Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Are you thinking of helping a family member buy their first home or have you already helped them? Share your experience - £200 voucher to be won.

(88 Posts)
LibbyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 09-Aug-21 14:35:06

This discussion is now closed

This discussion is sponsored by Santander.

Santander’s first time buyer research (undertaken in 2021) found that over a third of first time buyers are hoping to buy their home with financial help from family or friends in the next five years. But taking the step to help a loved one get onto the property ladder is a big commitment for you and them.

Here’s what Santander have to say: “When a loved one is thinking about buying their first home family are often the first ones they turn to for support, with parents and grandparents playing an increasingly critical role. But it can be tricky knowing where to start. So, our Step up: Helping family to buy information pages on santander.co.uk contain a wealth of information to help you get started.”

How are you thinking of helping, or how have you helped already? What were your reasons for helping? And do you have any concerns or worries about your own future plans? Perhaps you had to have some difficult conversations with your family? Or perhaps the conversations were really easy? If you’ve already helped, is there anything you wish you’d known beforehand?

Share your experiences on this thread and you will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky GNer will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

GNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

stoolballgirl Mon 16-Aug-21 12:05:55

I gave my daughter £10K towards her first home. It was given as an interest free loan but I'm sure I won't ask for it back. She is an only child and I'm a single mum. She had saved around £27K herself so has worked hard. She needed it now, not when I'm gone and I'm proud to be able to help her.

M0nica Mon 16-Aug-21 19:23:31

There is no law that limits how much you can give your children to £3,000 a year, in fact you can give them £millions if you want to. The £3,000 refers to the sum you can give that will not be taken into account for Inheritance tax, should you die within 7 years.

jollo Tue 17-Aug-21 08:52:41

Yes, gave money both my daughters with the deposits for first house. Money was needed for second move due to unexpected circumstances and money was a loan, almost paid of now

gran1 Tue 17-Aug-21 14:38:28

I am going to give my daughter a flat sometime later this year and I am very happy doing this.
I have talked talked to friends about their experiences and problems seem to have arisen when there has been an informal loan and repayment has not been sorted out and understood at the very start of the arrangement.

M0nica Wed 18-Aug-21 07:37:34

The R4 programme 'You and Yours' devoted its call in programme yesterday to money loans between friends and family.

The key point that came out of it was, that for a loan to work and their to be minimum of recriminatons, the details of the loan, repayment schedule etc etc should all be written down and signed. It doesn't need a solicitor or anything like that, but the amount of the loan and repayment terms and schedule etc etc, need to be agreed, each memeber of the transaction should have a copy and all should sign all copies, plus, of course, being realistic about whether the borrower can manage the repayment schedule. Better to just give the money, than have constant rows about a repayment schedule that is unrealistic.

wendybiv Wed 18-Aug-21 14:16:10

I am currently wanting to help my son to buy his first house with his girlfriend. Even with a good deposit there are hefty repayments over longer years!

swifty999 Wed 18-Aug-21 15:48:44

In all honesty, I don't think it has to be just financial help that's important. With my children, each has been gifted money towards their wedding and when my son decided to retrain as an electrician, we bought him a van to help out.
More recently he's moved and we've given as much time as we can helping him with the move, donated furniture and helped decorate the house.
Money's great but some have more than others and time with, is I feel a gift that's never forgotten.

M0nica Wed 18-Aug-21 18:52:19

swifty999 I so agree, both our children were able to buy 'project' flats first time round because we had the skills and expertise to give major help with renovation.

STEVE850988 Wed 18-Aug-21 22:59:06

We have had to help my daughter since she split with her partner and had to rent a house for herself and our 3 granddaughters, thankfully they live local to use so we also get to see them several times a week.

Shelleyd Fri 20-Aug-21 16:25:22

Yes we’ve helped our daughter. We bought her a house. So she would have a roof over her head & not have to worry about paying a mortgage if she lost her job.

Maria59 Fri 20-Aug-21 16:26:01

We gave my son £50000 to buy his first home part as deposit and the rest to renovate the property. More use to him at that time than when we are not here.

smith106 Fri 20-Aug-21 16:37:20

Yes me and my husband have helped both of our daughter's by giving them them some money towards a mortgage, we haven't given them as much as we would like but enough to make a difference.

Nonnie Fri 20-Aug-21 16:50:10

We have helped all of ours. They are now well established and, only last week, one of them refused to let me pay for something I had asked him to buy because we can given him such a good start in helping him to buy a house

Morgie52 Fri 20-Aug-21 16:55:52

We have gifted all three of our children a substantial amount of money towards their first house purchases otherwise they would still be saving to get on the property ladder.

Hellsbelles Fri 20-Aug-21 16:58:07

Set up a savings a/c for my daughter . She chose not to go to uni . When she was still living at home and paying keep , put that into the savings as well. When she wanted to buy her own home , she had a good deposit from the savings.

Polly4t42 Fri 20-Aug-21 17:09:01

Yes we helped our son by providing deposit on their first house. They had been saving for their wedding and renting a small town house, which they had been told was an investment for the owners retirement, then 3 mths before the wedding the owner decided he was moving abroad and wanted to sell and would offer them first refusal. They tried to look for other properties to rent in their price range but couldn’t find anything. My husband was retiring in 6 mths and would get a lump sum so we took out a short loan and gave them the deposit.

heatherjw Fri 20-Aug-21 18:14:18

I helped both my children to buy homes in 2018. I was lucky to be loaned £1000 by my dad back in the 1970s which enabled me to get on the property ladder. My dad was working abroad for a couple of years and I was able to repay the loan plus interest on his return. I have also inherited money from grandparents which helped my move to a bigger property.
I have therefore felt it only right that if I was in a position to do so, I would help my children withe their respective house purchases. It is lovely to be able to see them benefit from the money now rather than after my death.
It will also reduce any inheritance tax due and reduce any liability I might have to contribute to care costs in the future.
But, I am very aware that I am fortunate to be able to help them will little impact on ky own day to day finances

Grannyjacq1 Fri 20-Aug-21 19:30:02

We helped both our children to buy houses, giving them the option of money towards a wedding or a house - and both chose the latter. We were also lucky enough to be in a financial position to help them take a step further up the property ladder a few years later when their families started to grow. We started off our married life with nothing, and have built up our financial reserves through sheer hard work and not wasting money; we feel as if we would rather give money to our children than to the taxman - and while we are alive to see them take advantage of it, rather than after we've gone! One problem linked to this issue (which friends have experienced) is when you help your child to buy a house with a partner, and the relationship ends. That can cause huge problems - so it's best to have a proper legal contract to secure any money you have invested in your child's property and prevent a financially and emotionally unpleasant potential situation later.

Albangirl14 Fri 20-Aug-21 19:33:55

Yes we have helped all 3 of our children with house purchase. For a long time I thought they should all have the same but during Covid my daughter needed major help to get her out of a flat with no garden into a house with a garden. My other two children raised no objection and were happy for her and her family.

Nana49 Fri 20-Aug-21 21:27:18

We are very committed to helping our daughter (20) and grandchildren from another child in the future and have already started plans to do this. We are in the process of purchasing a small 2nd holiday property by remortgaging part of the house we live in, we are hoping that the equity will grow in our 2nd property and by the time our daughter is ready to purchase her own we will then be able to sell it & have a nice contribution to our daughters deposit.

Glambert Fri 20-Aug-21 21:56:13

We have offered a modest amount to help our DS and DDIL to get onto the property ladder. The amount is modest so that we can help our younger two DC when it is their turn.

Seakay Fri 20-Aug-21 23:35:14

I don't have children or grandchildren, and rent myself because I can't afford to buy and maintain a property

libra10 Sat 21-Aug-21 09:13:13

We helped our daughter with a deposit when she was buying her first home with her partner. It helped them considerably as they would have struggled without help.

Our son still lives with us and has a full-time job, but his salary isn't enough to pay a deposit on a home. We have offered to give him the deposit, but at present (as a single person), he hasn't found anything suitable.

As we have always been savers and have enough money for our own needs, we didn't have any real concerns about helping our children. We just wanted to make it as easy as possible for them to get on the housing ladder.

Dseazell Sat 21-Aug-21 10:21:22

Yes, I helped both of my daughters with a combination of loans and gifts. As I can afford I shall write off the loans. They do not know this as I think it’s important for them to not expect money to be handed to them on a plate

Witzend Sat 21-Aug-21 10:35:03

We have helped both dds with outright gifts, and feel very fortunate to have been able to do so.

Dd1 and her future dh actually refused help when buying their first house, which I admired in them. However some 3 years and a baby later, they wanted a somewhat nicer area with a better primary school catchment.

In the meantime prices had shot up, so while they made a profit on their house, the differential been theirs and ‘a bit bigger and nicer’ had widened quite a lot, so they were very grateful for the help we could offer.