Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What are your top tips for selling a home? - £300 voucher to be won

(346 Posts)
EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 24-Sep-18 09:58:59

NOW CLOSED

If you’ve sold your home before, or nosed around someone else’s, you’ll know that first impressions count. There’s a load of advice out there on how to get your house market-ready but Purplebricks wants to hear from you with your top tips for selling and what you look for when you view houses.

If you have grandchildren...how do you hide store all the toys?! What about redecorating? Is there a go-to paint colour? Maybe you do small things like having fresh bedding and flowers for house viewings? Or do you clean clean clean and clean again?

Here’s what Purplebricks have to say: “GNers, let’s talk kerb appeal. What gets you going or just gets your goat when you’re looking round a potential new property? Have you got any advice you could share on how to present your property for maximum impact? Share it with us.”

So, whatever your tips are for selling, share them on the thread below and everyone who comments will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck
GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

grannyqueenie Wed 17-Oct-18 06:00:59

Make sure it’s clean, tidy and smells nice, otherwise be as relaxed as you can. Otherwise buyers think you’re trying to hide something!

Larsonsmum Wed 17-Oct-18 12:04:39

Make the house feel as welcoming and homely as possible, and that means NOT shoving everything in cupboards, and boxes in the garage, and sending the family dog away!

In my experience potential buyers actually like to see that people 'live' in their homes, and are suspicious of clinical properties!

ha2el Thu 18-Oct-18 13:55:22

Paint and clean the front of the house and tidy up the garden and/or put some large pot plants out to give a good impression to make people feel welcome and want to come in. We repainted the brickwork of out house and the front door. We also put everything that made the house look cluttered into cupboards, and have been known to put things in our camper van temporarily whilst people came to view.

deliabalan Thu 18-Oct-18 18:36:12

I sold my house in one week and the second person to view it bought it. my advice is to make sure your home is clean and that it smells fresh.. place some fresh flowers in the living room make sure the beds are well made and the rooms with minimal clutter. Place the seats down on the toilets and have the towels folded. If you have a garden have the garden mowed and offer to show them your garden.

Maddie49 Fri 19-Oct-18 22:14:01

Be welcoming to prospective buyers! They may not be to your taste but if they are really interested in your home making them feel comfortable is the first step to a good sale. Answer questions honestly and have details of utility costs, council tax etc to hand. Be clear what is included in the price and what are optional extras. Be realistic in what your home is worth both to you and prospective purchaser. Enjoy the experience - this is the ideal opportunity to showcase your home and make it an attractive proposition for the buyer, to make them want to live there!

dani4 Sat 20-Oct-18 14:22:04

Make sure your rooms are clutter-free and as light and airy as possible. A mirror hung in the hall can give the illusion of space and a few vases of flowers or some plants can freshen up the house.

A kitchen is a big selling point, so make sure all the worktops are clear and that it smells fresh and clean.

MRSJ1 Sat 20-Oct-18 14:22:33

Give the walls a fresh paint in a light colour. Always have a pot of coffee on, or bread baking in the oven when viewings are taking place.

SHORTMAN Sat 20-Oct-18 18:13:51

Make everything look low maintenance - garden, kitchen, bathroom - no unnecessary fuss, easy to keep clean tiles etc - neutral decor also means a buyer can envisage how it will look when their own belongings are moved in

floss250 Sun 21-Oct-18 16:33:49

Make sure it is clean and tidy and smells fresh. Ensure entrance hall is free from clutter and allow visitors to have some time viewing to wander around without you glued to their side.

grandmac Sun 21-Oct-18 16:36:07

Took me about 4 months to accept an offer but 16 months to get to completion!! They offered the asking price which I had set £20k above the agents estimate so I held on for them to sell their property. Unique property with amazing 180 degree sea views, so I felt it was worth trying for a higher price.
Some people can’t see past a bit of clutter but I had offers when I was half packed and there were cardboard boxes in every room. I think location, neighbours and schools are what most buyers seem to look at.

shoe Sun 21-Oct-18 18:56:00

Important when youre selling your house, you're selling a lifestyle too! dress the house and garden, ie barbeque garden chairs etc... bicycle in the drive as we're near bike path, coffee a brewing and flowers in the house, all things to add a homely appeal.
If marketing in the Winter, show pics of how the garden looks in summer, can be hard to imagine in the depths of winter when no leaves on the trees. Good Luck everyone!

Cherrytree59 Sun 21-Oct-18 19:05:27

A nice new 'welcoming' mat at front and back doors.
Put out for prospective buyers and then whipped away to keep
pristine look.wink

franjess2000 Mon 22-Oct-18 10:43:39

Make sure the basics look good - kitchen, bathroom and garden. Most buyers will be able to look past your decor and they will want to change it to suit them anyway. Make an effort to be friendly and give lots of information.
And ensure there is no smell of animals as that is what put me off buying a house.

varian Mon 22-Oct-18 19:02:22

Avoid all nasty smells - especially coffee - it makes some people feel nauseous.

Candelle Mon 22-Oct-18 19:02:58

I think that with all the TV programmes and magazine articles giving advice on how to sell your home (fresh coffee brewing and bread baking in the oven etc.), they look, well... suspicious! I would wonder what is being 'disguised'...

A tidy, fairly clutter-free home will sell if it is in a desirable location. Otherwise, it may take a little longer.

You bought your home, so someone else will want it too.

Make prospective buyers welcome and drop in little hints about local activities or hidden gems they may be unaware of but leave the coffee until it is actually coffee time!

annep Tue 23-Oct-18 21:10:01

Presentation is important, clean, fresh smelling, good decor, no clutter. If a house looks well cared for you will feel confident that it has been well maintained, which is important.

theresacoo Thu 25-Oct-18 09:28:46

obviously make sure its tidy before a viewing. I have a friend in sales and you would be surprised. she has had to make beds and wash up before.
I think to sell your house you need to be realistic on price, otherwise it sits too long and becoming unsellable because its been on too long. i live in a well sort after area and this happens but now the houses aren't selling quickly. they are dropping their prices by tens of thousands .

milli Thu 25-Oct-18 19:17:58

Remove all clutter and store it elsewhere.

Brendaj Fri 26-Oct-18 14:13:49

my tip is to get more than one valuation as there is quite a difference between estate agents. prices can vary quite a lot. also ask around to find out whether the agent you chose does his best to market your property.not just put it on the market then expect you to keep having to phone up them to find out how things are progressing with the sale. Not every agent does what they will tell you they will do when you sign up with them.

Quodett Sat 27-Oct-18 08:12:26

Declutter, declutter, declutter.
I like to show people around myself, I always seem to sell quicker than leaving it to Estate Agents.

spaghetti Sun 28-Oct-18 12:25:37

I have recently sold a house and bought a house.

Whilst some people are looking for properties for re-development most people are not therefore remember that first impressions count. My top tips would be

Weed and tidy the garden, adding a few seasonal plants
Ensure your house is always very clean and tidy...no unpleasant smells or clutter! The use of an air freshener or candles helps.
Add little touches such as vases of flowers and a house plant or two.

duncanbrown Sun 28-Oct-18 12:43:35

De-clutter but don't leave it bare. 1st impressions count the most so a tidy and clean front garden and front of the house is a must. Just before a viewing bake some bread or biscuits or perculate some coffee to fill the house with a homely and comforting smell.

varian Sun 28-Oct-18 15:01:56

On no account allow the horrible stink of coffee to pervade your house. It makes some people feel nauseous so they would not set foot over the doorstep.

varian Sun 28-Oct-18 15:04:35

I do know that many folk like coffee but that one person that hates its stink could be the only person in a position to buy who would otherwise snap it up.

buntybaby Sun 28-Oct-18 16:49:23

My advice would be to price accurately from the outset if you really want to sell. So many friends and family have not done this and almost without exception are surprised when they have had to drop their price in order not to lose the property they wanted. Secondly clear away clutter and dirty washing - it does matter! Visiting one house for sale with the estate agent where the family smalls were soaking in the bathroom sink was a big NO NO