Gransnet forums

Sport

Andy Murray what a hero

(29 Posts)
Floradora9 Wed 30-Jun-21 22:43:43

I was blown away by Andy's courage , skill and tenacity in his game to-night . I really admire the way he has fought his way back and loves his game so much .

MayBee70 Wed 30-Jun-21 22:46:03

He never makes it easy does he? I always remember his win at the Olympics.

tanith Wed 30-Jun-21 22:53:52

I could hardly bear to watch and now we have to go through it all again ?

Lucca Wed 30-Jun-21 22:57:12

Also being discussed on the Wimbledon 2021 thread …..

Gwyneth Wed 30-Jun-21 23:00:11

Andy was fantastic what resilience. A great match.

muse Wed 30-Jun-21 23:29:16

My daughter is here for the week on holiday.

We're watching the tennis together - big fans First time we've done this for years. We were shouting in unison tonight. Roll on Friday.

Alizarin Thu 01-Jul-21 07:21:06

My friend and I were texting back and forth during the match; 'phew/exhausted/wow' etc. Felt like I'd been on the court afterwards! Otte gave him a run for his money.

Grandma70s Thu 01-Jul-21 07:26:58

I’m no fan of Murray, but I did watch it. I didn’t really mind who won. It’s quite hard to tell who is who under the facial hair. I wish that fashion would pass!

Charleygirl5 Thu 01-Jul-21 07:28:39

At least after watching Andy play last night I had a good night's sleep but my nerves were shot at times. As somebody said we have Friday to watch and then the England match on Saturday.

Grandmadinosaur Thu 01-Jul-21 08:36:28

Yes a big credit to Andy. I have to admit watching the game I thought at times it wouldn’t be the result we got and when he fell over oh my word my heart was in my mouth.

Sparklefizz Thu 01-Jul-21 09:02:28

Every time he groaned as he hit the ball, I worried about his hip!! What a match. Not sure if my nerves will hold up.

Poppyred Thu 01-Jul-21 09:25:04

Great match!

Witzend Thu 01-Jul-21 09:31:36

I can’t say I like him - all that aggressive snarling put me off long ago - so I wasn’t too bothered who won, but have to say I was glad he did - such dogged persistence meant he certainly deserved to.
I do wonder about the nerves of the Centre Court spectators though! Mine would have been shot to pieces!

Smileless2012 Thu 01-Jul-21 09:33:53

Fabulous match but soooo nerve wracking and as others have said, we have to go through it all again on Friday!!!

henetha Thu 01-Jul-21 09:40:33

Yes, it's not always an easy watch, is it. I imagine him in pain the whole time.. but do hope he isn't. I admire his skill and tenacity and hope he wins Wimbledon again, but if he doesn't at least he's trying his best. Well done Andy.

zalifiahw Thu 01-Jul-21 09:55:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Sparklefizz Thu 01-Jul-21 10:07:21

Reported.

tickingbird Thu 01-Jul-21 10:28:25

I was gripped and thought he was going down but thankfully he pulled it off. After all he’s been through it’s amazing he’s still playing at this level. He’ll have a hard time trying to get past his next opponent though, Shapavolov.

Hopefully someone can stop Djokovic. Not fair I know but I just can’t warm to him.

Lexisgranny Thu 01-Jul-21 10:36:40

I too enjoy the agony of watching Andy Murray playing, but always spare a thought for his opponent who is playing Andy plus the vast majority of the spectators - what a daunting prospect!

JenniferEccles Thu 01-Jul-21 12:34:26

I have so much respect and admiration for Andy Murray.

It’s strange because generally I don’t like the groaning, grunting and shouting we get with so many players these days, but somehow, with Murray I understand why he does it.

He’s clearly a perfectionist who gets incredibly frustrated by himself, and he seems to be far more energised when the crowd are cheering him on.
I love the fact that he engages with the spectators and invariably thanks them at the end of the match.

If he gets no further in this tournament he has much to be proud of to have come through two long gruelling matches.

Sparklefizz Thu 01-Jul-21 14:37:04

Hopefully someone can stop Djokovic. Not fair I know but I just can’t warm to him.

Same here.

JenniferEccles Thu 01-Jul-21 14:58:55

I’m also not a Djokovic fan.
Did I read some negative comments from him about the covid vaccine?

I think he’s got a few weird ideas generally.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 01-Jul-21 15:21:13

Wonderful match last night. Lovely to hear lots of happy people too. Brought joy into our sitting room.

Sparklefizz Thu 01-Jul-21 15:23:50

Brought joy into our sitting room

Yes, we need the upliftment that the football and tennis are bringing us.

tickingbird Thu 01-Jul-21 16:21:43

Djokovic is welcome to his “weird” ideas - doesn’t bother me. It’s his nastiness and arrogance that I dislike intensely. He’s been known to scream at ballkids, spectators, umpires and his team. If things aren’t going well he always has an excuse and when he pulls off an incredible shot I hate the way he holds his hand to his ear - “tell me how great I am”.

No. Anybody but him to win the tournament.