Gransnet forums

Sport

Norwegian women's team and beach games rules at the Tokyo Olympics

(43 Posts)
JackyB Tue 27-Jul-21 06:36:30

Women playing beach games (volleyball, handball) have to follow rules by which they have to wear very revealing pants and this has often been a cause of titillation for male spectators. It detracts from the actual sport for which the girls have trained hard.

Now the Norwegian team have chosen to wear shorts and found support from many sportswomen and celebrities. Pink, the singer, has offered to pay the fine for them. I have always admired Pink. The gesture is symbolic really, as the fine is only €1500 but I think it is great that someone has finally stood up to this silliness.

www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57967486

vegansrock Tue 27-Jul-21 06:49:14

Plus the German women gymnastics team have worn unitards with long leggings instead of high cut leotards and caused some negative comments. I can’t believe we are taking about women athletes’ outfits in 2021. Surely they should be allowed to wear whatever they feel comfortable performing in.

tanith Tue 27-Jul-21 07:17:20

I’ve always thought it was ridiculous that the girls have to wear such revealing outfits good on them for rebelling maybe it will bring about a change in the rules. I also believe that the female gymnasts should be able to wear less revealing kit too if they prefer some of them are very very young.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 27-Jul-21 07:27:02

Have you seen the male swimmers and divers, their trunks are minuscule.

Lucca Tue 27-Jul-21 07:46:16

GrannyGravy13

Have you seen the male swimmers and divers, their trunks are minuscule.

BUt is it a rule ?

vegansrock Tue 27-Jul-21 07:51:45

To maximise performance in water, swimsuits need be tight fighting and streamlined. Some male swimmers wear lycra shorts, not speedo type briefs. You don’t need to wear tiny high cut briefs in gymnastics or beach volleyball, if you perform better in them, fine, but it should be a choice.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 27-Jul-21 08:40:32

I do not know enough to comment on the rules and regulations of sports wear in the Olympics, or other sporting bodies.

I just know what I see, and that is everything is getting smaller and tighter.

Lucca Tue 27-Jul-21 08:44:19

“ that is everything is getting smaller and tighter.”. ??that’s happened in my wardrobe…..

GrannyGravy13 Tue 27-Jul-21 08:47:31

Lucca

“ that is everything is getting smaller and tighter.”. ??that’s happened in my wardrobe…..

Oh definitely, my wardrobe is magic it shrinks my clothes ??

Franbern Tue 27-Jul-21 09:00:54

With regard to gymnastics, the British Gymnastics Association has, (at last) given official permission for the Women to wear the sort of clothing they feel comfortable in (obviously must not interfere with what the judges need to see). So, special leotard shorts over their leotard can be worn or unitards, etc. Unfortunately, not yet in the rules for the International body (FIG), think that will happen over next three years.

Gymnastic leotards for the Artistic gymnasts do seem to have got a higher and higher leg cut over the years (makes the legs look longer), but if a gymnast adjusts their leotard during the exercise there is a specific deduction, so this has resulted in many a competitor having to suffer the leotard becoming like a thong. Thanks goodness that will be a thing of the past soon.

As for the Beach Volleyball rules, why are there different dress code for this event for men and women??? Well done to 'Pink'

Jaxjacky Thu 29-Jul-21 14:08:29

Apt.

Chardy Thu 29-Jul-21 14:28:54

For pictures of the Olympic volleyball kit (male and female)
inews.co.uk/sport/olympics/olympics-kit-rules-explained-beach-volleyball-bikinis-size-tokyo-2020-restrictions-1114025

The team must agree the choice. (I think this is the first Olympics where they've had a choice)

Wheniwasyourage Thu 29-Jul-21 15:36:32

Why do women runners always seem to be wearing a top and shorts with a bare bit in the middle while men can run with their torsos fully covered? I can't believe it's anything to do with streamlining.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 29-Jul-21 16:01:30

I assume that women who are encouraged to wear these tiny and revealing shorts must have to shave themselves completely ‘down there’? What if they refuse and come out looking as if they have stuffed an abundance of straw in their knickers?

vegansrock Thu 29-Jul-21 16:55:13

I think you’ll find they remove any unnecessary body hair.

MerylStreep Thu 29-Jul-21 17:05:31

Adam Peaty shaved his moustache off and won his gold medal ?

Sparklefizz Fri 30-Jul-21 10:35:24

Ladyleftfieldlover

I assume that women who are encouraged to wear these tiny and revealing shorts must have to shave themselves completely ‘down there’? What if they refuse and come out looking as if they have stuffed an abundance of straw in their knickers?

And what about when they have a period? They must surely feel more confident with greater coverage.

Lucca Fri 30-Jul-21 10:37:42

Jaxjacky

Apt.

Brilliant

BeverleyJB Fri 30-Jul-21 10:40:02

Sparkle fizz - that was exactly one of the arguments put forward by the Norwegian women's handball team.

SewnSew Fri 30-Jul-21 10:40:22

My family tell me I am a prude, but I always feel it is indecent particularly for very young girls to wear these very skimpy leotards, particularly when doing the splits. They should be properly covered.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 30-Jul-21 10:47:44

A lot of women athletes and dancers find that their periods either become very sparse when they train for an event like the Olympics or stop entirely.

Obviously relying on towels is risky in tight fitting skimpy clothing, so most make do with tampons and hope for the best. Those who do use STs, either in preference to tampax or as a supplement, use the old-fashioned sanitary belts to avoid a towel slipping out and landing in full public view.

Actually, since the late 1960s it has been possible to defer a period until after an event by the judicious use of one or other of the contraceptive pills.

albertina Fri 30-Jul-21 10:47:46

I have never watched women playing beach sports and am amazed that this discussion is going on in 2021. It all sounds sleazy to me. Surely it's a sporting event, not a trip to a strip club.

greenlady102 Fri 30-Jul-21 10:49:08

what is really ridiculous is that Olivia Breen was told that her shorts were too skimpy....again by a man!
www.nytimes.com/2021/07/20/sports/olympics/paralympian-olivia-breen-shorts.html

Corkie91 Fri 30-Jul-21 10:51:39

Good on Pink. being fined for not wearing skimpy outfits is ridiculous

Lucca Fri 30-Jul-21 10:54:51

Weird isn’t it. On the one hand you have reports of primary schoolgirls being told to wear shorts under their dresses and on the other grown women being told to wear briefs to play sport…