Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your tips for managing joint pain throughout the winter months - £200 voucher to be won

(253 Posts)
GraceGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-Jan-21 11:49:46

This activity is now closed

Whether you walk every day, you’re a keen cyclist, or passionate about running, we all know how important it is to get outside in the open air, especially during lockdown. But if you suffer from joint pain it can be hard to motivate yourself to stay active. With this in mind, ]] would like to hear your tips for managing joint pain, particularly during winter.

Here’s what ]] has to say:

"GOPO® Joint Health is committed to helping the Nation feel limber at any age, and encourages a healthy and active lifestyle all year round. GOPO® Joint Health is a health food supplement range that contains 100% specially cultivated natural rosehip with a high level of the galactolipid compound known as GOPO®. It is rich in Vitamin C which contributes to the formation of collagen for the normal function of cartilage, the protective and connective component of joints. The newest addition to the range is GOPO® Joint Health Plus Ginger, which is the first UK supplement that combines active GOPO®-containing rosehip - which may play a valuable role in the care of joints and joint tissues - with extracts of the plant-based nutraceutical, Ginger, loaded with nutrients and bioactive compounds that may help support good joint health and muscle function. Seize the day with GOPO® Joint Health, and don’t let the cold weather hold you back from embracing the freedom of movement."

Are you prone to experiencing painful joints in the colder months? Perhaps you have a go-to exercise routine that helps you with your aches and pains? Do you swear by a particular vitamin or supplement? Or maybe you have a secret remedy that keeps you out and about?

Whatever they may be, we’d love to hear your secrets to managing a winter joint pain flare up.

All who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky GNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

T&Cs apply GNHQ

red1rose Thu 04-Feb-21 12:22:37

Each morning before i start the day, i have a teaspoon on Apple cider vinegar mixed with a teaspoon of Manuka Honey into a cup of hot water....what a difference this has made to my aching joints

Aka77 Thu 04-Feb-21 12:33:55

Hot wheat bag to warm up the problem areas before doing stretching exercises.

TracyJ14 Thu 04-Feb-21 12:36:22

I get bad back pain and take paracetamol and occasionally ibuprofen to make it bearable. I also use a 'freeze' gel roll-on to deaden the area. I have enjoyed reading all the comments and will be trying some of the remedies. Thank you!

Stells Thu 04-Feb-21 12:38:51

I religiously take a high strength cod liver oil tablet 1000mg capsule and have a 1/2 hour walk if possible a day, it the pain gets to unbearable which it doesn't since I have started this I put a tens machine it on to the area it hurts the most usually the knee in my case works a treat, some heat pads are good too

littleowl Thu 04-Feb-21 14:18:05

After a daily warm bath I have a few minutes routine of stretching and flexibility exercises. I think the regularity of it helps. Over time, I feel a lot better.

juliedee Thu 04-Feb-21 14:27:03

luckily don't suffer too much with joint pain, but got a niggly knee which I just make sure I don't push it too much, light exercise but don't over do it!

pb52 Thu 04-Feb-21 14:55:11

Having been a sportman and keen walker all my life, my knees and back are starting to pay me back. I find that keeping active with a daily walk and stretching exercises on my return keeps the worst excesses at bay. It is good for mental health too in these most stressful of times.
I am lucky enough to live quite close to the Yorkshire Dales and moors so when C19 allows, I shall be back out there in the wilds once more.

sheebasima Thu 04-Feb-21 14:56:36

Swimming is a fantastic therapy for joint ant muscular problems.

ANITAJ Thu 04-Feb-21 16:02:06

I like to do a little bit of yoga & try to steer clear of much in the way of drugs. Preferring holistic therapies. It is not always successful & sometimes I do have to use analgesics, but things like a hot water bottle & massaging the painful joints often helps. I do some walking, but I have to know my limitations, as excessive exercise can just exacerbate things!

gran1 Thu 04-Feb-21 16:31:14

A generous present of 2 pairs of knee length cashmere socks really seem to help ankle stiffness.

Andrea1 Thu 04-Feb-21 17:49:38

I try to go for lots of walks and keep moving and not sit for too long.

Marian1412 Thu 04-Feb-21 19:34:29

Daily all over stretching and core strength exercise.
I take an Omega 3 supplement and magnesium supplement.
Swimming Aqua Tone and Pilates classes out of lockdown.

GeminiJen Thu 04-Feb-21 20:27:31

Another fan of Cider Vinegar here. Two teaspoons in a glass of water when I get up in the morning. I also drink a mug of hot water later in the day, with a mixture of freshly squeezed lemon juice and grated ginger. That and keeping moving. Ten minutes of gentle stretches first thing and regular walks outdoors. Also Pilates, cycling, swimming, gardening.....

Harris27 Thu 04-Feb-21 20:30:12

I take magnesium but after reading some of your above comments might try turmeric.

fishnships Thu 04-Feb-21 22:04:02

Gel and heat and cold sprays topically applied, epsom salt baths each night and a heated massage mat on the sofa. Also some form of exercise each day most days if I can. It all helps.

Anj123 Thu 04-Feb-21 22:47:47

I take cod liver oil capsules every day and when I go for a walk I wear trainers with medium support in the soles. My knees and hips used to hurt until my GP referred me to a podiatrist who gave me special insoles for wearing in shoes when I’m not wearing trainers. They literally transformed my life!!

suzybean Thu 04-Feb-21 22:53:48

I have lumbar lordosis with a flat back so I suffer from low back ache (as it doesn't bear weight efficiently) I have found that sitting at t desk all day has added complications, in the form of a stiff neck and a dull ache down between the shoulder blades. Lock down and wfh has given me the chance to try yoga (which I'd never done before) and it has improved everything: posture, strength, balance and stiffness. I've combined this with an hours walk a day and I've found that I feel so much better. I would say eat a balanced diet and do yoga or stretching, not once or twice a week but daily. A nutritionist told me that vitamins are not a good idea, apart from some omega 3,6 and 9, so if you feel that you want to take vitamins then just take those, good for the eyes, joints and the brain.

Granny23 Thu 04-Feb-21 23:18:48

I used to love a long soak in a hot bath, but now that I live alone and having got stuck in the bath once when I had a broken arm, I only use the shower now. I do find that turning the shower head to a narrow spread and applying that to a sore area for a few minutes, helps to relieve aches and pains.

pamelaJEAN Fri 05-Feb-21 00:30:33

Warm baths, stretching and walking, I take vitamin tablets, but not sure if they work or not, so won’t stop taking them just in case they do help. I also use anti inflammatory cream. Still the aches continue .

wendybiv Fri 05-Feb-21 00:38:10

Turmeric added to almost everything savoury and lots if pineapple. Walking and relaxation. Essential oils and steam showers. All of the above help too.

harlina Fri 05-Feb-21 04:13:29

I recently bought a wheat bag helps a little on my painful knee
But the tiger balm is very good it doesn’t take away the pain completely but eases it

tweedle1 Fri 05-Feb-21 09:12:07

I keep active to take my mind off the pain, such as daily household chores. Also gardening keeps a good mental attitude.

Charleygirl5 Fri 05-Feb-21 12:00:15

During Covid, I find I am sitting down too much. I cannot walk far at the best of times having had bil.TKRs and also a pinned and plated ankle. My home is adjusted for me- bath out, shower in, chairs not too low or soft, apply heat in bed using a hot water bottle. I never take drugs for pain- I try distraction therapy instead.

Lorraine1602 Fri 05-Feb-21 13:58:28

A nice holiday in the warmth. One day, maybe soon . . .

AliBeeee Fri 05-Feb-21 15:48:34

Turmeric capsules for my arthritic wrists.