Gransnet forums

Sport

WEMBLEY and England v Italy *title edited by GNHQ at OP's request*

(162 Posts)
Bea65 Thu 24-Jun-21 13:41:55

How is this match going to be safe for the thousands that will attend...already know many people saying that they are travelling to London on Tuesday...we are going round in circles with the self isolation etc....I just despair when am abiding by the rules..

MayBee70 Tue 29-Jun-21 17:00:23

They’re booing the German National anthem. I’m so ashamed.

Lin52 Tue 29-Jun-21 17:13:45

So would I be if watching. On the other hand the Germans have altered our National Anthem to suit them.Can you imagine the uproar if this had been done to Deutschlandlied. Six of one and half a dozen of the other methinks. Enjoy the game
www.thetimes.co.uk/article/queen-substituted-as-german-media-rewrites-english-anthem-8fwrdsrpk. Even the Times have it wrong , it is the UK National anthem

Alegrias1 Tue 29-Jun-21 17:23:03

If it's the UK National Anthem, why do the English get to use it at national games?

Anyway, Die Welt apparently had a headline today, "Sorry, its us again".

Who said the Germans don't have a sense of humour? grin

NotAGran55 Tue 29-Jun-21 18:42:58

They think it’s all over ……

rafichagran Tue 29-Jun-21 19:00:07

Veganrock I am not saying it is acceptable because others do it. I am pointing out that football supporters are always tarred as being louts and hooligans. I have been to so many matches and that is not the case.
I have just watched the match after rushing home from work 2 nil to England. Football is called the beautiful game, it unites so many people.
Look at those England supporters, their joy and excitement, I dont see any bad behaviour just happy joyful fans. The singing is lovely to hear.
Let's stop moaning we have to get back to normal sometime.

25Avalon Tue 29-Jun-21 19:05:46

Singing, no face masks, and hugging. All things none of the rest of us are allowed to do.

rafichagran Tue 29-Jun-21 19:17:07

I am not worried about them singing and hugging, they have all had to be tested. We have to get back to normal sometimes.
I am just happy with the result.

I have had both vaccinations and a covid test. I wish I was at Wembley with them with my family. I would be singing and cheering.

I just wish people would stop moaning. You have a choice to go or not to go.

lemongrove Tue 29-Jun-21 19:24:19

NotAGran55

They think it’s all over ……

....it is now! ?

Lin52 Tue 29-Jun-21 19:32:15

Why not, England are part of the UK last time I looked. For goodness sake.

Alegrias1 Tue 29-Jun-21 19:35:00

Lin52

Why not, England are part of the UK last time I looked. For goodness sake.

You can't see the problem with one part of a political union, the largest and most dominant part of course, appropriating the anthem of the union and using it for themselves?

Really?

lemongrove Tue 29-Jun-21 19:35:55

It is the UK National Anthem, so you can sing it up in Scotland too if you like Aleg ?

Alegrias1 Tue 29-Jun-21 19:42:06

lemongrove

It is the UK National Anthem, so you can sing it up in Scotland too if you like Aleg ?

We do when it's appropriate to sing the UK national anthem. When the Queen comes to visit for instance, or when we're watching teams play sport when they are representing the UK. Because it's the UK anthem. But like many things, England think anything in the Union is automatically theirs.

lemongrove Tue 29-Jun-21 19:47:19

Shall we sing Flower of Scotland instead? Your football team could sing the National Anthem if they chose....but they won’t.
I hope there are no sour grapes at play here.hmm

lemongrove Tue 29-Jun-21 19:48:33

Off to celebrate now with a large G&T ?Cheers!

rafichagran Tue 29-Jun-21 19:51:21

I will celebrate too.?

Alegrias1 Tue 29-Jun-21 19:52:38

No sour grapes, but why did I guess you might say that....not predictable at all hmm

Good luck to the players, well done to them for finally beating Germany after 55 years.

Sing Jerusalem like you do at the Commonwealth Games.

gillgran Tue 29-Jun-21 20:05:15

Well done, Jaxjacky, that was a brilliant prediction you made earlier..!! 2-0, England win..!! smile

Callistemon Tue 29-Jun-21 20:21:33

There have been lots of threads on GN in the past, Alegrias, with suggestions for a National Anthem for England. Suggestions on a postcard please.

Quite frankly, if England want to sing the National Anthem of Great Britain in the absence of an English National Anthem that is fine by me.

Scotland doesn't have an official National Anthem either but choose to sing Flower of Scotland or Scotland the Brave at sporting events - fair enough as they still haven't managed to choose one.

Sour grapes?
I can't think why else it should be an issue.

Mollygo Tue 29-Jun-21 20:22:17

You can sing the UK National Anthem, or choose a song that you feel is more appropriate.
The Welsh sing Land of My Fathers.
The Scots sang Flower of Scotland.
No country of the UK is prevented from singing God Save the Queen. Would you like the UK National Anthem to be made obligatory for all?
If the England team choose to sing a song, they have the same right as Scotland and Wales to choose which one they sing.
It’s a bit dog-in-the-manger to say, “We don’t want to sing it, so you can’t either.”

Callistemon Tue 29-Jun-21 20:24:06

appropriating the anthem of the union
???

A Union which you despise

Well done, England
No sour grapes from Wales (which has its own Anthem ?)

Alegrias1 Tue 29-Jun-21 20:24:36

I'm not going to comment any more because I'll be accused of sour grapes whatever I say.

Maybe check out what time the discussion about English/UK anthems started and who started it.

Jaxjacky Tue 29-Jun-21 20:31:12

gillgran thank you, won’t try it again! A magical couple of hours in the local, brilliant atmosphere with people we know, it’s only small, so about forty five people, entry refused to those not booked a table. No misbehaviour, all stood in situ celebrating the goals, we’re very aware our pub could be shut if we were breaking the rules, so everyone behaves. Bring on Rome..??????????????

Callistemon Tue 29-Jun-21 22:28:05

Maybe check out what time the discussion about English/UK anthems started and who started it.
It was a few years ago, several threads I think.

Kali2 Tue 29-Jun-21 22:52:31

In the meantime we have a small family meeting- first in nearly 2 years- 3 close family couples and 2 children - we will be outside, and 1 couple will have to go to Hôtel as we are not allowed more than 6 from 2 households inside. Just **** ridiculous.

MawBe Tue 29-Jun-21 23:14:27

Kali2

In the meantime we have a small family meeting- first in nearly 2 years- 3 close family couples and 2 children - we will be outside, and 1 couple will have to go to Hôtel as we are not allowed more than 6 from 2 households inside. Just **** ridiculous.

I don’t see why Kali2

From the current regs
From 17 May - you will be able to meet up to 30 people outdoors, and up to six people or one other household indoors. There are some exemptions. You must not interact with anyone outside of your own group (of 30 people outdoors or six people indoors)
Rule of 6 indoors but up,to 30 out of doors