Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What do you think about the Gransnet site?

(100 Posts)
EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Oct-18 17:20:36

We want to improve our users experience of using Gransnet and would love to know what you think about the site, including how it looks and functions, and if there are any aspects of the site that you really like, would change, or get rid of?

Do you have any ideas for how we could make the site look nicer or easier to use? Do you find the site easy to navigate around? Do you prefer using Gransnet on desktop, mobile, or tablet? Are there any new features or functions you’d like us to add to make your experience of the site better?

We can't wait to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks

GNHQ

Terms and conditions apply

merlotgran Thu 25-Oct-18 17:43:11

Is there any point in saying we'd like an edit facility? hmm

GrannyGravy13 Thu 25-Oct-18 17:46:38

I second the edit facility x

kittylester Thu 25-Oct-18 17:54:15

I think one thing I would say is that we are continually being asked but little notice is taken.

Baggs Thu 25-Oct-18 17:59:41

I don't think about the site much at all. If the talk forums part didn't work I might think about it a bit. I mainly use an iPad. I don't like using the mobile site for chats on the forums because you can't see who commented last.

I very rarely go to the home page.

Mamissimo Thu 25-Oct-18 17:59:47

An edit facility
An empathy button to show we’ve read a post, we empathise but have nothing new to add to the discussion - could have a negative empathy button too so that we didn’t give awful post oxygen
Take games out of the forums and have a games area
Make the shed bigger......

GrannyGravy13 Thu 25-Oct-18 18:17:47

I agree with a like/empathy button

Bathsheba Thu 25-Oct-18 18:35:04

Is there really any point in our telling you what we like or don't like? I seem to recall a lengthy thread asking our opinions on the last changes to the forums. From what I remember the vast majority of posters protested at the new font, but it made not a jot of difference. The new font was here to stay.
And yes, we've been asking for an edit button since time immemorial - always refused.
Why do you bother asking us? confused

cornergran Thu 25-Oct-18 18:38:46

A dedicated games area and yes, an edit button - please

Fennel Thu 25-Oct-18 18:43:43

edit button please.
It makes us look so stupid and senile when our mistakes are printed.

joannapiano Thu 25-Oct-18 18:44:18

I agree about the games having their own dedicated area.

Esspee Thu 25-Oct-18 18:59:35

I wholeheartedly agree with everything said above re. being able to edit contributions, games being removed to a dedicated section, the awful font which is so small and antiquated, empathy and negative empathy buttons and I would like to add that with Mumsnet all contributions by the OP show up highlighted in green whereas on Gransnet this does not happen. (This is possibly something I could correct but don't know how to)

Nandalot Thu 25-Oct-18 19:06:12

I agree it would be useful to have OP later comments highlighted so that one could more easily spot updates.

A minor point, but under the Competitions heading, the drop down list only gives Offers/Product Tests and Surveys. Why not a third choice where one can find the active competitions. Alternatively, rename it!

Jane10 Thu 25-Oct-18 19:07:30

Edit function and like/empathy button

Elegran Thu 25-Oct-18 19:36:41

Most (all ?) the reples are about the forum. How much do forum posters actually use the rest of the site? I don't think I have looked at anything for years. I suspect some posters don't even know that there are articles on all kinds of subjects.

NanKate Thu 25-Oct-18 19:54:00

I regularly start threads on topics I have heard on my local radio station. I would like HQ to challenge us all to come up with new topics. Maybe offer a small prize for the best new thread of the month.

We have asked for an Edit button but we never get one. If Facebook can offer one why can’t we ?

POGS Thu 25-Oct-18 20:14:20

The ' Search' facility is very poor in my opinion.

M0nica Thu 25-Oct-18 20:22:07

I am another who really only use the forums and occasionally look at competitions, I have won prizes several times.

I have occasionally looked at other sections, I did so before writing this post, but most of them are very age related and that means limited in range so not of much interest. I really do not define myself by age, so feel a bit awkward with age limited information.

I confess I find the Style and Beauty section laughable. Once again the tall well-coiffed elegantly dressed older women are completely alien to me and I have no desire to look like them. I find the recommendations for what to wear and not to wear at 50, 60 etc etc bizarre. By the time you reach 50 plus people vary so much in size, shape, hair, health and how they are aging that no advice can apply to more than 10% of us.

PECS Thu 25-Oct-18 20:23:54

I am in agreement re the forum section having a like/empathy/ agree type button, edit facility..so useful when using my phone. Idea of a games section is good too!

Is their a blog archive already? If not that would be good!

Grannyknot Thu 25-Oct-18 20:38:37

Hi Emma, I find the GN website user-friendly, easy to navigable and clear. I can usually find what I'm looking for from the home page (e.g. Recipes). If I want to search for something on GN (e.g. a thread), I open a second tab on the browser and use Google and put the subject/topic in and add Gransnet, and up it comes.

I'm not that fussed about an edit button on the forums - I think if it was possible, you'd have added it by now with all the requests for it, so I assume the forum software doesn't support an "edit" function. (On other forums that I've posted on in the past, there was a window during which posts could be edited, otherwise you could just go back for evermore and change what you wrote smile, making nonsense of posts and threads, so that's one reason for not having one).

I visit the Forum page, the Competition page and occasionally some of the other pages.

Fonts, colours, I don't really mind.

mcem Thu 25-Oct-18 21:06:27

Rehashing all the earlier requests and comments!
We've been here and done this. Innumerable requests for an Edit Button - refused. Complaints about the antiquated font - ignored.
Why on earth bother unless you actually do listen?
I don't use the features, blogs or home page so the suggestions for improvements to the forums are important to me.
Won't hold my breath in anticipation of posters' wishes coming about!

Cherrytree59 Thu 25-Oct-18 21:12:59

Mumsnet has a 30 or 90day thread option that in your own words "goes pouf at the end of the allotted time and does not end up on
Google "

Requested this option for GN a few months ago and HQ said would look into the possibility.

BlueBelle Thu 25-Oct-18 21:29:47

No point in ever giving any of our ideas as they are always ignored More of everyone’s else’s suggestions
Edit button
Like/ empathy button
A way of seeing you have a new inbox message
Games not mixed in with new comments
But why bother they are always refused
I don’t go anywhere else but the forum

Melanieeastanglia Thu 25-Oct-18 21:47:07

I think a "Like/Empathy button would be a good idea, as well as an edit facility. For the edit facility, there could be a five minute window perhaps or people would keep editing their posts.

I think it would be nice if the OP's posts within a thread could be highlighted in a different colour.

Hope you are able to use some of our ideas.

Thank you in anticipation!

ninathenana Fri 26-Oct-18 08:18:29

Elegran I never look at the rest of the site.
I have the active page of the mobile site pinned to start on my phone and my Kindle. I haven't used my laptop for months.
I agree with what others have suggested.