Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your tips for managing joint pain throughout the winter months - £200 voucher to be won

(253 Posts)
GraceGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-Jan-21 11:49:46

This activity is now closed

Whether you walk every day, you’re a keen cyclist, or passionate about running, we all know how important it is to get outside in the open air, especially during lockdown. But if you suffer from joint pain it can be hard to motivate yourself to stay active. With this in mind, ]] would like to hear your tips for managing joint pain, particularly during winter.

Here’s what ]] has to say:

"GOPO® Joint Health is committed to helping the Nation feel limber at any age, and encourages a healthy and active lifestyle all year round. GOPO® Joint Health is a health food supplement range that contains 100% specially cultivated natural rosehip with a high level of the galactolipid compound known as GOPO®. It is rich in Vitamin C which contributes to the formation of collagen for the normal function of cartilage, the protective and connective component of joints. The newest addition to the range is GOPO® Joint Health Plus Ginger, which is the first UK supplement that combines active GOPO®-containing rosehip - which may play a valuable role in the care of joints and joint tissues - with extracts of the plant-based nutraceutical, Ginger, loaded with nutrients and bioactive compounds that may help support good joint health and muscle function. Seize the day with GOPO® Joint Health, and don’t let the cold weather hold you back from embracing the freedom of movement."

Are you prone to experiencing painful joints in the colder months? Perhaps you have a go-to exercise routine that helps you with your aches and pains? Do you swear by a particular vitamin or supplement? Or maybe you have a secret remedy that keeps you out and about?

Whatever they may be, we’d love to hear your secrets to managing a winter joint pain flare up.

All who post on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky GNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

T&Cs apply GNHQ

sandracl Fri 05-Feb-21 16:24:43

My hip joints have been playing up for quite a while and even lying in bed they would start to ache. Amazingly this £7.99 cushion from Amazon has worked wonders. I just place it between my knees when I go to bed and it's not too big so it does not take up much room. Within a few days I didn't experience any more pain in bed and during the day my aches and pains have vastly improved. It also helps to stop my legs getting too hot too. I'd certainly recommend it. www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FDWQ7JZ?tag=gransnetforum-21

dragonfly63 Fri 05-Feb-21 17:09:18

Warm baths, join pain medication and stretching exercises help. Knee pillows are great and keeping active seems to help.

volcanopete Fri 05-Feb-21 17:26:32

I find CBD very helpful in managing my pain.

shirleyhick Fri 05-Feb-21 17:42:24

I do a lot of dog walking and I find that helps my back ache and I also try not to sit down for long periods of time also a hot water bottle helps.

Jilly1967 Fri 05-Feb-21 18:01:51

Yoga is a great option but start before you have problems with your joints to help prevent issues

Grannygold Fri 05-Feb-21 18:07:57

I find that restricting the amount of potatoes I eat means that I have fewer symptoms. Potatoes are from the nightshade family - plants from this family are thought to make arthritis worse.

Molly10 Fri 05-Feb-21 18:21:04

I think easing yourself gently in to the day is very important. Make sure to have a variety of fresh healthy foods of colour to get all the vitamins or minerals possible during the day. Everyone is different and have varying degrees of pain but I have to say I do use GOPO and it is marvellous and I wouldn't be without it. I also take Q10 but I suspect this helps in other ways. Being able to exercise regularly eg going for walks is good for physical and mental health. We certainly need the best of both at present.

albertina Fri 05-Feb-21 19:08:09

I had a really bad fall while playing badminton. I underwent chiropractic treatment for the next three months. When I wasn't getting better an x ray was taken and I was found to have a badly smashed vertebra.

My way of dealing with the pain that followed was to walk, walk and walk some more. Aided by heat pads, ice packs and painkillers I walked for at least an hour a day, sometimes more.

I got a dog two years ago and he gave my walks more purpose again. It's great to have such a lovely companion.

Running a hot shower on my back at the start of the day helps, dressing warmly in cold weather ( I have just moved 400 miles north ! )

gmarie Fri 05-Feb-21 20:49:14

Anything warm! I have tight, fingerless gloves that help my wrists and fingers. I also do dishes by hand in warm water and hold on to my hot coffee and tea cups. For my knees and hips, I have fleece blankets, long cotton socks, heavy skinny stretch pants, and, of course, my cat and dog who love to cuddle up against my sore hip or lay across my knees!

kevincharley Fri 05-Feb-21 21:57:17

I have arthritis in my spine and I'm currently recovering from a nasty dose of covid19 so I'm somewhat hampered in my efforts to stay mobile. At any other time I would be walking my dogs as much as possible as I find it's essential to stay mobile, to keep the supporting muscles supple. I view the bones as bricks and the supporting muscle as the mortar - a wall's no use if the mortar is poor.
At present I simply can't do this and have just ordered a treadmill so I can rebuild my muscle tone and monitor my recovery.
To anyone worried about the dogs, they're being walked most days by my husband.

Lisapaige24 Fri 05-Feb-21 22:43:38

Turmeric with BioPerine Along with Pilates helps immensely with my arthritis

dahville Fri 05-Feb-21 23:59:03

I have arthritis in my hands, hips, knees, ankles, and feet! I have had to come up with management strategies. For my hands it is using a stress ball several times a day to keep mobility, I do this even during flare ups, just more gently.

For the lower extremities I don’t sit for longer than an hour, even if it just to walk around my apartment for 5 minutes, staying mobile throughout the whole day really helps.

I also do a gentle yoga 4 days a week. Maintaining flexibility means less pain for me.

fourormore Sat 06-Feb-21 10:28:55

During the Covid restrictions we have had to shield so my proper exercise of decent walking and swimming have been impossible. I discovered early on that the old knees especially, were beginning to stiffen up a bit.

As others have said I make sure that I don't 'sit' for any long length of time but move around regularly. I also have my list of 'Use it or lose it' exercises, each for a few minutes twice a day.

I have also been taking a 'One-a-day' Cod Liver Oil capsule to keep the joints oiled and have had no problems.

jocork Sat 06-Feb-21 10:53:06

I drink a small shot of aloe vera gel each day. A friend became a distributer for the company and recommended it. I tried it and was a bit sceptical as it was quite expensive, but about 15 years down the line I have few problems with my joints. One year I went camping and didn't take the gel as I didn't want to take up space in my coolbox. By the end of the week the pain was returning! I became a distributer myself but I don't sell to others, I just get my own supplies more cheaply and don't have to order through my friend who now lives 50miles away.
As a result of the lack of pain now in my knees I've become more active, have lost a lot of weight and no longer think twice about climbing stairs. If you want to try it I'm sure there will be a distributer near you. I'm not sure if I can give the company name on here but PM me if you can't find online.

Clairefontaine Sat 06-Feb-21 11:01:16

This issue is topical for me as I have been suffering from acute knee pain since before Christmas despite being reasonably slim, active and doing Pilates about 4 times a week. I am grateful for the above suggestions and will certainly try them, particularly turmeric and black pepper. I agree that movement and heat help.

fullarton121 Sat 06-Feb-21 11:30:13

I've lived my lived my life while having Cod Liver oil tablets and think it's made a real difference with my joints.

henetha Sat 06-Feb-21 11:33:53

I have an arthritic spine which drives me mad. I do take pain killers, but as little as possible. After a busy morning of housework or gardening I do find that lying flat for an hour helps me get through the rest of the day.

starlily106 Sat 06-Feb-21 11:45:24

Turmeric works for me. I haven't had to take any painkillers for months. Took about 3 days before I noticed any pain relief, now I only get twinges if I walk too far, and i still dont need to take a painkiller. I'm 83, have arthritis in my back, elbows, hands and knees, have had both knees replaced, both of them were done over ten years ago, and they were showing signs that they needed to be done again, then my right hip was starting to be painful.i was having great difficulty getting in and out of the bath, and decided to try turmeric after I had to get my son to help me get out. Have no problems now.

Cs783 Sat 06-Feb-21 13:02:23

Yes Maggie Maybe isn’t Schellea of Fabulous Fifties on YouTube helpful! Had cause to try her exercises for relieving tense neck muscles and they worked a treat. Plus I love how often she tells me I’m amazing grin

Maggiemaybe Sat 06-Feb-21 14:24:09

Oh, Cs783, does she tell you that as well? I thought Schellea and I were special friends. wink

Libby01 Sat 06-Feb-21 14:26:06

I use both heat and cold and try not to let the joints stay still for too long. Acupuncture can also work

kathcake Sat 06-Feb-21 15:17:44

Turmeric does wonders

Lorelei Sat 06-Feb-21 18:21:08

I'm not sure I'd describe it as 'managing' joint pain as it never really goes away! I do try and ease pain as much as I can but it's a bit of a losing battle. I try to keep warm as the colder it gets, the more it hurts - warm clothing, layers if needed + thick duvet on the bed and an electric blanket and/or hot water bottle on really cold nights. I try to include things in my diet like oily fish but admit I don't eat anywhere near as much of it as I probably should because I don't really like it! I do have pain medication but even the MST (morphine) only takes the edge of it - I'm reluctant to increase the dose as it is always a case of weighing up the benefits of pain relief with side-effects of the drug and not wanting to spend most of the day asleep or 'zombiefied'. I do eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. I use essential oils in the bath, oil burners and, when I can be bothered, to massage into my joints and muscles (or at least the places where muscles should be - vanishing as I get older). I've found Emu Oil rubbed in helps a little. In the past I've taken supplements like cod liver oil, evening primrose oil and starflower oil, but don't use anything regularly now. My partner has just got some cod liver oils as he's getting joint pain so maybe I'll try it again - he did get green lipped mussel supplements before and said they did ease the pain enough for him to be able to work but I didn't try them. I also have to be careful as some of the supplements have lactose as an ingredient and I'm lactose-intolerant. I've read a few articles and note people commenting here about the benefits of turmeric and have been thinking of trying to include more of this in our diet - if I fail in that approach I might consider supplements. I often think joint pain is one of those horrible things we learn to live with and sort of accept it will get worse as we get older - it would be nice not to have any pain though.

deefletch Sat 06-Feb-21 20:30:29

I find that two turmeric help my aches and pains and started working very quickly. Worth a go!

Char123 Sat 06-Feb-21 23:19:50

daily walks and stretching