

angiehoggett Mon 06-May-13 20:46:04

I like reward schemes when the rewards are actually worth saving for and are attainable. I would personally prefer supermarket vouchers.