Gransnet forums

Sport

New to swimming

(15 Posts)
Lindajane Wed 28-Jun-17 07:39:48

I've just started swimming after a very very long gap. I was never a great swimmer and used to be frightened of the deep end. I've overcome this now and have been slowly building up my distances but I am so slow! Has anyone else experienced this and will I get quicker?

Baggs Wed 28-Jun-17 07:55:21

You must be building up your stamina by increasing the distances you can swim, LJ. That's a plus to start with. ?‍♀️

shysal Wed 28-Jun-17 09:00:04

When I started to swim (breast stroke with chin up!) I increased my stamina by a sort of pyramid system.
1 length, rest.
2 lengths, rest.
3 lengths, rest.
Up to half the total you want to achieve, then reverse the order. I would count the lengths to myself with every stroke and I found it took my mind off the tiredness.
You will eventually settle into a speed which is comfortable to you. Try increasing the power of each stroke rather than the quickness, if you see what I mean. I only ever progressed to the 'medium' lane, could never achieve much speed.
I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Kateykrunch Wed 28-Jun-17 09:31:34

My best was 50 (25 metre) lengths which took me 50 mins, I have never managed to be quicker than a length a minute wether it be a 10 length session or 30. What I did find was that for some reason the 21st length was much easier than the first length and once I get to 21, I feel like I could swim for England! Sadly I have let my pool membership lapse, but might restart as I need some exercise. Good luck and enjoy.

grannysue05 Wed 28-Jun-17 09:35:46

Lindajane ...good for you ....going swimming again. Tell me - how did you get over your fear of deep water.

I never go to the local pool because I am scared of jumping in and putting my head under water.

On holidays abroad I splash about in the sea ... up to my neck only - I can swim and I enjoy it. Just can"t get my head under!

Lindajane Wed 28-Jun-17 09:47:54

Grannysue I was on holiday in Tenerife in April. They had a 0.9 metre pool which helped me get into the swimming. My husband then helped me in the larger deeper pool which was empty one morning. He's a scuba diver so he showed me how to tread water and how it was easy to float if I was relaxed. It's made a massive difference! I now swim happily in the middle of my local 25m pool. I never minded putting my head under water, just panicked if my feet didn't touch the bottom!

grannysue05 Wed 28-Jun-17 12:36:04

ThanksLJ That really helps.. I think I will learn to tread water on my holiday next week.

margaretrodriguez Wed 08-May-19 14:39:40

By improving your kick, using your arms and body better, working on breathing, and creating a practice routine, you’ll be able to get faster at swimming freestyle.

BradfordLass72 Thu 09-May-19 06:52:39

I'm a life-long swimmer and to me, being in the water is like heaven.

When I'm in the pool, there are people of all abilities.

Some hold onto the sides, or use floats and noodles.
Others water-walk in leisurely fashion with floats, talking to friends; some strike out as if they are training for the Olympics. Others just walk though the water, feet on the bottom at the shallow end.
No one puts themselves under pressure (apart from the Olympic hopefuls) grin

I used to do two hours hard out but since I was hospitalised at the beginning of the year, haven't been able to make that back yet. I can manage an hour and I'll be down there at 8:45 in the morning, plying backwards and forwards.

I really miss winter swimming in rivers and the sea but now I can't drive, that (like so much else) is lost to me.

Izabella Thu 09-May-19 19:40:19

Good for you. Another avid swimmer here. For those who do not like getting theirs heads under may I suggest goggles? I cannot swim with my head out of water as I get a painful neck if I do. And never worry about being slow. At least you make the effort. I was nearly 60 before I mastered the art of a proper front crawl with a breath every 6 strokes. Now it seems so easy but it took some working at.

Dontaskme Thu 09-May-19 19:50:45

Dw about being slow - everyone overtakes me with the exception of a very very very elderly gentleman who I just about keep pace with. I don't care, I just slowly do my breast stroke and mind my business. I try and increase the distance I cover but the speed is "stately" smile I also walk up and down in the pool - great exercise -and I do aqua aerobics once a week. Speed isn't everything, just enjoy yourself.

Helga5555 Tue 02-Jul-19 12:12:42

oh i like swimming very much, its really best that i could do all day long

Helga5555 Mon 08-Jul-19 12:22:23

this is my passion)

Urmstongran Mon 08-Jul-19 12:27:35

When I was a gym member (pre retirement) I found even though I went religiously straight from work every day I never got any faster. Once I realised that I stopped counting lengths and just swam continuously for half an hour. That was nicer as I found the counting boring!

Greyduster Mon 08-Jul-19 17:14:57

I hate trawling up and down the pool, but I try and vary my swimming strokes and include aqua jogging lengths too. I’m not a very fast swimmer. It always amazes me how people can swim, talk away ten to the dozen at the same time and still get to the other end before me!!