Gransnet forums

Sport

Ashamed of British fan last night

(152 Posts)
dragonfly46 Thu 08-Jul-21 09:47:16

I never watch football as I hate it but I did watch last night because I am English and proud of my country. It was very exciting and at the end was thrilled with the result and the way the players behaved.

However, having seen that an English fan shone a laser in the Danish's goalkeeper's eye when Kane went to take the penalty kick I was ashamed.

imacmum Thu 08-Jul-21 09:51:24

My thoughts exactly, disgusting behaviour

dragonfly46 Thu 08-Jul-21 09:54:47

Sorry heading should be English fan!!!

timetogo2016 Thu 08-Jul-21 09:55:56

Who ever did it i hope they can be found and banned from ALL football games for life.
Stupidity at it`s best.

Callistemon Thu 08-Jul-21 09:57:10

They are trying to track the fan down and ban him.
Disgraceful behaviour - I hope he (or she) is banned for life when found.

It didn't make any difference as Schmeichel saved that one.

eazybee Thu 08-Jul-21 10:09:04

I thought those things were illegal, or is that when they are aimed at pilots landing planes?

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 08-Jul-21 10:09:58

I don’t follow football. Was a goal scored on this penalty kick? If yes, then surely it should have been nullified ?

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 08-Jul-21 10:13:26

Callistemon

They are trying to track the fan down and ban him.
Disgraceful behaviour - I hope he (or she) is banned for life when found.

It didn't make any difference as Schmeichel saved that one.

Sorry, just saw this. We hate football mainly because we lived through riots in our home town in the seventies, when our team played at home. Quite high in the league at the time I think.
You never forget it. Armed police, on horseback, wrecked trains, shops, residential areas etc. No, could never like football after that.

ElaineI Thu 08-Jul-21 10:15:58

I saw that and it was awful but I suppose no one knows who shone the laser - could have been any nationality but perhaps the game should have been stopped. I don't know what lasers do to people if shone on their face. It wasn't in the eyes.
DiscoDancer1975 goal was scored on rebound from penalty.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Jul-21 10:20:32

Just seen the still of KS’s face the laser seemed to miss his eye fortunately, he went on to save the penalty, Harry Kane scored from the rebound.

Hope they find the person involved.

ElaineI Thu 08-Jul-21 10:21:05

Edit - just watched it in Mail and did go in eyes. Still think ref should have stopped the game and got police involved. Hopefully they will find who did it!

Grandma70s Thu 08-Jul-21 10:22:31

I saw as little as possible, but even what I saw of fans on the news showed that many of them (not all) are deeply uncivilised.

MayBee70 Thu 08-Jul-21 10:22:39

I understand that a small group boo’d when the Danish National anthem was played too: thankfully not as many as boo’d the German National anthem.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Jul-21 10:23:30

Here is the photo from Talk Sport website, seems it caught part of the eye, KS does not seem aware of it though, still looks 100% focused.

With technology they should catch the culprit

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 10:24:45

ElaineI

I saw that and it was awful but I suppose no one knows who shone the laser - could have been any nationality but perhaps the game should have been stopped. I don't know what lasers do to people if shone on their face. It wasn't in the eyes.
DiscoDancer1975 goal was scored on rebound from penalty.

Lasers create temporary blindness. It's only for a very short time, but goalkeepers need very fast reactions and it could have made a difference.

Toadinthehole Thu 08-Jul-21 10:27:32

It doesn’t sound like a fair victory to me. If I was the opposite side, ( was it Denmark?), I’d want a replay from the start. I hate football too, and it’s had a history of being followed by thugs.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Jul-21 10:34:06

Toadinthehole

It doesn’t sound like a fair victory to me. If I was the opposite side, ( was it Denmark?), I’d want a replay from the start. I hate football too, and it’s had a history of being followed by thugs.

Totally fair victory, small percentage of over enthusiastic drunks are not representative of football fans/supporters overall.

lavenderzen Thu 08-Jul-21 10:38:04

Agreed *GrannyGravy", completely fair win.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 08-Jul-21 10:41:12

GrannyGravy13

Toadinthehole

Totally fair victory, small percentage of over enthusiastic drunks are not representative of football fans/supporters overall.

Toad might be like me, it definitely wasn’t a small percentage in the seventies. My son in law, who follows football, seems to think it’s better than it was. I don’t know to be fair, but these things are hard to forget.

lavenderzen Thu 08-Jul-21 10:41:13

But as always on here let's concentrate on the negative!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Jul-21 10:41:30

Even my Danish DiL and GC think the result is fair.

Toadinthehole Thu 08-Jul-21 10:43:07

Thank you disco. I won’t comment any more on here.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Jul-21 10:43:55

I first went to West Ham when I was under 5yrs old, grew up round football players/fans and I get really cross when those who have no interest/never been to a game become armchair experts

25Avalon Thu 08-Jul-21 10:43:56

Fair win but disgraceful behaviour of one fan. Those around him must have surely seen what was going on. Let’s hope one of those shops him and he then gets banned for life. What a total idiot. Just as well the penalty was saved.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Jul-21 10:46:35

25Avalon

Fair win but disgraceful behaviour of one fan. Those around him must have surely seen what was going on. Let’s hope one of those shops him and he then gets banned for life. What a total idiot. Just as well the penalty was saved.

Totally agree, the culprit will be found, either by technology (cameras all round Wembley) or he will be shopped by someone.