Oh, did he win? Fantastic! All that pressure too. smile

Anniebach Sat 05-Nov-16 14:40:44

No, he didn't win, match called of due to injury, but he would have won 😀

nanaK54 Sat 05-Nov-16 14:43:29

I am delighted

soop Sat 05-Nov-16 14:52:42

I'm delighted for him.

tanith Sat 05-Nov-16 15:28:08

He is an inspiration to lots of youngsters what a great achievement for him well done that man.

Charleygirl Sat 05-Nov-16 15:42:34

Well deserved

Anya Sat 05-Nov-16 16:34:20

We're certainly right up there with the best when I comes to sport 🏆

Pittcity Sat 05-Nov-16 18:04:13

Fabulous news. Did you see him playing with the ball boys/girls instead of his cancelled match?

Cherrytree59 Sat 05-Nov-16 18:56:02

A true inspiration.
The ball boys & girls have now played with The number one Tennis player. Bet they are chuffed!
smile

Beth61 Sat 05-Nov-16 19:17:45

What an inspirational family! Jamie and Andy survived the horror of 1996 and have put Dunblane on the map for a wonderful reason. Andy has worked so hard for this and I hope he stays number 1 for a long time. Congratulations!

Luckygirl Sat 05-Nov-16 19:27:38

The boy done good. But it is a shame he did not get his match due to opponent's injury.

Anniebach Sat 05-Nov-16 19:33:08

Two Wimbledon wins

Last years Davies Cup

2 Olympic golds

American open champion

First British world number one

A knighthood please

NanKate Sat 05-Nov-16 20:21:18

Well I don't want to detract from Andy becoming no. 1 in the World, he has worked hard to get there and deserves his place in the ranking AND NOW THE BUT

I find him dour, at times very childish bashing his racket when someone else gets ahead of him. He starts talking during the match to his team when things are going wrong. I will admit he appears a lot better when he is off the court.

IMO Rafa Nadal is the true gentleman, always giving credit to his opponent and never making excuses when he loses. Roger Federer is great too as is Milos Roanic.

Anniebach Sat 05-Nov-16 20:41:22

I doubt Nadal and Federer were given a harsh time by the press in their country at the start of their career and not only the press , as Murray got . His big mistake was being a much better player than Henman

grumppa Sat 05-Nov-16 21:26:46

He has also had to overcome the snobbery of those who prefer their tennis champions to be gentlemen.

Anniebach Sat 05-Nov-16 21:50:58

So true grumppa, what bugs me is Henman was perfect , the fact he was the first player ever to be disqualified from Wimbledon for losing his temper, slamming a ball so hard it hit a ball girl on the head .

I like Henman and he is a loyal friend to Murray but he was not the English gentleman he was made out to be .

I have never seen Andy talking to his team during a match, it's against the rules , yes he gets annoyed with himself but when has he ever criticised an opponent , he is his own strongest critic

NotTooOld Sun 06-Nov-16 16:23:58

grumpa - how do you define 'gentleman' in this case?

grumppa Sun 06-Nov-16 17:35:37

I refer you to NanKate, who used it first.

Jalima Sun 06-Nov-16 18:09:16

I have seen Andy chuntering away to himself (like many of us!) but not talking to his team - that's not allowed is it?

I think Andy would have preferred to win a match to get to No 1, but he would have won anyway in all probablility.

Well done Andy!

Anniebach Sun 06-Nov-16 18:20:48

Talking to the team would bring a warning , it is against rules , Andy is no cheat

paddyann Mon 07-Nov-16 01:02:34

Andy Murray is a young man we should be very proud of.He has worked hard and is dedicated to his sport.He also regularly gives his prize money to charity ...not many do THAT! His family must be so proud to have two young men who are world number ones in their sport in the same year .His mother must be congratulated for her role in their success.Well done Andy ,and Jamie and a huge thank you to Judy for her unstinting support,physical.mentally and financially for her boys.A mum to be applauded and proud of

paddyann Mon 07-Nov-16 01:06:04

NANKATE .is that a case of anyone but Murray? Andy Murray is a wonderful young man ,dedicated to his sport .Sad that some will criticise where its NOT due

NanKate Mon 07-Nov-16 07:14:36

I seem to have upset some of you with my opinion, which was not my intention.

I hope I gave credit to Andy for his hard work, dedication and great tennis. I think I should have said chuntering as Jalima said which is often directed to his team.

I am sure we all have our favourites on the tennis circuit.

I thought Gransnet was a place for diverse opinions.

Let us all return to enjoying watching wonderful tennis, which is the important thing.

Jayh Mon 07-Nov-16 13:34:01

Poor Tim Henman was heavily criticised and perceived as a failure in the press and in public opinion for, amongst other things, not winning Wimbledon. In the early days, Andy Murray was wary of the press, not wanting the same treatment. He is not loquacious in interviews like some of the other big names in tennis but I have never heard him being ungracious.
Well done Andy! The next goal is to hold on to the number one spot.