Gransnet forums

Sport

What sports do you do and why?

(27 Posts)
grannyactivist Mon 22-Oct-12 07:40:29

A few weeks ago I was discussing with the Wonderful Man how he might like to celebrate his 50th birthday next year..... a party perhaps? A family holiday? An extravagant gift?
"No" he said, he would "like to do a Triathlon". shock So, he has been training by swimming (in the sea), cycling and running - and yesterday he took part in his first Classic Triathlon. (He didn't stop grinning throughout - he loves having an adventure, and the more arduous it is the better.)
It got me wondering about sports - apart from swimming (purely for health reasons) I don't do any. What about you?

zorran Mon 06-Jan-14 19:40:03

It seems there are lots of active 'veterans' out there! I like to run marathons but they have to be somewhere involving a flight in an aeroplane. I've run marathons in Edinburgh, Dublin, Jersey, New York and Budapest. It's a great way to see the world! I'm 62 and run with my dogs 5 days a week. I teach beginners running at our local running club and find that very rewarding, especially when they improve and leave me standing! I swim once a week with a lovely group of 'older' ladies and I look after my 6 horses. I love being active. I'm absolutely delighted that so many people are enjoying sport - it makes retirement really good fun.