Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your fun family holiday stories with TUI - chance to win a £300 voucher

(125 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Dec-19 09:50:50

Most people spend their time counting down the days until their family holiday as soon as the flights and accommodation are booked. Family holidays give us a chance to escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, but most importantly allow us to let loose and have fun. Maybe you’re an adrenaline junkie who heads for the biggest slide at the waterpark or perhaps your idea of fun is basking in the sun at the poolside with a good book in hand. With this in mind, TUI wants to hear about your most fun family holiday.

Here’s what TUI have to say: “At TUI, we know that your family holiday is a time to reconnect and have fun. That’s why we’ve designed hotels especially for families to make it the best week, or two, of the year. From allowing you to take your car seat or pushchair with you free of charge, to offering baby changing facilities, kids’ clubs and children’s buffets in resort, we’ve thought of every little detail to give you a hassle free and family-friendly holiday. We’d love to hear from Gransnetters about their favourite holiday moments with their family.”

If you were asked to name one family holiday that is most memorable to you as being “fun”, what would you say and why? What type of holiday do you feel you can get the most fun out of? Would you rather spend your time in good company, basking in the good weather or eating good food? What kind of activities do you do to make memories with your children on holiday? Perhaps you all jump into the pool the second you arrive at the resort? Or maybe you’d rather go on a family excursion to see the local sights and scenery?

Tell us about your most fun family holiday on the thread below and you will be entered into a prize draw where 1 GNer will win a £300 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

Mazamet07 Fri 20-Dec-19 16:30:12

Ask any of my daughters about their best ever holiday and they would without hesitation reply, "Yellowstone". We stayed in log cabins, tracked wolves, spotted bears, counted bison, went stargazing, ate banana pancakes (shaped like a bear!), calculated Old Faithful's next eruption, marvelled at swarms of butterflies and dragonflies and paddled in creeks. Unforgettable!

Laura0097531 Fri 20-Dec-19 17:24:05

My favourite would have to be this year when I went to benidorm with my other half and daughter to celebrate my birthday. We had a lovely pool view room and was right in in the centre as we stayed at the famous Sol Pelícanos Ocas Hotel from the Benidorm program. We had a wonderful stay, there was a wide variety of food in the main restaurant as well as at the snack bar. We spent a fair amount of time around the pool but we loved exploring outside the hotel and going on day trips! At the end of the holiday my partner proposed on the balcony! It was very romantic and a very special holiday which I will never forget!

MAForster Fri 20-Dec-19 17:25:39

The Isle of Wight some 20 years ago. So much to see and do on one island, not to mention lovely old underground trains to travel on.

lilydily9 Fri 20-Dec-19 20:01:57

The year was 1958 and I was a 10 year old excited schoolkid. Mum and dad had booked the family into a holiday camp for the week. I don't remember much about the weather but the food was good and there was plenty of entertainment. I made a friend and we entered ourselves in the fancy dress competition, I as Andy Capp and she, my wife, Florrie. We didn't win but the memory of those outfits still makes me laugh. Next was the talent show, we decided to sing "Lollypop' by the Chordettes, again we didn't win but weren't surprised as we giggled most of the way through it! Best holiday I ever had.

joysutty Fri 20-Dec-19 20:57:43

We had lovely holiday when our two children were just young teenagers to Fueuteventura. We had hired a car and one day decided to have a drive to a nice white Sandy beach that had been recommended to us and we were where it was in the small map we purchased. After walking for a short while to find a nice spot to put down our towels saw couple walking towards us naked. Then realised it was a naturist beach. And no-one has told us. Our children's eyes were wide open. But we all remained with our swimming costumes on.

Anj123 Fri 20-Dec-19 23:27:53

The first time I went on an all inclusive holiday was when my daughter was 5 years old. It was in Austria and it was amazing because I didn’t have to think about meals, and there were pools which kept my daughter entertained, and kids clubs. Every afternoon there was a massive range of cakes served with coffee and tea. That was definitely a memorable holiday!

Elrel Sat 21-Dec-19 00:46:54

Cumbria, well organised family activity holiday with plenty of choice for everyone and inclusive evening events. Thank you. YMCA!

Holidayenthusiast Sat 21-Dec-19 07:30:52

My most fun family holiday was a cruise around Italy when the children were older. There was a mix of sightseeing in Rome, Florence and Pisa with some relaxation time on beaches or around the ship’s pools. Each day brought us to a new port and a new adventure.
Food, entertainment and service were excellent. On the cruise we packed so much in with a minimum of effort on our part. It made for a fun holiday.

fourormore Sat 21-Dec-19 21:52:48

Going back many, many years but the one holiday that all my 'now grown-up' children remember is when they were about 9yrs, 7yrs and 6yrs old.
We went to Pontins on a 'themed' holiday which involved arts, crafts and other activities for young and old!
The boys took part in the usual football penalty competitions etc. but they all took part in many different activities - making things out of pegs, bread making, rambling, swimming, acting/singing etc.
They will never forget their sister making lemon creams - she misread the instructions and added a tablespoonful of lemon essence instead a teaspoonful! Believe me - they were sharp!!! shock
While the kids were occupied the adults could try out yoga, relaxation exercises, reflexology etc. as well as similar crafts to the children.
I have never seen a similar holiday available, which is a shame as the GC would love that sort of thing.

grannypiper Sun 22-Dec-19 07:58:56

A friend and i were both going through very traumatic divorces, being Forces wives divorce meant we lost our homes, jobs and social and support networks all in one go, both of our ex'es had cheated and had chosen to not see our children for months on end. Two years of stress and worry had left us both wrung out so we booked a holiday to a very quiet hotel on a Spanish Island, we lay by the pool each day, read books and drank tea, at night we dined and were in our beds by 9. Boring by some standards but just what we both needed. We returned home in a better place. Life started again on that holiday.

flowersfromheaven Sun 22-Dec-19 19:08:59

It's got to be when we took our daughter to Egypt for her 21st birthday, I arranged a birthday meal and a big bunch of flowers to be delivered to her room before we arrived which was the biggest bunch of flowers I have ever seen, Then my partner took her diving 4 times whilst we was there which she loved, Quad biking in the desert was great fun, all in all it was a fun packed holiday. Egypt is a beautiful place to visit with lots to do and see I would love to go back to see more of the country.

Evie64 Mon 23-Dec-19 00:11:46

Definitely Thailand. Best holiday ever. Nong Nooch Village, the Royal Palace and the Jade Buddha were just amazing. I fed a tiger cub from a bottle and sat with a full grown Tiger and a leopard. It was on my bucket list. Love the big cats. Then 10 days on the beach. Would love to go again, but I don't think I can be bothered with long haul flights etc. Would consider a cruise perhaps?

wallers5 Mon 23-Dec-19 08:01:50

Menorca in July was a dream come true for my Granddaughters as they had never had a holiday abroad or been on a plane. The little villa has a pool & they were in it night & day! They loved walking to the beach & enjoyed the warm water & snorkelling. We did a boat trip from the capitals famous harbour. They didn’t like seeing all the abandoned cats though. We were at a Carol service last night & of all coincidences Menorca was mentioned & how they would love to go back.

Auntieflo Mon 23-Dec-19 09:14:45

This is going back to when I was quite young.
My parents had arranged a holiday, with friends and their son, who was one day older than me.
It was to a holiday camp type place, and we all travelled to Walmer, in Kent, by train, which was exciting in itself.
At the station, we were met. by the holiday transport! in all it's glory. It had been a bus in a previous incarnation, and was run down to say the least.
When we arrived at the camp site, we were given directions to our accommodation.
Well, my poor mum, and auntie Ivy, were speechless. The door to our 'chalet' had a broken bakelite handle, and when we got inside, we were met by copious cobwebs and a very dreary interior.
Mum and auntie Ivy got into housewife mode and cleaned the chalets from top to bottom and corner to corner, even the windows got a shine.
We settled in, eventually, I think dad and uncle Tom had gone off to have a quiet smoke somewhere.
I don't remember the food, but we 3 children did have fun.
I won 10/- in a bingo game, which was an enormous amount for me, and my brother got a prize in a dressing up competition.
As far as I remember, the weather was good, and we made a lot of our own fun and adventures.
Our holiday was talked about for a long time by the two families. Not sure if the adults enjoyed it as much as us children though.
Happy days!

GeminiJen Thu 26-Dec-19 18:31:27

We’ve had many memorable family holidays over the years. However, I’ve chosen this one as it happened just before Christmas, was totally spontaneous and had a happy Christmas ending too.
Briefly, my son was in his A levels year and I was concerned that he was becoming stressed. As he had chosen Egyptian Art for his special topic within A level Art, I made a case for him to have an extra week off school and booked for two weeks in Egypt. The first week we spent scuba diving off Hurghada, which we both loved. The second was spent exploring Luxor and the Valley of the Kings. It was brilliant to see the impact this had on his renewed enthusiasm for Egyptian art, history and archaeology. It certainly bore fruit in his ultimate grades. We flew back home on Christmas Eve and just made it into our nearest M&S at 4pm. Only one other customer...but loads of food choices....and a brilliant Christmas too tchgrin

Dannydog1 Fri 27-Dec-19 14:21:52

Fondest memories are of two trips to Florida when the children were young. Disney, beach, water parks, zoos etc. They still talk about it today and have recently taken the grandchildren to Disney Paris as they had such great memories of it.

Grannyknot Fri 27-Dec-19 19:31:12

Our best family holidays were the ones when we took the children back-packing in the mountains in Natal, South Africa - sleeping in caves, washing in streams, eating out of tins (not so nice!). We would fall on the nearest 'home cooked food' cafe on leaving to drive home, and eat everything on the menu!

blubber Sat 28-Dec-19 11:13:07

Our best holiday was in Florida with our two granddaughters and our daughter. Two weeks of laughter, eating out, swimming and good old fashioned fun. A once in a lifetime trip. Eldest granddaughter is working away and my husband has since died but wonderful memories in my heart.

Candelle Sat 28-Dec-19 16:14:18

Not a incredibly beautiful place with outstanding scenery or deep deep luxury (although all very enjoyable) but we had a wonderful week in Belgium with our family. Our age range was then 5 to 70).

We all cycled miles and miles along safe paths, laughed all day long, shared home-cooked meals as well as eating out and... the sun sun shone most of the time.

A decent holiday comprises of whom one is with as much as where one is.

bevmichelle44 Sat 28-Dec-19 17:43:56

Had a fun holiday to ibza with the family and grandchildren, i was the first one on the water slides before the children got up the top of the steps! lol The beach was so clean, hotel had great service and food and the children lived it up till early hours with me on the dance floor! lol ..it's right, give you the right holiday and company and it's one amazing memory to cherish!

glammanana Sat 28-Dec-19 18:00:40

Our most favourite holidays where when the ACs where small we would pack up the VW Camper van set up the bed inside and drive off to Dover and over the Channel then drive through to Costa Brava,my lovely husband would have saved up all his holiday allowance so we could be away with the children for 4 weeks so we had a slow drive there and back taking in all the sights on the way,we ate on a budget of French bread and cheeses and freshly picked fruit bought on the Roadside from farmers,those holidays where the best you could imagine we where talking about them just the other day when reminnising,we hardly spent any money to be honest 4 weeks away cost less than going to a caravan park in UK.

wallers5 Sun 29-Dec-19 06:06:18

Our first holiday ever for the Grandkids was with TUI to Menorca from Exeter. Three generations had such fun. It all went smoothly in the little villa with a pool. A dream come true for the little girls. Their first flight & TUI made it easy. They now are desperate to go again but their parents are full time farmers so it is hard to escape. They will never forget that first & I hope not last holiday!

P3terpan Sun 29-Dec-19 10:36:27

My best memories of a family holiday was when we took our boys to Spain. We went to a water park and the boys (about 10 and 14) took their dad on the kamikaze slide telling him it was great, they got him to go first. It was a vertical slide he came down like a rocket, his trunks shot up (I’ll leave that to the imaginations) I was rolling about laughing, the boys never did the slide! They then took me (gullible or what) on another ride , yes it was steep and I screamed all the way down. We laughed so much and had so much fun on that holiday we still talk about it now and they are all grown up with families of their own. So many family holidays but that one stands out as the best ever

Nannan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 14:09:56

Oh,by far,our most memorable is our much longed for trip to NY city in july 2017- we went for my birthday really,which is day before American independance day- so we were there for that also! It really was worth the money,its something I and my two youngest children (then 18 & 14) had longed to do,hoped to visit,and we really were making memories we will always treasure forever.i dont regret the expence,(got a good deal in jan sales) we had it saved,and the look on my boys faces when i told them we were actually going instead of just talking about it was priceless! Wonderful.As they say,you only regret what you HAVENT done.smile

Nannan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 14:23:54

Fourormore? Butlins still do that sort of thing on all their hols(my kids,even the older ones) all still love Butlins and some have even started taking their own families there,as do i.Pontins,however,have sadly gone downhill over the yearssad