Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your tips for healthy snacking with Soreen - £100 voucher to be won

(286 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 08-Jun-20 09:38:41

With the stress and uncertainty around social isolation and lockdown, more of us than ever before have found ourselves comfort eating. Our latest research shows that 43% of us are snacking more than usual and 30% are struggling to eat a healthy diet. It’s all too easy to reach for a biscuit, and then another, then another. And suddenly the packet is gone. With that in mind, Soreen would like to hear your tips for healthy snacking, whether that’s ensuring guilt-free portion sizes or resisting the call of the biscuit tin.

Here’s what Soreen has to say: “Soreen, British baker of the Original Malt Loaf, has been enjoyed as a teatime treat in homes for over 80 years. Whilst many of us know that a slice of deliciously squidgy Soreen is perfect with a cuppa, it’s less well known that Soreen is a much healthier option than other sweet treats.

Our Malt Loaf contains over 40% less sugar and 80% less fat than the average cake. Plus if you’re looking for a tasty portion controlled snack, our individually wrapped Lunchbox Loaves are less than 100 calories each and our Sliced Loaf is just 65 calories per slice.

We know that for many of you the only way to eat Soreen is with butter! Well you’ll be pleased to hear that two buttered slices of malt loaf come in at just 150 calories and contain 40% less sugar and 50% less fat than the average slice of cake.

So you can still enjoy Soreen as a healthier swap without compromising on taste!”

Do you find portion controlled snacks help you control your snacking? How do you prevent the temptation of yet another biscuit? Do you find yourself wanting a snack when you know you’re definitely not hungry? How do you manage it?

Whatever your tips for healthy snacking, share them with Soreen in the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £100 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

lemsip Wed 10-Jun-20 12:48:03

a very naughty bar of cadburys fruit and nut!

juliedee Wed 10-Jun-20 14:22:33

I make sure I have plenty of nuts or fruit around to have instead of biccies and cakes

muffin Wed 10-Jun-20 14:33:37

I try to have a small banana as a snack or just one square of chocolate

hulahoop Wed 10-Jun-20 14:44:55

We both like Doreen malt loaf and our grandson who doesn't eat bread loves it with butter on .

pegros Wed 10-Jun-20 14:49:01

Just a couple of spoonfuls of vanilla yoghurt from a bit pot does the trick when I have the munchies, sometimes with a teaspoon of blueberry jam, or sometimes with a ginger biscuit! But Soreen and butter is definitely going on the next shopping list!

franguyler Wed 10-Jun-20 14:53:59

I get some chickpeas, either soaked in water overnight already or straight from the tin, turn the oven on to around 200c, spray a baking tray with a very light coating of oil or low calorie spray, then chuck the chickpeas onto it, and add any spices you fancy. Roast them until they look crispy, allow to cool, and there you have a healthy, delicious snack

Kittyme1 Wed 10-Jun-20 14:58:10

I usually have a small bowl of homemade hummus and chopped up vegetables in the fridge to snack on. When I feel like something sweet I treat myself to a mashed up a banana on a slice of Soreen with a honey and chopped nuts topping.

gran1 Wed 10-Jun-20 16:41:31

Soreen spread with low fat cheese and topped with halved seedless grapes is my all time favourite snack at anytime of the day

Nortsat Wed 10-Jun-20 17:28:34

Soreen with a little butter and sliced banana. It’s really tasty and sustaining.

Andrea1 Wed 10-Jun-20 17:35:34

I do not snack often but if I do it is mostly on fruit and occasionally a biscuit.

startrek32 Wed 10-Jun-20 18:56:24

I try not to snack but when I crave something a little sweeter,I always go the fruit bowl.

peartsue Wed 10-Jun-20 21:38:57

I have a sweet tooth and have to be strict with myself to stop snacking. I do love a slice of Soreen with a cup of tea, also find that a handful of pistachio nuts keep my temptation at bay.

jools66 Wed 10-Jun-20 21:47:17

I try to snack on fresh fruit or yoghurt, however, I have a very sweet tooth so I'm often led astray by my naturally slim husband, I do my best to limit myself to one biscuit or a small piece of cake, I do find single sized portions helpful in keeping my servings under control.

fishnships Wed 10-Jun-20 22:34:16

Crunchy peanut butter spread on one or two Ryvita crackers with slices of banana on top. It's my healthy version of banoffee pie. I do like Soreen with butter and honey though...

Betterlife1 Thu 11-Jun-20 00:24:56

I try to have loads of fruit in the house for snacks.

Mags17 Thu 11-Jun-20 09:17:04

We like a cake treat but I always either buy or bake cakes with less sugar in. We always have Soreen in the pantry. We especially like their Banana Loaf.

marpau Thu 11-Jun-20 09:23:28

I like to snack on fruit and occasionally slice banana o a slice of soreen

baggiebird Thu 11-Jun-20 09:29:37

I like soreen malt loaf with butter and agree that pre portioned snacks are better for me anyway.I also like having a small bowl of seedless grapes but for my break at work I discovered skinny whips which are very tasty and filling and only 99 calories but they fill you up I can only find them at shops like B and M and Home Bargains and they now come in a new mint flavour like eating an after eight but more filling.

mbody Thu 11-Jun-20 09:43:35

Grapes, grapes and more grapes!!!!

freesia Thu 11-Jun-20 10:20:43

I try to keep snacks healthy - mixed nuts or fruit are my most frequent treats. However, I do love malt loaf, as does my 18 month old granddaughter! So we share some together when she's visiting!

Flossieflyby Thu 11-Jun-20 10:24:23

Fruit during the day, but I do like something sweet with evening hot drink. Have a simple fruitcake recipe I use

Harris27 Thu 11-Jun-20 10:25:54

I bake a fruit loaf once a week and have that with my afternoon cuppa anything with fruit in my husband loves and so do I. I take rich tea biscuits to work when I’m there just to stave the hunger off.

glammanana Thu 11-Jun-20 10:58:34

Harris27 my mum used to make a cake all mixed together in a pan it was delicious,when my brother took school meals he had had Soreen in his lunch box thick with buyer he loves it to this day,he would certainly do his waistline good with the less sugar recipe but once opened it is hard to put down when snacking just yummy.

lexigran Thu 11-Jun-20 11:09:42

We've been trying not to eat any more than usual and don't normally snack between meals but often get peckish in the evening. Our favourite naughty snack is crunchy nut cornflakes with ready to serve custard!

JessK Thu 11-Jun-20 11:13:39

Dried fruit and nuts are my standby. Mind you I sometimes eat too many!