Gransnet forums

Sport

Athletics

(37 Posts)
JessM Sat 27-Aug-11 20:22:34

Is anyone else trying to watch the World Championships?
Has anyone else got their head in their hands after watching the Channel 4 coverage?

Jacey Thu 01-Sep-11 14:00:42

We've got a gold!! smile ...that'll lift us up the medal table.

gettingonabit Thu 01-Sep-11 15:30:37

Yes, the coverage is crap. Like something you'd find adolescents doing to show off on Youtube. The presenters should be shot. I think the BBC go over the top perhaps, but at least you feel it's a significant event when they do it. Even Michael Johnson isn't making much sense. Well done Dai Greene!! Well done to Hannah England too. Funny how the commentators ignored her until practically the moment she actually won!

Jacey Thu 01-Sep-11 21:31:44

Well, we are now 4th on the medal table ...out of the 34 countries who have so far won medals smile
As it may not last for long ...I raise my glass to our athletes wine ...well done!

JessM Fri 02-Sep-11 08:29:11

Dai Greene waited until the last few seconds didn't he... phew. First welshman to get a gold since Colin J?
Lovely Dai who comes from my neck of the woods and looks like my DS2 I am so pleased for him.
I thought Hannah would do well when she was in the heat - it was a bit of a cliffhanger though with her on the curb all that way.

I note from Jacey's link (thankyou) that one of the presenters has had the push already but the one left not much better. Johnson is struggling as a consequence because he gets asked stupid questions. Oh and has his hand shaken at the start of the programme! Incredibly amateur. And too many London accents. And the race commentator whose voice keeps breaking at moment of tension !!!
Will Phillips have a good games or not... Will any of the relays get a medal this time... I am not hopeful about the relays.

shysal Fri 02-Sep-11 08:46:56

I have been too busy with grandchildren to watch the athletics, but on the highlights yesterday I was struck by the thinness of the women - quite emaciated I thought. I hope it was only the few I saw,it can't be healthy.

JessM Fri 02-Sep-11 12:13:30

They are in a different zone to the rest of us shysal. Normal health advice for long term is that a bit of fat is a good idea. But if you are running competitively every kilo slows you down I suppose. I guess it is also the body type that makes a good runner or jumper - skinny. The throwers tend to be well-covered! The men are the same.
I've noticed that they do round out a bit once they retire e.g. Denise Lewis.
It's possible that they put on a kilo or two when it is not the middle of the season. I don't think we need to worry about them.

JessM Tue 06-Sep-11 07:15:03

Didn't our Mo do well.
No more athletics until next August sad.
Well only a little bit.
Please someone tell me it will be the BBC not CH4 that does the coverage?

Annobel Tue 06-Sep-11 09:51:06

Different body types for different events. The distance runners tend to be skinny with long muscles; sprinters' muscles are more bulky and as for high jumpers - what amazing legs those girls have! My 19-yr-old GD has watched the events and decided she wants a physique like those sprinters - the women, I hope - and has accordingly spent time in the gym last week. I wonder how long that's going to last. hmm

gettingonabit Tue 06-Sep-11 17:04:05

Shame about the relay though - the mens' - why do they always manage to **it up? Phillips too. He looked in such good shape. The coach seemed pleased overall. Can't wait 'til; the Olympics - the BBC normally do it, so they'll do it this time, won't they? Hope I'm not at work, though - I'll have to throw a major sickie!!

JessM Tue 06-Sep-11 17:45:22

Oh the men's relay - argh. I dont think they do normally mess up, they seem to have won more medals over the years in this event than any other. Harry's muscles too big and nerves got the better of him too i think.
I think Phillips was in great shape, just someone else popped out a huge jump on the day. Poor old Grey Rutherford who lives near here v disappointed not to be in the long jump final - injured hamstring. I was just reading his comments in local rag.
I have got tickets! Just for one day at the start of the athletics!
Best of the athletics will be in the evenings of course with heats and field events during office hours.

JessM Thu 15-Sep-11 21:29:17

Athletics on this Friday on BBC2 at 7pm. Bolt is going to go for it.