Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Gransnetters share the legacy they'd like to leave when they're gone with Cancer Research UK

(263 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 20-Jan-20 10:31:36

This sponsored discussion is now closed. Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts on this thread.

As we get older, we often think about what our legacy will be; what memories, relationships or objects we leave behind to reflect how we’d like to be remembered. Making a Will is a way to communicate those wishes and the things that are important to someone are often reflected by the things they include. Cancer Research UK would love to hear what matters to you when you think about your legacy.

Here’s what Cancer Research UK has to say: “We know that when writing a Will, your friends and family should always come first. Once they’re taken care of, if you have even just a small gift leftover to leave for Cancer Research UK, this will still make a huge difference. We know from meeting our wonderful supporters that people have left us a gift in their Will because they are passionate about helping to beat cancer and want to continue when they are gone.”

What have you thought about leaving behind? Have you detailed this in a Will? Would you consider leaving a gift to charity in your Will? Would Cancer Research UK be a consideration? How would you like people to remember you when you’re gone?

All who share their thoughts and experiences on the thread below will be entered into a prize draw where 1 lucky GNer will win a £300 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck,
GNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

*If you'd like to find out more about CRUK’s Free Will Service and legacy gifts please click here

glammanana Tue 21-Jan-20 08:46:54

I am making a new will shortly after just loosing my wonderful husband I will be leaving a percentage to a dogs charity and to our local Hospice who gave my mum such brilliant care. I would like to have a bench in my name outside our local Cancer Unit so people can relax with their families during periods of treatment .

Granny23 Tue 21-Jan-20 08:51:42

We are a very close family of 2DDs + 3 DGC. We have passed our savings on to them - House deposits, Weddings, holidays , Savings Accounts for DGC- as we go along. With DH currently in a care home, where he will be self funding for around another year. If I, having worked (as a paid worker), in the Voluntary Sector for most of my life and therefore having no works pension, also need care, then I will not be able to self fund care without selling our Family home. Thus there is little to pass on when we die. I am glad we have shared our money with our DDs when the needed it most.

As a family we have always been involved with various Charities, fundraising and organising events. Currently we raise funds for DH's Care Home, and Alzheimer's. My sister who lost her husband to cancer and now id undergoing treatment for this herself, is a fundraiser for CHAS) (the children's hospice, Cancer research and McMillan Nurses. We are forced gently persuaded to assist in these fundraisers.

I am very glad that we have passed our savings to our family when they needed it. If we had made them wait until we were dead, they would have struggled and we would not have had the pleasure of helping them. Also, taking in to account the cost of care, there would have been next to nothing left to leave to them, or any Charities.

Funkyferret Tue 21-Jan-20 08:54:27

I would like my legacy to be as someone who always tried their best and could see the bright side (even if a very dim light in the bad times!). I support charities regularly. They are small independents in a field I am passionate about. I will consider leaving them a donation in my will (which I must update soon.

sc00ter Tue 21-Jan-20 09:08:31

I just want people to remember me as a kind person who will help others when needed.

My Mom left me her engagement ring and my sister her wedding ring. Didnt need need or want anything else.

mo3733 Tue 21-Jan-20 09:10:48

my legacy is producing two well balanced loving daughters who are contributing to society in a positive way

Angelwings Tue 21-Jan-20 09:17:10

This is a hard task ! I’m not sure how I would like to be remembered when I’m gone - probably like most people would as kind, helpful and friendly.
I support charities as an ongoing part of life and I will continue to do so.
I may leave money to charity in my will but at the moment I haven’t decided which charities.
My will needs updating but I hate doing it so I put it off !

falconer Tue 21-Jan-20 09:21:22

Knowing how much stuff we had to "place" when my Mother died, my legacy would just be money and the house, and all the small items would be kept to a minimum. Plus my book s might sell better when I'm gone!

lizd31 Tue 21-Jan-20 09:25:11

I've made a few stipulations in my will. I'm leaving both my god daughter & godson a large lump sum to enable them to pay a deposit to buy their first home & also a beautiful antique musical weather vane box which my god daughter adores. Everything else is for my great niece apart from another large lump sum to the Cats Protection. I've also made it so that my cats will go to my next door neighbour which is what she wants but, if for some reason she can't take them I've made arrangements with the Cats Protection so that they'll take them in & get them rehomed

maryandbuzz1 Tue 21-Jan-20 09:26:22

We have left everything to our son but both of us donate to charity. Hopefully someone will remember that we were always willing to help or offer help when it was needed. We are volunteering at a charity now that we are retired.

carol2712 Tue 21-Jan-20 09:40:19

As things stand I will be leaving my body to science, as long as I die peacefully, ie not an accident or needing a PM this can then help the doctors of the future unless AI has taken over by then.

janeyf Tue 21-Jan-20 09:43:02

I will leave everything to my remaining family members and hope it will go some way to help them be comfortable financially going forward

prwilson Tue 21-Jan-20 09:46:59

I should like to think that people lead longer, healthier, happier lives.

finleypop Tue 21-Jan-20 09:47:53

I donate to charity, however, I will not be leaving a donation in my will.
Any money will be left to our son, in the hope it can get him on the property ladder. We don't have much money, but homes are becoming more & more difficult to own or even rent, so any security we can give him is our prime objective.

Michelleoliver Tue 21-Jan-20 09:53:55

We have made a will and left our property/belongings to our children. Our children have not been able to financially purchase their own property so we hope this boost of cash once we are gone will help them in some way which can then be passed down with their own children.

carolvs1 Tue 21-Jan-20 09:54:03

Everything we leave will go to our children and grandchildren. We do already give quite a lot to charity currently.

liz1970 Tue 21-Jan-20 09:54:20

As we donate to various charities now, we are leaving everything of ours to our children and grandchildren. I know that then they will probably donate to charities.

nikhop90 Tue 21-Jan-20 10:07:13

I will leave everything I have to my children as I want them to live a comfortable life. However, I donate to charity whilst I am alive.

chris8888 Tue 21-Jan-20 10:12:31

I lost my daughter aged just 33 to mouth cancer so if I had anything to leave it would go to mouth cancer research. I do think though that Cancer Uk seems to get a lot of money from donations, with the only improvements being breast cancer. I am sure other people would say different but that is how I feel.

cookiemonster66 Tue 21-Jan-20 10:21:05

I have made a will, chances are I will die before my younger hubby, and I have a long term chronic pain condition. As I only recently met/married him I made provision for my daughter to receive my share of equity should my hubby remarry, go into a care home or die after me. Initially when I die it goes to him as I would not make him homeless as equity is tied up in the house, BUT should he remarry I do not want the next wife claiming my daughters inheritance as I already had a substantial sum to which she was untitled before I met him. After recent controversies on BBC news the past year or two, I am afraid my trust in charities has gradually fizzled out. I used to do quite a bit of fund raising but as things came to light my heart was no longer in it.

mbody Tue 21-Jan-20 10:27:45

I won’t be leaving any money to charity in my will but would hope any donations received at my funeral will be split between the two charities I currently volunteer with.

wildswan16 Tue 21-Jan-20 10:42:49

I have given to certain charities all my life and will continue to do so, but will not be making any specific instructions in my will. I trust my children to be generous to any particular organisation that may have helped me in my "dying" years and will leave that decision to them.

otherwiseknownasGrandma Tue 21-Jan-20 10:46:03

I'm leaving my estate to my children, I worry about their futures and want to do what I can to make their lives easier.

hugshelp Tue 21-Jan-20 11:07:20

We have a disabled daughter who will always need care so we will be leaving all we can to her.

hwg3141 Tue 21-Jan-20 11:21:37

I haven't written a will yet, but charity donations are definitely an option. It'll be nice to know that some good will become of my money

Lolamia91 Tue 21-Jan-20 11:22:56

The one who was always there