Gransnet forums

Sport

Olympic 3 day Eventing

(36 Posts)
crimson Mon 11-Jun-12 22:46:57

Anyone interested in this? Haven't heard yet exactly which horses and riders have been chosen but, on my racingforum somebody said that one of Trevor Hemmings horses had been chosen [he owns half of Blackpool and breeds and owns many good racehorses along with rare breeds of horse; a really lovely man]. Someone replied that, he didn't care how good Ballabriggs was over 4 1/2 miles [Mr Hemming's latest Grand National winner] he was never going to beat Usain Bolt [this made me chuckle]. I understand that Zara Phillips has been chosen, which I am well chuffed about. I cried when she won the World Championships on Toytown a few years back.

merlotgran Mon 30-Jul-12 16:19:28

Well done the team so far grin flag

Greatnan Mon 30-Jul-12 16:27:46

My daughter had not ridden since she sold her horse at the age of 15. Then she moved to New Zealand, started volunteering at Riding for the Disabled, got totally hooked and is now doing well in her dressage lessons at the age of 49! In spite of doing all the paying out for my girls' horses, I have never actually managed to get further than rising trot myself, but I may take up a little gentle riding when I emigrate at the age of 75.

merlotgran Mon 30-Jul-12 16:35:43

I had to give up in my forties, Greatnan sad My right knee was packing up and it wasn't worth the pain although I carried on with our children's riding activities which went on until they were in their teens. It was quite a relief when they gave up because it's such an expensive activity even if you don't compete. We kept two of the three ponies so they could enjoy their retirement but DD1's first pony was sold to a young girl who had spina bifida and went on to win many local competitions.

merlotgran Tue 31-Jul-12 12:59:38

Well Done, Team GB. Silver Medal grin flag flag

crimson Tue 31-Jul-12 13:14:14

I rushed back from work again; missed William Fox Pitt, saw the others then, as I was getting so nervous, switched off a bit and started tidying my handbag, only to suddenly realise that I'd missed seeing Miners Frolic; perhaps better for my blood pressure for that to have happened. Hope she does well in the individual. Now to watch a bit of Goodwood [Frankel tomorrow]. What a week!

merlotgran Tue 31-Jul-12 15:46:59

I'm glad Zara Phillips went clear this afternoon but a great shame for Mary and Tina to miss out on individual medals. It was a great three days though and they did well this morning. We have to go out tomorrow and I don't think I'll be back in time for Frankel sad

crimson Tue 31-Jul-12 16:21:20

Yes; Zara went out on a high but still seemed to be blaming herself for all sort of things. Feel so sorry for that Swedish girl who almost won the individual..I remember them going on about her horse yesterday, and it's always nice to see someone riding a home bred; extra extra special to all concerned. But the man who won is obviously the best in the world and it's no shame to be beaten by him. As they said, the course was always going to favour the Germans as well. Well done us smile.

tanith Tue 31-Jul-12 16:26:13

Well done us indeed, pity Princess wore that awful hat even when presenting the medals.. enjoyed it muchly even though I know next to nothing about the sport... very watchable poor Zara was crying during the first interview, she seems to be so down to earth and nice..

merlotgran Tue 31-Jul-12 21:02:38

When Zara Phillips was interviewed tonight it was mentioned that Mark Phillips won a gold medal at the Munich Olympics. Typically Zara thought it was really funny to point out that Princess Anne had reminded her that her father's gold was a team medal and his score wasn't counted. OUCH! grin

vanesavis18 Sat 05-Jan-13 10:44:17

Message deleted by Gransnetfor breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.