Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Tell L'Oreal about the mother to daughter beauty tips you've given or received and you could win a L'Oreal goodie bag worth £200! NOW CLOSED

(302 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 09-Feb-15 14:42:08

We've been asked by L'Oreal to find out from gransnetters about beauty tips that have been passed between the generations.

So, what beauty tips did you get from your mother? Maybe she had some great skincare tips that you've followed for years? Or perhaps you have some beauty tips that you've shared with your daughter? Or maybe some tips that you definitely won't be handing down!

Whatever your top tips are - L'Oreal would love to hear about them!

Everyone who adds a comment to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a L'Oreal goodie bag worth £200.

Please note your anonymous comments may be included on L'Oreal's social media channels, and possibly elsewhere, so please only post if you're comfortable with this.

To find out more about L'Oreal's Perfect Age campaign click here: www.loreal-paris.co.uk/perfectage

Anne58 Mon 09-Feb-15 14:52:43

Although my mother was a stickler for cleanliness, she always said that you should wash the front of your neck/throat every other time and wash very gently. Her neck stayed looking young for her age, and I must say mine seems to be doing ok too!

I think she had a point, as although there are all sorts of ways to keep your face looking good, the neck and hands are usually a dead giveaway!

rosequartz Mon 09-Feb-15 15:14:09

My mother always said it was either your face or your figure as you got older - it was better to be slightly plump to avoid a scraggy neck. A very comforting thought when faced with cupcake as happens so often on GN.

I would not offer DD any advice at all as she knows far more than me and is often in despair at things I do (such as wash my face with soap). However, I do always moisturise my neck at the same time as my face as DD advised.

kakawill Mon 09-Feb-15 16:10:19

the 1 tip my mamma gave us all growing up was that if u wee weed in the bath it was ok because it was good for our skin,true or not ill just take her word on that one.........

Grannyknot Mon 09-Feb-15 16:42:16

My mother passed on the "moisturise, moisturise, moisturise" mantra. And also, that "less is more".

Although my daughter seldom wears make up, she seems to have absorbed this advice too.

marinamagic Mon 09-Feb-15 16:51:18

My Mother always told me....Always take your make up every night and cream face and neck with upward strokes.NEVER use water
Massage lower legs with any cream,( she always used Ponds) after your morning bath/ shower. I'm 75 now and have always done as I was told? The results are quite good!!

sarat Mon 09-Feb-15 17:04:30

My mum read in a magazine somewhere that the best thing for getting rid of spots/acne is scrubbing with a flannel! It definitely didn't do me any favours and I still have the scars to show for it!

grandmaz Mon 09-Feb-15 17:34:53

my mother passed her very pale, almost translucent skin on to me and her words of wisdom were "true art is to conceal art". She bought me a pretty pink china pot of what she called "foundation cream" for my 13th birthday and urged me to always use face and neck creams to keep my skin looking young and fresh and not to pile on the make up - my skin isn't bad for a 62 year old so I'm grateful for her advice!

inishowen Mon 09-Feb-15 17:53:39

Mum told me to rinse my hair in vinegar after washing it. I don't think I'd like the smell nowadays! She suggested Vaseline as a lip balm, also for putting on eyelashes and eyebrows, and for the hard skin on feet! She would encourage me to get a good suntan in the summer, but now we know better. She sent me to ballet classes, as she said it would mean I always walked gracefully. (I don't know if that worked or not!) She never went out without her lipstick and I tend to do the same. She always wore a nice hat, I don't do that because that fashion has died out. She bought me my first mascara when I was about 14. I was the only girl in my circle who was allowed to wear make up! Because I was allowed, I didn't plaster it on like my friends did.

Tegan Mon 09-Feb-15 18:09:01

My mum told me that about vinegar as well.It does make your hair quite soft I think [I may try it again]. But she also told me to put beer on my hair. I know you could buy beer shampo at one time so maybe she had a point about that confused.

whenim64 Mon 09-Feb-15 18:35:59

Mine told me to never scrub your face, especially the delicate skin around your eyes, and to moisturise daily all the skin that is not covered by clothes. I'm not convinced that regular moisturising stops skin ageing but it does make it look better. I advised my children to use sun protection cream on their skin, whether it's in bog standard sun cream or fancy moisturiser.

isis53 Mon 09-Feb-15 18:48:31

my mother always told me to stay out of the sun she never sunbathed and her skin is still good

Lapwing Mon 09-Feb-15 22:21:05

Not to drink tea as it was aging, I never have as I do not like the taste and my skin is quite good but that is probably just down to luck.

janerowena Mon 09-Feb-15 22:56:55

To wear a hat in the sun, to keep gloves on in the sun if possible, and to keep my chest covered in sun too, otherwise I would have a chest that looked like an old leather handbag by the time I was 30.

I did find it very hard in an age of bare skin and hatlessness, and I remember going on holiday with friends and being laughed at for the coverups I wore, but I had her youthful looks to keep me on the straight and narrow and I think it paid off. I didn't wear gloves when out, but I always have when gardening and driving. If too hot when driving, then I always have factor 50 in the car and put some on the backs of my hands. Factor 50 gets liberally smeared everywhere now.

rosequartz Mon 09-Feb-15 23:40:34

I love tea, lapwing and it is probably too late to give it up now. The wrinkles won't go into reverse!

mjagger Tue 10-Feb-15 14:36:38

My grandmother used Oil of Ulay, so did my mother and now I do!

nonnasusie Tue 10-Feb-15 15:48:49

However late you arrive home always remove your makeup before going to bed! My Mum told me and I told my daughter! There's nothing worse than "panda" eyes and makeup on the pillow in the morning!!

Leannem90 Tue 10-Feb-15 15:49:44

My mother always taut me to look my best

janeyf Tue 10-Feb-15 15:50:59

The beauty tip my mother passed down to me was to ensure I always have a splash of colour on my lips so as to not look washed out.

catmiaow Tue 10-Feb-15 15:53:50

My Mum told me to loose weight whilst i'm young, but not too much as men don't like women who are too skinny. Also she said don't wear too much makeup, natural is the nicest.

daisybeebee Tue 10-Feb-15 15:55:42

My mum always said to be to never over pluck your eyebrows as you will live to regret it. After one teenage disaster I followed her advice and am so happy that I did now that fuller brows are now fashionable.

Ariadne Tue 10-Feb-15 15:57:26

From my grandmother: on lipstick "That stuff's got beetles' blood in it" (Cochineal?) "That dubbin (moisturiser) will ruin your skin."

From my mother: Keep out of the sun; moisturise; lavish on the hand cream; use as little make up as possible.

From my daughter: use olive oil soap; get plenty of fresh air.

From my granddaughter: cleanse and cleanse again; moisturise; build up your eye make up gradually; give your skin a rest now and then.

angiemary Tue 10-Feb-15 15:59:11

I have told the children to look after there skin , when the sun is at its hottest to stay under shelter if possible & to wear sun protection even on a dull day the sun can be damaging, if they can pass this on to there children then this message has been well worth telling.

cinders59 Tue 10-Feb-15 16:09:32

I have told my daughters, always take off your make up before going to sleep, and moisturise to keep your skin soft and protected, drink plenty of water to keep skin hydrated, and protect your skin in the hot sun

rainbowvalley Tue 10-Feb-15 16:13:04

Don't wash your face with soap it causes blackheads, don't ever rub your eyes because the skin in that area is very thin and you will give yourself wrinkles round the eyes, always hold your head up so you don't get a wrinkly neck, make sure your hands are manicured and your hair is tidy, don't pluck eyebrows yourself get them professionally shaped, look after your feet because without them you are going nowhere, if you run out of hair conditioner use mayonnaise, you can make your own beauty mask with mashed avocado and mayonnaise, get plenty of sleep, use a flannel dipped in soggy soap to remove your mascara (keep eyes tightly shut) it's quick and minimalizes wrinkles, to get the colour in the bottle of nail varnish always paint nails 3 times (Last longer and strengthens nails too) Try to look as natural as possible with your make up and always keep clear nail varnish in your bag in case your tights get a ladder, clear thread in case a button drops off etc.