Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Have you retired or left the workforce early or are you considering it? We’d like to hear about your experience

(43 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 09-Sep-22 17:01:53

Data shows that more people are leaving the workforce before state retirement age and economic inactivity has risen by over 500k - mostly in the over 50s - since the start of the pandemic (ONS). This will be for various reasons, including early retirement and we’d like to hear more about the experiences of those who have left or are considering leaving the workforce.

What are your reasons for leaving or considering leaving the workforce? How are you or would you plan to fund your lifestyle before reaching state pension age? If you’ve left, is there anything that would encourage you to return to work? Do you have any concerns about not working?

If you have experiences to share, please post on the thread below. We’ll be using responses to guide additional research on the topic.

GNHQ EDIT: Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. If you'd like to take part in our survey on this topic, you can find it here. thanks

Thanks,
GNHQ

mrsbirdy Fri 09-Sep-22 18:31:09

I have taken flexible retirement twice now instead of giving up work fully. I did not feel ready or able to stop. I currently work two days and another day will be commuting to childcare my granddaughter. It has been a difficult decision with many worries. There is virtually no support only advice on finances which is very important but there is so much more.

SuzieT Fri 09-Sep-22 18:35:49

Took the opportunity of redundancy at age 54 (and also being paid a very reduced occupational pension).
I was well into the menopause at that point and exhausted trying to cope with a demanding job (with a lot of travel) and the side effects of lack of sleep and brain fog.
After a year, I realised it was too soon to not work at all and volunteered at a children's charity, where I am now chair of the local area.
I hate not 'earning' my monthly pension and constantly worry about money, even though I manage well financially.
I miss working but am now relied on to carry out childcare for my Grandchildren, which I love.

Hetty58 Fri 09-Sep-22 18:37:15

I gradually reduced the hours I worked (term time only anyway) and stopped completely in my mid fifties. Teaching is a younger person's job, really, and I didn't want to get completely worn down by it. I'd seen others get so stressed and ill - and old before their time.

Hellsbelles Fri 09-Sep-22 18:42:29

We moved about 10 years ago. It would be too far for me to continue my job so technically I retired then.
Once settled in the new area , I then volunteered for my local hospice for at least once a week for a further 4 years.
My husband continued to work but a disability made him also give up work and I am now his carer.

womblekelly Fri 09-Sep-22 18:47:00

Stopped working for money when I was 64 now workng for free in a couple of voluntary roles but taki g small private pension

Harris27 Fri 09-Sep-22 18:51:11

No but I wish I could. Still working full time in childcare and very tired. Need my state pension as I only contributed into a private pension late. Wish I could work three days would be bliss and I might live longer.

kjmpde Fri 09-Sep-22 18:54:59

there is nearly 10 years difference in age between my husband and me. He retired at 60 . I would have continued to 60 but my husband wanted me to retire early and then we both decided that we would like to move house. I retired at 54 (albeit it took another 4 years to sell the house). My private pension is small ( below the income tax level) and it is another 16 months till I get the state pension. No pressure or unpaid overtime. No boring work meetings .
I thought about another part time job but that never materialised. I can't see me working again , despite the rise in the cost of living .

nabob Fri 09-Sep-22 20:20:55

I "retired" from work when I was 55. My husband was aged 63. We decided to leave a job that we had both tolerated together and live off our savings until my husband got his OAP pension. We are comfortable on his OAP and private pension. I will not receive my OAP pension for another 5.6 years!

Jaylou Fri 09-Sep-22 20:33:19

I retired from full time work aged 60, (very bullish/bullying management). I relocated and it felt like a breath of fresh air. I have taken a little part-time job for some pin money and to meet people. I am holding off taking my full personal pensions for a few years, or until the savings get too low.

kjmpde Fri 09-Sep-22 21:06:52

I forgot to add that I've bought some years NI contributions to try and cover the shortfall so my state pension will be improved.

Teebles64 Fri 09-Sep-22 21:46:01

I retired from nursing ( senior position in private sector) this year aged 57. Stressful job, 24/7 commitment.DH 12 years older and already retired. Wanted opportunity to travel together whilst young and fit.
Will consider part time short contract work over the gloomy winter months but so far no regrets. Funding retirement from pension drawdown and will access NHS pension at 60 and state pension at 66.

Juno56 Fri 09-Sep-22 23:03:11

I was made redundant from my position when I was 56. I couldn't find another job at my previous level and to be honest didn't want another stressful full time job. My husband had already retired early so we downsized and moved to a cheaper area. I got a low paid but undemanding and quite enjoyable part time job in a supermarket and stayed for several years. I decided to 'retire' early because of Covid as I just didn't feel safe in that environment. With our private pensions and income from investments we were able to live quite comfortably and my SP came into payment this year.

nanna8 Sat 10-Sep-22 01:05:54

I loved it from the first day! I am a bit of a ‘joiner’ so I joined several social and educational groups following my interests ( rather than work’s interests). At first I would have lots of morning coffees and lunches with ex work mates but gradually I found a new set of friends so now us exes only meet every few months. It was lovely to be able to holiday when others were working or at school and it also gave us the chance to grab those special deals where you have to travel at the drop of a hat! I totally recommend it.

GagaJo Sat 10-Sep-22 07:37:41

Due to the pandemic, I've left full-time teaching and become a self-employed online tutor instead. It's a huge step down, work wise, and I do consider myself partially retired although I get no pension for another 10 years.

To be honest, I don't think I'll ever want to give up all work. It gives my life purpose.

argymargy Sat 10-Sep-22 07:48:36

I retired age 57 at the end of last year, after my employer refused to let me work part time. I was burnt out after several difficult years including lockdown, which for me meant working more hours (from home) than ever before.
I have no regular income but am trying to do a bit of ad hoc work and living off savings (I am single). I’m downsizing to make the next few years affordable until I can take pensions. I’m also looking after grandchildren 2.5 days a week, which makes looking for a job difficult. I also don’t particularly want a regular work commitment at the moment.
I am concerned about not working, as I’ve always worked full time even when my children were small, however I’m getting used to not being defined by my job.

Bea65 Sat 10-Sep-22 07:51:43

I wanted to retire in June as SP kicked in...but once Ukraine was invaded and and and..the goal posts moved...am still working 3 days but less hours due to ongoing health issues over last 15yrs..
Not having freedom of healthy finances, cannot just stop working entirely and TBH it gives me a routine and sense of purpose to my life; engages me with others as live alone now for past 5-6yrs...the thought of just being able to go and book holidays on a whim, would in the past delight me .now, with health issues, these thoughts are gone...I actually think I will have to work till at least 70 to enable my work pension to enable me to live with present cost of living crisis..very depressing really...

Gangang Sat 10-Sep-22 08:13:01

I retired at the beginning of the calendar year - 11 months early. I worked part time in school although, similar to most school staff, an additional third of my working hours were unpaid. I was exhausted and couldn’t sustain working from 6:45am to 4:30pm four days a week (without a break in my working day). My workload was unmanageable. Retiring was foremost the best decision I have ever made in my working life.

Grandmajb Sat 10-Sep-22 08:29:15

I am in the process of taking early retirement at 63. My financial advisor has told me that I can live on my income from investments and a small works pension until my main pension from a previous company comes good at 65 (although I could take it next year) and my state pension.

I don’t want the stress of my job anymore. I have had enough. I have lined up a voluntary job in a little primary school reading to children and working in their library. Hours when I want. That plus gym, choir, friends and grandchildren will keep me busy.

aquagran Sat 10-Sep-22 08:31:31

Keep working for as long as you enjoy your job and are physically capable of doing it. It gives you a reason to get up in the morning it gives you a reason to get smartly dressed. You mix with all generations so conversations are not just about old age complaints but topical subjects, even if that is “Did you watch Love Island last night?”Working with younger people gives you insights into other’s thinking and interests rather than the just the opinions of some elderly folk. I still miss my job!

Visgir1 Sat 10-Sep-22 08:42:49

I took my NHS pension at 60 I was Senior management in a Dept as a qualified Health Care professional
I thought I would look for something part time and completely different.
I had to do something it's so boring at home with nothing constructive to do.

After 3 months my previous boss contacted me and asked could I come back a couple of days a week on the Bank team. No brainer!
The Bank means I chose when I work, under there terms and conditions. Due to the level I previously worked I have excellent pay.

I have now been doing that for 7 years, I worked all through the Pandemic on site and at home. Now I am part of the team that run clinics from home via Trust IT systems. This has been perfect as I have had Orthopaedics issues and this fits better into my life atm.

I am now getting my State pension consequently this has put me in a higher tax bracket, so happy to take much more leave to reduce my tax.
I plane to continue this as long as I can.
I am not ready to call it a day yet.

Humbertbear Sat 10-Sep-22 09:09:58

I retired at 60 because the unit in which I worked had been taken over by another department and the ethos of self management and self direction had been completely destroyed. I took up painting and spent two days a week looking after grandchildren. As a result we have a great bond. My DH had already had to retire due to ill health so we kept one day a week free for outings. I carried on teaching for the OU for five years and was fortunate to be made redundant at the end of that time. Because of the OU I could defer taking my State Pension till I was 65 and was given £10k as a reward.

Ashcombe Sat 10-Sep-22 09:30:53

At 56, I reduced my Y6 teaching commitment to part time but took extra hours each Spring Term to run booster classes before Sats. By the age of 58, I'd had enough. My decision to take early retirement was mainly due to frustrations with the way the school was (mis) managed!

Supply teaching in a better organised school helped me recover and I finally retired at 61 before we relocated to Torbay. Within three years I divorced my H of 40+ years and married a friend from school days! No regrets!

Hymnbook Sat 10-Sep-22 09:59:27

I retired at 60. Had no intention of going that early . Earlier that year I had 6 weeks off sick with stress and depression. I realised once I had finished work that I had been bullied. I have now been retired 12years the end of this month. I struggled money wise but being born in 1950 l did receive my state pension. I had to go down the benefits route. Covid did me a favour as for 2 years l couldn't go any where so l saved money and when I moved to a smaller flat l had to sell a lot of my furniture etc. So l also had that money to live on.
I wouldn't go back to work so glad I'm retired feel sorry for my youngest sister she will have to carry on working for a few more years in a very pressured stressful job.

Fleurpepper Sat 10-Sep-22 10:10:16

I retired at 53 from my full-time job for a variety of reasons. Having to look after my parents more and more who lived a long way away and having to aks for time-off several times to sort them out. OH not able to take holidays during school holidays, and finding the job increasingly hard to do. I started my own business, working only about 20 weeks a year but VERY intensively and lucratively. Retired fully at 59 when OH retired at 63.

I now realise it is a VERY expensive thing to do, and thank goodness we don't rely on my pension to live.