Gransnet forums

Sport

Emma Raducanu

(119 Posts)
Grandmadinosaur Mon 06-Sep-21 21:36:43

Has anyone just watched her tonight at the US Open? What an amazing talent and through to the last eight.

Sarnia Sun 12-Sep-21 16:29:23

I am not a tennis fan usually but I watched this match last night. I was impressed not only by the standard of tennis from these 2 teenage girls but the maturity in their speeches after the match. Both Emma and Leyla have bright futures ahead of them.

muse Sun 12-Sep-21 15:01:59

Sorry, if it's been mentioned before, but wow what an achievement Emma: the first unseeded qualifier to win a grand slam tournament.

Lucca Sun 12-Sep-21 14:50:19

MayBee70

I’ve only just realised the colour of her tennis outfit was that of the Romanian flag. Just when I think she can’t go up any higher in my estimation she goes up another notch….

My DS said that as she came on court. Never struck me!

MayBee70 Sun 12-Sep-21 13:32:55

I’ve only just realised the colour of her tennis outfit was that of the Romanian flag. Just when I think she can’t go up any higher in my estimation she goes up another notch….

Squiffy Sun 12-Sep-21 13:30:05

What a breathtaking match! Both young women were amazing, not just in their playing, but in their general demeanour throughout - especially at such a young age. I think Leyla can be forgiven for her brief outburst, the emotions must have been off the scale for both of them!

Visgir1 Sun 12-Sep-21 13:18:56

How proud is the UK, this is an amazing young woman.
Let's rejoice her achievement and well done Amazon, for putting match onto Channel 4.
Laylah was amazing too, both role models for a generation.

JenniferEccles Sun 12-Sep-21 11:12:36

As annodomini mentioned, wasn’t it a refreshing change to watch a tennis match where the women didn’t constantly grunt and scream every time they hit the ball ?

It’s a habit I hate so well done to those two girls for managing to give us an amazing display of tennis without the irritating side effects.

tickingbird Sun 12-Sep-21 10:56:21

Wow! What an achievement. Absolutely amazing what Emma Raducanu has done to qualify and then go on to win. She’ll be seeded from now on so we’ll be seeing a lot more of her. Felt for Leylah but she’ll go onto bigger things too. Roll on the Australian Open in January.

lavenderzen Sun 12-Sep-21 10:46:39

Well done Emma. Absolutely brilliant. A thrilling match.

Callistemon Sun 12-Sep-21 10:18:56

We've seen some amazing women tennis players over the years and the future of it looks good with these two young players who will inspire others as well.

I had to have a wry smile when I heard Martina say that she was advised to give up tennis by a teacher at age 15 and concentrate on something else ?

tanith Sun 12-Sep-21 10:02:15

Such a thrilling match and didn’t she look stunning in her after match outfit, short black dress and clumpy white trainers, so of suitable to her whole demeanour.

dragonfly46 Sun 12-Sep-21 10:01:54

Brilliant - I hope John McEnroe eats his words now!!

FannyCornforth Sun 12-Sep-21 09:59:45

I haven’t read the full thread, and I’m not into sport at all, but it’s fascinating and brilliant how women’s sport really seems to be in its stride now.
It’s great to see women so prominent in all areas of public life

TillyTrotter Sun 12-Sep-21 09:49:11

Taking nothing away from Emma, I do look forward to seeing her play Leyla again, for another battle and who knows which one of them will win at the next meeting?

Lucca Sun 12-Sep-21 09:43:51

I thought Fernandez did very well to regain her composure after her short outburst and losing the match to make an excellent speech too. At 19 years old.

Grandmadinosaur Sun 12-Sep-21 08:21:16

V3ra yes I think a certainty for Sports Personality of the year. She’s mine ?

VANECAM Sun 12-Sep-21 00:24:33

Well done Channel Four!

Well done Emma!

Never thought i’d live to see the day!

Fantastic!

Gwyneth Sun 12-Sep-21 00:04:08

I was sitting on the edge of my seat all through. Congratulations to Emma and what a wonderful speech she made. I’m sure we will be seeing lots more of these two. Great match.

NanKate Sun 12-Sep-21 00:01:02

Fabulous game. Two great players and such good sports.

I shan’t be watching the Men’s Final as I don’t like the two finalists. Come back Rafa you are missed.

I’m tennised out Phew ?

Luckygirl Sat 11-Sep-21 23:59:15

They both played well and acquitted themselves well in all ways.

annodomini Sat 11-Sep-21 23:53:18

Wonderful play from both of them. And, it's worth noticing neither of them squeals, screams or grunts her way through a match, though some of their opponents on the way to the final were squealers.
We are going to hear much of these two in the years to come.

Grannybags Sat 11-Sep-21 23:51:35

That was so exciting! Amazing match. I still can’t believe what just happened!

J52 Sat 11-Sep-21 23:49:07

Brilliant! A wonderful match played by two inspirational young women.

NotAGran55 Sat 11-Sep-21 23:48:46

A remarkable young lady and a formidable opponent. Looking forward to many years of them going head to head .

Lucca Sat 11-Sep-21 23:47:16

ixion

Such mature speeches from both of them, and gracious to their hosts.

My thoughts exactly. Such composure at that age.