Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Gransnetters share where they would like to travel in the world and what it is that's stopping them with Staysure

(447 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 27-Jan-20 09:55:22

This sponsored discussion is now closed. Thank you to everyone who posted!

We all have a dream destination that we’d love to travel to - somewhere where you’ve always wanted to go, but never got around to visiting. While some would love to go on Safari in South Africa, others would be happier lounging on the white sand beaches of Greece. Whether you’d like to travel near or far, there can be many barriers to travel. Perhaps you simply don’t have the time to travel, or think that the total cost of the trip might break the bank? Or maybe you have fears about not being able to speak the language, or your health not being protected while abroad? With this in mind, Staysure would love to hear from you.

Here’s what Staysure have to say: “At Staysure, we believe that if something’s worth doing, then it’s worth doing right. That’s why our customers voted us the UK’s Best Travel Insurance Provider in the British Travel Awards.

We all want to be able to enjoy our holiday, knowing that we will be covered should something happen. We do not want to have to worry about possible repercussions and for that reason having good quality travel insurance should be a priority.”

If you could book a ticket right now, where in the world would you like to visit? What are the barriers that are stopping you from going (eg health, finances, mobility, fear of flying)? Is travel insurance important to you when booking a trip? Does travel insurance give you the piece of mind that you’ll be protected when abroad, or do you have some reservations about what will be covered.

So whether you want to take the trip of a lifetime or just a short weekend away, share below what it is that’s stopping you and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one lucky GNer will win a £300 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

Hetty58 Tue 28-Jan-20 08:14:14

I would like to go to New Zealand but I don't travel well. Even short journeys bring on motion sickness and migraine. I'd really miss my pets too, especially the dog, so I don't suppose I'll ever go!

glammanana Tue 28-Jan-20 09:02:10

I would love to revisit Las Vegas,when we where there last for my son's wedding it was so none stop hustle and bustle getting everything sorted for the ceremony and celebrations,I would like to take things nice and slow and visit the Hoover Dam and the Reservation in the Desert places we did not have time to visit.
We have always had good insurance and Staysure has always looked after us well they are our first port of call for insurance.

Callistemon Tue 28-Jan-20 09:26:31

I would like to point out that my post above did not breach guidelines and I asked for it to be deleted as it gave too much personal information.

Why do you sometimes do this GNHQ? and other times say it is 'at poster's request'?

Very unfair.

vintanner Tue 28-Jan-20 10:15:07

We have trouble even getting out of the house due to my husband being disabled and in very poor health.

We got married in a rush due to the above and never got a honeymoon.

Our dream has always been to go to the Grand Canyon and we could have our vows renewed too but sadly I really don't think it will ever happen.

henetha Tue 28-Jan-20 11:16:32

I once spent 2 weeks touring USA in a motorhome.
Now I would love to do that again but extend it to six months.
The wonderful diversity of scenery and friendly people make it my dream holiday. It's top of my bucket list.
And, of course, I would never do it without proper insurance.
What's stopping me is lack of funds and lack of anyone to share this dream with. Although I don't mind ordinary holidays alone, I just can't see myself in Yellowstone, or driving Route 66, without a capable person alongside.

chris8888 Tue 28-Jan-20 11:48:29

I would like to visit Canada, take a train trip though the mountains and visit Jasper National Park. What stops me? money! It would cost more than I could possibly afford. I do however travel every year. Last year I went on a three stop holiday to Switzerland, Lake Como and Madrid. My sister and I chose staysure fo our insurance. We didn`t need it but nice to know it was there.

Pippa22 Tue 28-Jan-20 12:03:27

Scrumptious are you putting obstacles to achieving your dream holiday ? Santorini is not a very long flight nor even a long one and is very easily accessible and as such not expensive to get to, flights are reasonable. Once there accommodation can be easily found and doesn’t need to be expensive. Try to get there, it doesn’t need to be expensive but will be lovely.

TheMaggiejane1 Tue 28-Jan-20 12:06:55

I would like to visit New Zealand but the thought of the price and the long flight puts me off. There is also the problem of getting around when you get there. Neither of us is comfortable driving in unfamiliar places and holiday firms always seem to expect you to get up at the crack of dawn to join any trips they organise. I like to enjoy the night life and a bottle of wine on holiday - not conducive to early starts in the morning! Also the lack of loos in public places always worries me, I seem to spend the whole day searching for them sometimes.

quizqueen Tue 28-Jan-20 13:53:18

I would like to go to Hobbiton in New Zealand where the filming of Lord of the Rings took place. I haven't been on holiday for a few years as my knees were so painful,l if I had to walk far, but had a joint replacement a couple of years ago so I'm a bit better now. I had let my passport run out because of that and swore I would not replace it unless I could get a blue cover one so hoping to apply soon for one after Brexit.

GeminiJen Tue 28-Jan-20 14:56:54

If you could book a ticket right now, where in the world would you like to visit? My dream destination would be Canada. For incredible wildlife, mountains, fine dining and panoramic views, I’d travel on the Rocky Mountaineer from Banff to Vancouver, rounding this part of the trip off with a helicopter ride before embarking on a cruise to Alaska. Next up would be a motorhome trip to explore the Rocky Mountains, including Lake Louise, Banff and Jasper then on to the Okanagan Valley, stopping off at Harrison Hot Springs for a spot of wine tasting in the vineyards. You can tell from the detail that I’d love this dream to be for real grin
What are the barriers that are stopping you from going? Mainly finances, as this is a trip I’d like to share with children and grandchildren
Is travel insurance important to you when booking a trip? Does travel insurance give you the peace of mind that you’ll be protected when abroad, or do you have some reservations about what will be covered? It’s very important, especially as a trip such as this would include activities (e.g. helicopter, kayaking etc.) not typically included in a basic insurance package.

Charleygirl5 Tue 28-Jan-20 15:42:56

I would love to go to Hong Kong, forgetting about my age temporarily, I think I would be uninsurable because of the number of pre-existing conditions I have. The cost of insurance would be prohibitive if I was insurable. My mobility is not great but if I arrived there I would manage.

Because of the distance I would like to travel at the very least by business class and that would be too expensive.

Lydia58 Tue 28-Jan-20 16:55:03

Well my son breaking up with his partner has stopped me from travelling to South Africa. She had a full itinery set up for our 3 week trip.I was so looking forward it I,m hoping they might get back together again smile

Callistemon Tue 28-Jan-20 17:35:41

quizqueen do go if you can, I did wonder about that particular trip but we loved it, more so because we had DGC with us. A very memorable day!

Purpledaffodil Tue 28-Jan-20 17:48:32

I had a letter at Christmas from North Island in New Zealand. Friends we met in 1970 when we were newly weds and they were similar New Zealanders doing Europe and teaching to fund their travels. We correspond intermittently but that Christmas letter inspired me to want to visit them and sit in their garden overlooking Hawkes Bay.
Would love to travel more but we are not the sort who enjoy being organised and I would worry about us driving abroad now, possibly even too old to be rented a car? All of our long haul trips in the past few years have been to visit family.
Would never travel without insurance due to DH’s many preexisting conditions. Thankfully we’ve never needed to use it.

Sararose Tue 28-Jan-20 19:10:13

I would love to visit India but am frightened of becoming ill. When I was in Cairo I was very sick because I was given a drink with contaminated water by my tour guide.

vampirequeen Tue 28-Jan-20 20:39:58

I'd love to go to the Orkneys then on to Shetland for Up Helly Aa. I wish I could be it costs too much money so will always be a pipedream.

Moocow Tue 28-Jan-20 21:08:13

So many places come to mind so it is difficult to think of just one. Ideally I suppose The trip for me would be to just go to the airport/train station and book a seat on the first place that takes my fancy because wherever you go there are hidden gems, wonderful and interesting sights and things to discover if you only have the time. Regarding travel, I never trust that if anything were to go wrong I would be able to get assistance or help easily and quickly but I always try to make sure to purchase the best cover possible. They are always difficult to compare and so much small print is the problem plus no one wants to give you printed clear paperwork anymore.

craftycarol Tue 28-Jan-20 22:18:56

I would love to go to Italy - Tuscany, Rome, Capri - many places in Italy but it can be expensive and our finances just aren't good enough, unfortunately. Obviously, good travel insurance is a must, especially as my husband and I are pensioners. It would be good to do it sooner rather than later! When we win the lottery..........???!!!

KatyK Tue 28-Jan-20 22:31:18

I'm lucky enough to have to some wonderful places that I never in a million years thought I would - Venice several times, New York, the beautiful Amalfi coast, some Greek islands (including Santorini). I would love to go to Alaska to see the whales and other wildlife. What stops me us my husband who says he won't go anywhere cold for his holidays! Yes travel insurance is very important. I don't really worry that certain things won't be covered.

KatyK Tue 28-Jan-20 23:01:07

Also New Orleans and Memphis, Graceland in particular.

Rielly62 Tue 28-Jan-20 23:03:17

I would love to go to Germany on a Rhine cruise, we used to go every year, Boxing Day til New Years eve.
It was our peaceful getaway.
Now due to ill health it is no longer possible, but we have wonderful memories of the times we spent there.

Dee1012 Wed 29-Jan-20 08:48:50

I'd love to visit Borneo...the Orangutan orphanage. I absolutely love animals and for me, this is the dream.
As with most things, it's the cost that's prohibitive, I also support my son who has a severe medical condition.
Insurance..no question it's vital for a trip.

Mitchypop Wed 29-Jan-20 09:46:58

I would travel to Hawaii, I have always wanted to go there and see the waves.

NonnaW Wed 29-Jan-20 12:59:18

A road trip round USA. Canada. Australia. Singapore and Hong Kong. Cruising. What’s stopping us? The cost. Travel insurance would definitely be taken up, but as DH has (controlled) prostate cancer the insurance costs have gone up even for Europe so I dread to think how much long distance travel or cruising would cost us.

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Jan-20 14:09:44

We had a similar thread on GN a few years ago and someone mentioned the Trans-Siberian Express. That's when I first heard of the Golden Eagle luxury train that travels that route and it's been my dream to go on it ever since. The only thing stopping me is funding - if I had that lottery win it'd be the first thing I'd spend on!

We've never travelled without insurance, even if just going to Europe with an EHIC in our luggage. A colleague of mine had to drive out to Poland once to bring her son home in a van when he'd broken his leg and had no insurance - that was enough of a warning for me not to risk anything of the sort. We've found annual travel insurance cost effective if we're planning more than a couple of holidays in a year.