Gransnet forums

Sport

Andy Murray

(49 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 05-Nov-16 14:37:36

World number one, fantastic news

NotTooOld Mon 07-Nov-16 16:49:33

Grumpa - apologies.

Someone mentioned Andy Murray playing with the ball girls and boys when his match was cancelled. I would have loved to have seen that. What a fantastic thing for them to remember in later years. Good for Andy!

paddyann Mon 07-Nov-16 21:16:40

NanKate ,are we watching the same young man? Andy Murray plays a double with 3 ball boys
After Raonic's walkover, Murray gave the Paris fans something to cheer. He took to the court for practice, and hit a few shots with the ball boys and girls.
youtube.com

Jalima Mon 07-Nov-16 22:13:00

NanKate Andy has improved his attitude a lot and even more so recently; yes, he was very dour and used to mumble into his chest when being interviewed and came across as very ungracious. He didn't endear himself to anyone when he said 'anyone but England' about some match or other.

However, he does seem to be a much more gracious and thoughtful young man these days - PR or has he just grown up a bit?

NanKate Tue 08-Nov-16 21:53:00

Glad to hear it Jalima. I am also sure he was great with the ball boys and girls.

I love watching tennis, in fact I think I am addicted as I watch Tournaments around the world at very odd times of the day and NIGHT !

I prefer to watch Rafa and Roger and am pleased that the rest of you support Andy. We all have our preferences and that's fine in my book.

Anyone for tennis ?

Anniebach Mon 21-Nov-16 08:54:55

So the years finishes with two British World Number Ones

Jamie and Andy Murray

Fantastic

Charleygirl Mon 21-Nov-16 09:05:26

Yesterday evening's match was fabulous and Novak was so gracious in defeat. I was so pleased that Andy had won because he can now say that he won the no.1 spot in the world legitimately.

Alima Mon 21-Nov-16 09:09:13

Must admit I really did not like AM when he started out. As others have said he seemed so surly and ungracious. The remark about wanting "anyone to win as long as it isn't England" really did it for me. However he does seem to have grown up over the last few years and found his manners along with playing better than ever. I think that what he has achieved with hard work and determination is truly remarkable. Congratulations Andy, brilliant!

Cherrytree59 Mon 21-Nov-16 09:16:02

Thanks Annie
Nice to have good news
Well done the Murray boys!
Sports personality of the year will be a difficult choice this year
I hope Jamie (not forgetting his partner) gets some recognition.

Jayh Mon 21-Nov-16 09:21:21

I was dreading the match as I was expecting Novak to be the fresher of the two and therefore more likely to win.
We have three British Number ones. Andy Murray, Jamie Murray and Gordon Reid the wheelchair tennis champion.
?????????????????????????????

Jane10 Mon 21-Nov-16 09:24:01

Surely Sir Andy now?

Anniebach Mon 21-Nov-16 09:26:58

Must be Sir Andy, must

Greyduster Mon 21-Nov-16 09:31:27

Why is it, and I heard it again on the Today programme this morning, that the emphasis is always on Jaime Murray, and his partner, without whom he would not have been a doubles champion, is merely treated as an afterthought. It's was the same with Tom Daly in the synchronised diving. I find it rather annoying.

tanith Mon 21-Nov-16 09:34:49

I was expecting the same old Andy Murray who won break points over and over only to lose them again and again in Saturdays match. I should of had more faith as he played a blinder in the final he was going to win that match or bust.
Well done to all out World champion tennis players its been a long time coming..

Anniebach Mon 21-Nov-16 09:39:19

Because Greyduster this is about British tennis players , Jamie partners Soares is Brazilian

Grannyknot Mon 21-Nov-16 09:41:58

I don't usually watch tennis but yesterday's match was very exciting.

But - how bad are the people with taking photos on their mobile phones despite being told over and over again?! angry I thought both players dealt with those interruptions pretty well.

I like Andy, I think he's great.

Jayh Mon 21-Nov-16 09:45:19

It annoys me that the only tennis players that sports reporters think are worth a mention are the men's singles players. Jamie Murray's success is rarely reported and Gordon Reid's achievements are clearly not newsworthy. As for the women........angry

Granny23 Mon 21-Nov-16 09:49:02

Jalima He didn't endear himself to anyone when he said 'anyone but England' about some match or other

Can't believe you are still harking back to this old chestnut. Andy and Jamie have been happy and proud to represent Britain in the Olympics etc. but probably supported Scotland at the Commonwealth Games. When it comes to Football where Scotland/England/Ireland/Wales are RIVALS you must expect jocular comments such as this. ABE was a running joke in Scotland at the time just as ABC (anyone but Celtic) was the standard response of Rangers Fans when they were out of the league.

Anniebach Mon 21-Nov-16 09:55:46

It's how it has always been with the four UK countries , not malice ,just a very, very old running joke , blame the BBC

Greyduster Mon 21-Nov-16 10:52:48

I don't think it should amount to a hill of beans what nationality his partner is. He still deserves to be mentioned. I am not knocking Jaimie Murray - of the two brothers he is the one who doesn't make my skin crawl; would that Andy was half as charming and personable. Sir Andy? Nah!

Thingmajig Mon 21-Nov-16 10:56:05

I'm sure I aged 10 years watching both his matches this weekend, but fabulous that he beat Novak (can't spell Djokovic) and retained his Number 1 status for the end of year.

He was vastly helped during both matches by my wee DGD feeding him drinks of tea (pretend) and snacks from her tea-set! No doubt the TV needs a good clean today. smile

Well done, Andy!

Whoputthecatout Mon 21-Nov-16 16:38:44

Well done Andy. Reward for the incredible effort you put into your game.

As for this can't stand Andy because of his "anyone but England" comment, I can't believe this is still being held against him when it was a joking response to Tim Henman and an English journalist winding him up about Scotland never winning anything. This was laid to bed as long again as 2008 by Henman himself.

See www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqQsHBwkDgQ

I found Andy Roddick's opinion of him interesting. He says that with many popular players they are not so gracious off the court as they are on it. With Andy (Murray) it's the opposite - a chunterer on court but very gracious and popular off court with fellow players.

bumblebee123 Fri 10-Mar-17 15:01:31

I like Federer.

angelab Fri 10-Mar-17 15:54:08

Me too, Bumblebee - he's my favourite, more graceful and gracious IMO