Gransnet forums

Sport

Six Nations 2014

(85 Posts)
JessM Sat 01-Feb-14 21:18:28

Well then. Wales not looking that sharp I thought, considering the stellar line-up. And England closely beaten by a dangerous looking France. I wouldn't like to put money on who was going to win the 6 nations this year.

mollie Sat 01-Feb-14 21:33:54

I only saw the France -v- England match but it was a close thing... looking forward to the next one!

annodomini Sat 01-Feb-14 22:15:17

Well, Jess, my money's on Scotland. grin grin wink

nannyfran Sun 02-Feb-14 12:12:53

You're right about Wales, JessM, but we always seem to start poorly and a win is a win.
Being married to an Englishman, I really felt for him during the last 5 minutes of the match, at least Nigel is a fair ref.
I'll reserve judgement on the overall winner until this afternoon.

soop Sun 02-Feb-14 12:50:22

I shall be rooting for the Scots this afternoon. Yesterday's match was exciting. A tough looking bunch of chaps. wink

Charleygirl Sun 02-Feb-14 13:05:42

I have my hard hat on- I find rugby so boring.

soop Sun 02-Feb-14 13:40:39

Oops! I used to. And then, one day I happened to see the Scots playing [and losing] against whoever it was that beat them and from thereon I was hooked. Flower of Scotland, when will we see your likes again... lah lah lah...grin

JessM Sun 02-Feb-14 14:13:38

charleygirl - this is obviously a thread for those who don't confused
If you start a tennis thread I promise I will not come on over to tell you just how boring I find tennis grin
I know Dh will be wanting to watch Ireland play, but he has a presentation to write for Uni and I also know he will have forgotten that he promised to come and see a band in the pub later... I am going to mention it much later I think...

annodomini Sun 02-Feb-14 14:14:03

I may have to take refuge in a short nap. hmm

annodomini Sun 02-Feb-14 14:15:11

Looking on the bright side, we have the winter Olympics to look forward to. grin

Elegran Sun 02-Feb-14 14:17:10

Does anyone have a golf thread I can not read?

Agus Sun 02-Feb-14 14:24:36

Mine too Anno although I love rugby and enjoy watching any of the games.

Sing up soop grin

LizG Sun 02-Feb-14 14:44:50

Love rugby but can't stand OH's language on 'those' occasions so don't get to watch it very often. Went to Twickenham some years back when I worked for Pilkingtons and saw Bath win the cup. Truly amazing.

Granny23 Sun 02-Feb-14 15:03:10

I think it was Jim Sillars who coined the phrase 'ninety minute patriot' to describe those who became fervently Scottish for the duration of any event where the Scottish team was competing. I think I am the opposite - a 'ninety minute sportsfan' because I only take an interest in any sport when there is a Scottish team or player involved. grin

JessM Sun 02-Feb-14 15:46:59

I think my favourite moment in the England match (was a bit rugby-ed out by then, as it was end to end with the Wales one) was when the referee (with his strong Valleys accent) told 2 of the players to "stop behaving so immature" and then Brian More quoted Corialanus.

soop Sun 02-Feb-14 16:03:30

Tennis is my FAVOURITE sport. I believe that Andy may be playing in the Davis Cup a this evening. grin

soop Sun 02-Feb-14 17:30:37

Oops! In spite of having me yelling for Scotland throughout the match...they lost spectacularly sad

Soutra Sun 02-Feb-14 18:25:30

Oh dear - is it going to be another of those seasons? Wooden spoon time again? Honestly it is so hard to be even a 90 minute Scot these days. I never felt today's match really got off the ground despite a great afternoon and excellent conditions. I am just glad my dear Dad (*Fly-Half" of The Sunday Post if anybody remembers him) isn't around to see Scotland not repeat their 1984 Grand Slam Mcsad Mcsad Mcsad

soop Mon 03-Feb-14 13:56:52

Soutra It was disappointing. Ireland were the worthy winners. Andy did we born-again Scots proud. I wanted to join in the group hug at the end of the match. grin

baubles Mon 03-Feb-14 14:15:09

I support Scotland except when they're playing Ireland.

There was a just touch of rivalry in our house yesterday grin

soop Mon 03-Feb-14 16:07:20

baubles smile

Anniebach Mon 03-Feb-14 17:43:19

I confess , I don a red rugby shirt and drag David out of the attic - a five foot, tatty felt daffodil, the Red Dragon is hoisted and I go through many panic attacks. My grandson has banned me from the rugby club during the six nations, seems a twenty year old girl in the red shirt is just fine, a granny is not

JessM Tue 04-Feb-14 08:09:25

Finally watched the Ireland match. They were great - have to be favourites after the first weekend.

soop Tue 04-Feb-14 12:26:53

Anniebach grin

nannyfran Tue 04-Feb-14 15:00:52

Yes, Ireland look very dangerous, we'll have to pull something out of the bag for next weekend.Still, we have done it before.Heaven help my blood pressure!
My children have banned me from the Millenium stadium, Anniebach.Every time they took me to a match, Wales lost!