Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Ideal cruise destination? Share with Holland America Line - £300 voucher to be won! NOW CLOSED

(233 Posts)
EllieGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 26-Apr-18 12:15:20

Cruises can be a great way to see the world and visit multiple places in one holiday! Holland America Line would love you to share what your dream cruise destination would be and why you would choose that place.

Here’s what Orlando Ashford President of Holland America Line has to say: “A Holland America Line cruise does so much more than merely take people from one place to the next. It enriches and enlightens us as we discover new places, cultures and people. It brings the world closer together, journey by journey”

Perhaps you have a city halfway across the world that you would love to visit? Maybe you would like to visit a country you’ve never been to before but is a little closer to home? Or do you dream of taking a trip to a small island somewhere?

Whatever your ideal cruise destination share it on the thread below, along with reason why and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

Moocow Sun 29-Apr-18 11:34:44

I've always wanted to visit Canada so for me, without thinking of all the reasons stopping me, a lovely interesting relaxing Canadian cruise would be for me.

TheMaggiejane1 Sun 29-Apr-18 11:51:39

I’d love to do a Mississippi River cruise in a paddle steamer. They look so elegant and there are so many wonderful places to visit along the way.

quizqueen Sun 29-Apr-18 12:24:47

The only cruise I have ever taken was a river cruise on the Nile with a company called Just You and that was wonderful. My double room ( for single person occupancy ) with balcony was as good as any I've experienced in a hotel, the food was great and the entertainment was apt for that country. I can't think of much worse than to be stuck on the ocean for days in stormy seas with loads of unknown people and Janette McDonald type entertainment for company, staying in a pokey inside cabin and rushing to see as much as possible of a country during a few short hours in port which often aren't even included in the price. It would be my idea of hell along with an empty bank account!

Stansgran Sun 29-Apr-18 14:09:06

I would like to do a river cruise from Amsterdam as far east as possible to nclude Bucharest up to the Black Sea. I've done plenty of cruises but they've always been chosen for the places they are going to not the ambiance of the individual cruise lines although I love the Pandaw cruises on the Mekong and the Irrawaddy . Bliss. The other place I've not been to is Hawaii which I think would be interesting. My dream place was Bora Bora, such a beautiful island.

Miriam Sun 29-Apr-18 14:43:32

I have always wanted to cruise up the fjords and see the Northern Lights. It is on my bucket list but I had better hurry up and get it booked!

Nezumi65 Mon 30-Apr-18 08:25:05

I’ve always thought cruises sound like hell on water, but am being taken on one to Scandinvia this summer (a very kind gift from family). That’s actually a place that has always been on my bucket list so will be delighted to see it. It is my ideal destination. Further north the better. I shall keep an open mind about the actual cruise (I’m more of a wild camper than at ease with luxury type person)- who knows maybe I’ll be converted.

obag Mon 30-Apr-18 09:40:14

Norway every time for me, so clean fresh and beautiful.

Molly10 Mon 30-Apr-18 10:28:56

I would be happy to take a lucky dip on any one of the cruises mentioned above as they all sound great, adventurous, fun and adventurous.

mumofmadboys Mon 30-Apr-18 15:45:53

Norwegian fjords for me please! It sounds sooo beautiful!

Neilspurgeon0 Mon 30-Apr-18 15:51:43

I would love to cruise around the Norwegian fjords, the mountains are beautiful, the sea is glorious and the natural life and flora is gorgeous.

My route would start at Kristiansand, then via Oslo and the inner leads to Harstad and final ending at Tromsö

Seakay Mon 30-Apr-18 17:51:19

all of my dream cruises are to the chillier areas - I would love to see the Arctic, the Antarctic, the Baltic and Scandinavia. Perhaps some amazing year-long "follow the snow" itinerary could be devised!

grannyqueenie Mon 30-Apr-18 19:13:55

Anywhere that you just couldn’t see to best advantage any other way. I can see no other good reason to travel on a huge boat with lots of folk I don’t know!

kaydeed Mon 30-Apr-18 21:46:47

I would choose Singapore as my dream destination. I Would love to see the Gardens by the bay as a garden lover this would be perfect to view the array of plants and flowers on display. I would visit Raffles hotel to have an authentic Singapore sling.

burwellmum Tue 01-May-18 11:29:26

I would like to cruise to Australia like in the olden days.

mumx5inuk Tue 01-May-18 11:32:24

I would like to cruise the Caribbean.

JenniferEccles Tue 01-May-18 16:05:45

Ah cruises. I love cruises!

We have been cruising for about 12 years now. Initially I wasn't keen but my husband was and managed to persuade me, and I am SO glad he did.

I think they are the most wonderful way to spend a holiday. I especially love waking up somewhere different nearly every day. I open the curtains, and this lovely floating hotel has magically transported us to a new destination. I find it fascinating watching us coming into and leaving the ports.

Ok they are not the cheapest holiday but when you consider what is included in the price, I think they represent fantastic value for money.

As well as all the meals included there is always evening entertainment going on around the ship, from a show in the theatre, to maybe a quiz in one of the bars. We often just enjoy walking round the outside decks after dinner looking at the sea though.

Now where to go? The Caribbean is wonderful of course in the winter, and it feels almost decadent to be walking on a beach in shorts and tee shirt in January or February!

I would always chose the Med and the Adriatic though in the Summer because of the sheer variety of the ports of call.

Sailing into and out of Venice is one of life's 'must sees'.
It is simply magical gliding slowly through the water with all the sights unfolding. Then it's down the Adriatic calling in maybe at Dubrovnik and Split, Croatia to reach the Greek Islands of Santorini with it's pretty blue domed churches, and Mykonos where Shirley Valentine was filmed.

I would then go through the Straits of Messina into the Med and on to Naples to see Capri or maybe Pompei.

Depending on the length of the cruise it could also take in Rome and Florence.

All wonderful!

CompGirl23 Tue 01-May-18 16:06:21

Hubby and I would love to cruise to the Far East China, Hong Kong and then go on to Sydney. These places are on our bucket lists. I don't fancy the long haul flight so cruising a part of the way is perfect.

Happiyogi Tue 01-May-18 16:43:27

I'd love to see the Norwegian fjords, but not on a huge cruise liner please. Then, if there's time at the end, the Scottish islands would be an extra treat!

callgirl1 Tue 01-May-18 22:20:49

I loved our cruise to the fjords, and would love to go again in the summertime, but somewhere I`ve always fancied cruising around is Alaska. I have a very thick book about Alaska from prehistoric times to the present day, and it`s really whetted my appetite.

granfromafar Tue 01-May-18 22:30:31

Have never been on a cruise, but have just picked up a bagful of brochures on rivet cruising to peruse. Maybe a gentle European rivet cruise might tempt me. Our last holiday was a full-on tour of Australia and New Zealand which was so hectic that the exact opposite is very appealing. Maybe a lovely journey along the Danube to Budapest would be the answer? Can't wait to go!

NfkDumpling Wed 02-May-18 07:14:50

I don’t ‘do’ cold holidays so it was with trepidation we went on a Hurtigruten cruise with friends last January. I loved it. I love being on floaty things anyway but this was my first proper cruise too. We have friends who went with Holland America to Alaska and had a wonderful time so that’s the cruise I would choose for choice as a way of seeing cold places in comfort. But anywhere will do. Anywhere at all!

gillyknits Wed 02-May-18 09:59:06

During the war my father was stationed in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) and often spoke with great enthusiasm aboutbsome of the places that he saw. I would love to follow in his footsteps and visit the places he spoke ,so fondly, about.

MaggieMay69 Wed 02-May-18 10:00:13

I would love to take the grandchildren and see the Northern lights together - they look so magical, only ever seen them in pictures, so to travel by cruise to see them would be out of this world! x

tiggers Wed 02-May-18 10:40:10

Santorini and the Greek Islands for me please. Have heard that Santorini is very beautiful and I love sunshine - so, win win with that destination.

lgo Wed 02-May-18 13:20:51

My ideal cruise would be sailing around the islands in French Polynesia and snorkelling off the coast of Bora Bora,enjoying the tranquil seas brimming with sea life.Cannot think of anything more idyllic.