Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Sky wants to know what TV programmes you’ll watch with your GCs this Christmas. £300 voucher to be won! NOW CLOSED

(74 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 05-Dec-16 10:35:13

It’s only a few more weeks until the holiday season is upon us and schools are closed for Christmas. Sky has developed an app for children full of their favourite TV shows and is interested to know what TV programmes you’ll be watching with your GCs over the holidays.

What are your favourite TV shows to watch together? Are they the same ones as when your children were young, or even when you were young? What’s your routine for watching TV shows together? Do you snuggle up on the sofa in front of the fire with a cup of hot chocolate? Maybe you watch a quick show together on their tablet before bedtime? Whatever you watch, Sky Kids would like to hear about it.

Here’s what Sky has to say about the Sky Kids app: "the Sky Kids app is a tablet app just for the kids and full of their favourite TV shows like Paw Patrol, Scooby Doo, Octonauts, Ben & Holly’s Little Kingdom, SpongeBob SquarePants and more – all available to watch on demand and at no extra cost for Sky’s Variety and Box Sets Bundle customers. The app lets you set up a personalised profile for each of your GCs with shows tailored to their age and their very own homepage with their name on it. You can also set time limits and put the app to sleep whenever you want – YWBU not to!"

Please share your favourite programmes to watch with your GCs below and you will be entered into a prize draw where one Gransnetter will win a £300 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list)

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

GNHQ

Standard T&Cs apply

ninathenana Mon 05-Dec-16 12:23:44

A bit presumptuous.
Not everybody sees their grandchildren over Christmas, we won't. Not everyone has Sky, we don't.

rosesarered Mon 05-Dec-16 12:32:54

We do have Sky, and for us, it's worth every penny.Our young grandchildren are obsessed by Paw Patrol, so we will definitely be watching that show, also Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom(which I like!)

Grannyknot Mon 05-Dec-16 12:35:39

One day one of these will be posted without the first comment being a negative one! (Sorry, nina) I don't think that they are saying you need to have Sky. Sure, not everyone will see their grandchildren over Christmas.

I will see my grandson on Christmas Eve and I hope to start getting him to settle down to a film, something like Jungle Book (the original version). Although he is only coming up to 3, he does seem to be able to concentrate on a storyline.

However, if it was down to him, it would be Paw Patrol over and over!

Beammeupscottie Mon 05-Dec-16 13:04:29

I used to love watching Scooby Doo with the grandkids when they were little. They would sometimes wander off and I would find myself laughing all alone on the sofa.

gillybob Mon 05-Dec-16 13:07:27

I will have my DGC staying over quite a lot over the Christmas break however we do not have Sky. I did look into it but its very expensive. shock

We do have an extensive DVD collection and no doubt the oldies but goodies will come out again. Home Alone, Elf, Santa Claus the Movie etc.

joannapiano Mon 05-Dec-16 13:11:48

We have a very basic Sky TV package, so only have CBeebies and CBBC.
DGDs aged 2,4 and 8 were really excited that another character had joined Paw Patrol-"Amigo" I think he's called.
We all still laugh at The Minions, even the 16 year old, and like their two movies.
10 year old DGS likes "Ice Road Truckers" !!

NanaandGrampy Mon 05-Dec-16 13:17:23

We won't watch any TV on Christmas Day and Boxing Day even though we will be with our grandkids .

But we all love a bit of Paw Patrol and I suspect we will record any new episodes which we will watch with the little ones and then we will have to act it out ( I get to be Sky ( because I'm a girl ) .... who knew smile

ninathenana Mon 05-Dec-16 16:28:31

Grannyknot sorry I think the op hit a nerve sad

annodomini Mon 05-Dec-16 17:08:14

As my GC range from 9 to 24, the common factor will almost certainly be Dr Who.

tanith Mon 05-Dec-16 17:14:40

My GC range from 3 to 28 I won't see the younger one at all when I get together with the older ones we don't watch tv also don't have Sky to expensive for us.

hildajenniJ Mon 05-Dec-16 18:44:56

We fell out with Sky and cancelled our subscription. We now have freesat and a smart TV, and don't miss Sky one little bit.

Pittcity Mon 05-Dec-16 21:21:49

Good old fashioned Tom and Jerry, a favourite with the whole family.

mcem Mon 05-Dec-16 22:04:08

Since I refuse pointblank to put cash into the pocket of the odious Rupert M, Sky tv will not feature at all over Christmas or at any other time!

Grannyknot Mon 05-Dec-16 22:13:54

Sorry too Nina I should have thought of that. flowers

Nandalot Mon 05-Dec-16 22:18:04

The DGC who will be with us at Christmas are still quite young and enjoyed the to versions of 'The Gruffalo', 'The Gruffalo's Child' , so we are looking forward to the adaptation of 'We're all going on a Bear Hunt' this Christmas.
Everyday programmes we enjoy watching with them are 'Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom' and as they are twins, 'Topsy and Tim'.

Maggiemaybe Mon 05-Dec-16 22:50:38

We don't have Sky, but DD2 does, so we occasionally watch with DGS2 when we look after him at his house. He hardly ever watches TV, but he does enjoy Paw Patrol, so if that's on Sky we'll possibly watch that. I must say I much prefer Cbeebies - well-thought out and intelligent programmes such as Do You Know? with Maddie, which is his favourite at the moment too, and no inane adverts.

suzied Tue 06-Dec-16 04:23:58

We enjoy the occasional "family" film, something like The Railway Children or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or the BFG. The David Walliams ones like the Boy in The Dress were good. If there's something like that on over Christmas when the GC are round I'm sure we'll watch it.

Izabella Tue 06-Dec-16 08:59:37

W cannot afford Sky so had it taken out years ago. Totally out of the question, even the basic packages cost a fortune.

yggdrasil Tue 06-Dec-16 16:44:28

Christmas Day is Dr Who Day. We will be at my daughter's and anyone who doesn't want to see it will leave before it starts :-)

marpau Thu 08-Dec-16 20:20:42

My grandson lives law patrol so we will be watching that am in with anything Spider-Man I will try my best to encourage him to watch a traditional Christmas film too

grannypiper Fri 09-Dec-16 07:31:20

We are on our own for Christmas but if DGC were here it would be Thomas the tank engine for DGS who is 2 and for DGD aged 8 (9 on sunday) it would be the salvager, shed and buried or anything on Dave snuggled up with her Pops.

vampirequeen Fri 09-Dec-16 11:48:56

We'll settle to watch 'Land Of Giants: A Walking With Dinosaurs Special' on Christmas Eve.

Purpledaffodil Fri 09-Dec-16 11:49:28

Anything without loud music and garish computer animation. narrows the choice rather!

M0nica Fri 09-Dec-16 17:04:49

We will probably not watch any. Children may watch some early morning cartoons, but that is about it. We will be out and about: panto, country walks, Stately homes dressed for Christmas. We will watch DVDs: Muppets Christmas Carol with Michael Caine is a must and Rossini's Cenerentola with Frederica von Stade. Indoors we play games: scrabble mainly and do quizzes. Children play with their toys or make and do with us.Thanks to GN I have a nice new quiz book for this Christmas and, of course, talk non-stop

Generally we do not have time to watch TV.