Gransnet forums

Sport

WIMBLEDON 2019

(29 Posts)
annodomini Mon 01-Jul-19 19:42:19

I've just been mesmerised by the match between Venus Williams and Cory Gauff. They looked very similar in physique and style of play, but the big difference is in age. Venus 39, Cory 15. And the youngster won. Granted that Venus isn't the power she once was, but she's still a force to be reckoned with. It was remarkable that the kid was never visibly disturbed if something went wrong - she was completely composed and the best thing is that all the shrieks were coming from Venus. How good to find a newcomer that plays in silence!

Esmenonna Mon 01-Jul-19 19:49:12

I didn't see it as I was watching Kyle Edmund. Yes Venus is amazing to be playing at her age. Her opponent (Coco?) is an up and coming player ; known to be extremely composed and focussed. There are many young female American players doing brilliantly - am sure the Venus sisters are the reason they started playing in the first place.
I love Wimbledon - it's the highlight of my year!

Sar53 Mon 01-Jul-19 19:52:22

I've just watched the match. What a composed, brilliant young girl. I thought she played so well and look forward to watching her in round 2.

Avor2 Mon 01-Jul-19 20:05:58

Brilliant match love Venus but Cory was outstanding. I am buying my DGD a tennis racket. Not being cruel at all but did anyone think Venus' hair looked like Olive Oyle??? 2 weeks of heaven on the centre court, here we come x x

annodomini Tue 02-Jul-19 17:47:13

It would be good if Cory inspired young girls to take up tennis as Maureen Connolly did in the 1950s. Well, that shows my age!

Bellasnana Tue 02-Jul-19 18:24:22

Didn’t see it, but enjoyed Federer/Harris match, and saw some of Jo Konta’s match. Love Wimbledon.???

Overthehills Tue 02-Jul-19 21:41:43

Wimbledon is the best! Apart from John Inverdale ... angry

MawBroonsback Wed 03-Jul-19 20:54:25

Go Coco Gauff! smile
Isn’t it lovely to see a newcomer upsetting the established order? No squeaks or grunts, just focused play and dedication.
A future champion indeed! ??????

Charleygirl5 Wed 03-Jul-19 21:44:28

I agree Maw tonight's match was excellent and silent! I wonder how far she will go in this Wimbledon?

I am so sorry that Kyle Edmonds is out but I am looking forward to seeing Andy playing with Serena as his partner. I would think they may go far.

Sar53 Wed 03-Jul-19 22:40:27

Wonderful game, brilliant young lady. It will be very interesting to see how far she can go.

annodomini Thu 04-Jul-19 21:40:18

Just finished watching Andy Murray and his partner, Hubert, winning their first match together as a doubles pair. After the first set, they just 'jelled' together and understood each other's game. It was good that the match could be completed under the new roof on Court 1. They could go from strength to strength now.

Pittcity Thu 04-Jul-19 21:56:06

I think doubles is much more fun to watch and that was a fabulous match for spectators anno.

joannapiano Thu 04-Jul-19 21:59:57

We were at No1 Court on Monday. Gosh it was hot.
We get tickets most years through the ballot.

Charleygirl5 Thu 04-Jul-19 22:03:34

I did enjoy watching Andy and Hubert this evening- they got on so well together and it is good to see Andy playing without a painful hip. He appears more relaxed when interviewed now- not quite so dour.

NanKate Thu 04-Jul-19 22:09:26

So pleased Rafa beat Kryrios today. Great match ????

Pittcity Fri 05-Jul-19 08:51:45

Judy Murray on Twitter this morning said that tennis is a cerebral sport as someone pointed out that Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, Murray are of the last generation to be brought up without mobile phones etc. to think for them. This made them wonder if this is why younger fitter players find them hard to beat.

JessK Fri 05-Jul-19 10:04:31

Went to Wimbledon yesterday and was lucky to be on Court !. The place erupted when it was announced that an extra game was being played and it was going to be Andy Murray. Great to see him back.

Labaik Fri 05-Jul-19 20:19:54

Anyone else in tears after Coco won ? What a star she's going to be....

merlotgran Fri 05-Jul-19 20:19:58

Wow! What a fantastic match. Well done, Coco Gaugh.

NanKate Fri 05-Jul-19 20:42:43

The Goffin v Medvedev match was brilliant, all 5 sets.

Overthehills Sat 06-Jul-19 21:56:59

Indeed it was NanKate, indeed it was!

NanKate Sat 06-Jul-19 22:15:57

My DH calls Wimbledon Salad Fortnight Overthehills no wonder he is so slim.

Mja300 Sun 14-Jul-19 08:45:51

Agreeed!

Mja300 Sun 14-Jul-19 08:51:38

FINALS TODAY! Djokovic vs Federer!
Good luck to both!
Here is a brilliant video on Federer - he gives some invaluable advice to anyone wanting to be the best they can be in any walk of life!

youtu.be/FbctLWgiceE

Mja300 Sun 14-Jul-19 08:52:38

Agreed! Good to see him back!