Gransnet forums

Sport

Federer

(46 Posts)
susiecb Sat 07-Jul-12 11:16:05

I'll nail my colours to the mast here and say I'm for Federer- am I alone?

whenim64 Sun 08-Jul-12 13:11:54

I'm so excited! This is the match I've been waiting for grin

Butternut Sun 08-Jul-12 13:22:52

glam J. is watching the GP on tv at the moment, but will depart and leave it to me for the tennis. He'll finish the race on iplayer! smile

Grandmanorm Sun 08-Jul-12 15:10:48

I can't watch, I can't bear the suspense. Being Scottish I would like Murray to win, especially in the Jubilee year. I am watching rubbish instead!!!

granjura Sun 08-Jul-12 15:18:35

Being Swiss, guess what? wink

AlisonMA Sun 08-Jul-12 16:21:22

Rain break but whatever happens we can be proud of Andy, he has done well so far!

glammanana Sun 08-Jul-12 16:24:43

AM doing well lets hope he keeps it up !

whenim64 Sun 08-Jul-12 16:30:20

My heart's been in my mouth a few times - this could be a 5 hour match - as brilliant as I expected! smile

Hunt Mon 09-Jul-12 09:42:57

well, that's it then. He may not have won the match , but he won my heart. We saw a side of him that we had never seen before.

Ella46 Mon 09-Jul-12 09:47:37

Yes, Murray played his heart out and won me over totally. Must have been a little difficult for Federer to hear all the cheering for Andy, when it was usually for him.
Brilliant match.

whenim64 Mon 09-Jul-12 10:19:14

I saw a different side of Andy yesterday, and it said more about me than him! I realise how caught up we can get with media manipulation and Andy seems to be one person who doesn't play their game. It was great to see how he paid tribute to the crowd as well as his team and family. I hope he continues to stay away from the spotlight and can't wait till next year when he's back at Wimbledon.

AlisonMA Mon 09-Jul-12 10:37:49

when has said it all for me, well put.

soop Mon 09-Jul-12 11:38:48

I am so proud of that young man's efforts. I was in tears when he said "his bit"...filling up as I post. Soppy me!

GoldenGran Mon 09-Jul-12 11:50:38

me too Soop , I' m a bit soppy about him too, he is gracious elegant and talented. Murray did well, and it would have been nice to see him win, however we did have a Brit winning at Wimbledon,and he is also a gracious charmingand talented player. Jonathan Marray, where is all the adulation and praise for him, he has hardly had a mention.

Annobel Mon 09-Jul-12 15:13:25

If I have a character flaw (if?), it's that I can't bear to see anyone disappointed! I found myself filling up for Andy when he showed such raw emotion. Better luck for the Olympics in just a few weeks.

susiecb Mon 09-Jul-12 15:19:00

I thought Andy Murray fought really hard, played really well exceeding the best of his ability if thats possible to do but in the end he was outclassed. I hope his mother is nicer to him than she looks.

Maniac Mon 09-Jul-12 15:20:17

I was in tears as well.Well done Andy! He really did play-and speak his heart out.

Towerhouse39 Mon 09-Jul-12 19:23:04

I know little about tennis shoes but I do wonder why Andy Murray who slipped at least three times on Sunday, and lost two points as a result, doesn't wear shoes with more grip. When I played cricket in the 50s, every player wore cricket boots with spikes. Perhaps in the current era these have been replaced with shoes that are less 'industrial'. However, I'm sure that AM should reconsider his footwear as he is prone to slipping. My other point from Sunday's match is AM's body language. He certainly showed his displeasure at every poor shot. Whereas, super cool Federer showed no emotion at any time in the match. Is that the way champions should play? I did like smiley Tsonga who played AM in the semi-final. He smiled even in defeat.

Bags Mon 09-Jul-12 19:53:12

AM should perhaps try Vibram Fivefingers shoes. I often use them to give me grip on wet grass even on a slope. Very effective as you can grip with your toes.

soop Tue 10-Jul-12 12:02:18

Bags you're such a star! smile

Charlotta Tue 10-Jul-12 20:50:26

I like Federer, he is such an elegant player. Also I liked the glimpse of his dark hairy chest when he changed shirts, and am glad he is not into this fashion that men have for shaving everything.
Must have something to do with being Swiss.

I feel so sorry for Andy Murray ( isn't it time he grew up and called himself Andrew?) I cringe when he gets really nosey interviewers.
Leave the lad alone! Let him play tennis, its obvious he is a very private person but that is not what the BBC want these days. If I were him I would tell them to mind their own business!

He will make it one day but only for once, he'll not win years running like lovely Roger did.