Gransnet forums

Sport

Six Nations 2014

(86 Posts)
JessM Sat 01-Feb-14 21:18:28

Well then. Wales not looking that sharp I thought, considering the stellar line-up. And England closely beaten by a dangerous looking France. I wouldn't like to put money on who was going to win the 6 nations this year.

nannyfran Sun 16-Mar-14 16:21:19

As we Welsh had an off season, I'm delighted that Brian could go out on a high and Ireland were worthy winners.
I'm sorry our game was marred by the Hogg incident, it was so unlike him and I would have liked a win under more equal conditions.Why didn't we play like that all through the tournament?
I don't know what I shall do at weekends now, I might be forced into ironing and housework!Awful thought!

mrshat Sun 16-Mar-14 15:40:02

Have to say I am delighted with the final result. I think (know!) Ireland deserved to win the championship and delighted for good old Brian to go out on a high. A very tense 10 minutes at the end tho! shamrock grin

JessM Sun 09-Mar-14 21:03:23

Yes, not even singing in time to the band.

Soutra Sun 09-Mar-14 20:15:47

And SO SLOW - it's not a style of singing the anthems I have ever liked. But I always find the unaccompanied verse of Flower of Scotland very moving.

gettingonabit Sun 09-Mar-14 20:05:51

A bit of an aside, but did anyone else dislike the women singing the National Anthems during the Wales/ England game? As if the crowd needed any help to sing! The woman singing the Welsh one was particularly awful, her rendition full of mispronounciations.

ninathenana Sun 09-Mar-14 20:05:30

Missed that. Was making brew

nannyfran Sun 09-Mar-14 17:53:22

Me too, in spite of today. Did you see the footballer at half time who said much the same thing? It's always a nicer atmosphere in rugby matches.

ninathenana Sun 09-Mar-14 17:48:43

Very gracious of you nannyfran you wouldn't get that from majority of rival soccer fans.
I love rugby smile

nannyfran Sun 09-Mar-14 17:44:49

I'm not surprised nina, you played really well. I just wish we hadn't been quite as awful!
I'm glad your house is happy, as my DH is English, half of ours is too.

ninathenana Sun 09-Mar-14 17:40:54

Woo hoo!! England on form. Sorry Welsh people, we have one very happy house here.

nannyfran Sun 09-Mar-14 17:28:20

Oh, the shame of it!Where were the side that used to be able to play rugby?
Well done England, you deserved it, but you've made me a very unhappy Welsh woman!

ninathenana Sun 09-Mar-14 14:46:26

Go England !!!

soop Sun 09-Mar-14 12:26:36

Soutra you've taken the words out of my mouth...sad

JessM Sun 09-Mar-14 07:04:26

Yes anno the All Blacks are dirty players, particularly at the beginning of matches. B o'D has been the best player Ireland has ever had, surely. If they had knighthoods, he'd get one. I always remember watching on TV when he played a match in Wellington NZ and there was a southerly storm (the cold kind in NZ) going on. B o'D was interviewed as soon as he came off and his teeth were chattering he was so cold.
Glad Ireland had a good win on his last match in Dublin.

Soutra Sat 08-Mar-14 23:34:48

Sadly another case of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. So near...sad

annodomini Sat 08-Mar-14 22:51:19

Oh dear! Scotland managed to give away a kickable penalty at the last moment and let France win a match which they didn't deserve to win. sad

annodomini Sat 08-Mar-14 17:58:18

Such an emotional match for Ireland. I've been a big fan of O'Driscoll for years and have never forgiven the All Blacks for that spear tackle that took him out right at the beginning of a Lions' Tour. An emphatic victory over Italy.
Now it's half time in the Scotland France match with Scotland ahead. If I was a nail biter my nails would be down to the quick.

JessM Mon 24-Feb-14 15:30:25

B o'd slept on my sister's couch once!
Wales looking better but it was not a particularly enjoyable game to watch. Two tries were fun though.
We were rooting for Ireland (DH born there) but that was a great match. Exciting last two weeks of the championship with 3 teams in contention.

annodomini Sun 23-Feb-14 15:52:19

England are cannily building a team for the next World Championship. Ireland are leaving it a bit too late and sticking to too many of the 'old guard', though I won't hear a word against Brian O'Driscoll!

mrshat Sun 23-Feb-14 15:24:33

England v Ireland an absolutely cracking match. Best I've seen in an age. However, rather glum with the result! sad

ninathenana Sat 22-Feb-14 22:53:29

England played a great game, very exciting grin grin

J52 Sat 22-Feb-14 15:54:32

Time for England win NOW! X

annodomini Sat 22-Feb-14 15:54:04

Your GD really understands the principles of the game, Galen.

Agus Sat 22-Feb-14 15:42:14

YES!!! I am exhausted but happy, happy, happy.

Galen Sat 22-Feb-14 15:38:28

Dgd's rugby commentary.
'Ball'
'Theyve fallen in the muddy grass'
'Theyve fallen again'
She's two and a half