Gransnet forums

Sport

Were you popular and sporty in school?

(131 Posts)
biglouis Tue 12-Apr-22 01:07:46

I was a swotty kid and hated sport. There were other subjects I did not particularly enjoy (maths, science. housecraft) but was around the middle of the bunch in my class. I was always slow and clumsy at sport.

I especially hated the way the two most sporty girls were named team captains and had to pick their teams turn and turn about.

Yes - I was always the one left standing at the end.

In contrast my sister was good at sport but not academic. Her life was made difficult because she was not top of the class.

When I was 14 the following conversation took place:-

Sports teacher: your not interested in sport are you Biglouis?

Me: No miss, Im not good at it and I dont see the point

Sports teacher: You cant go through life ignoring the things you dont like Biglouis

Me: Look Miss, Im top of the class in 5 academic subjects and its those I will be putting down on the application forms when I look for a job. Im going to be going into the civil servise or one of the professions. Im not looking for a job as a sports teacher,

Sports teacher: youve got an answer for everything Biglouis. Your a cheeky girl.

Me: no miss, you asked me a question and I answered you.

In spite of being top of the class and always representing my house in various competitions (and mostly winning) I was never chosen as a prefect. I suspect that not being "popular and sporty" had something to do with that.

Elizabeth27 Tue 12-Apr-22 17:49:19

In the first netball game, I played in the first year at grammar school I played really well, had never done well before, and because of this I was voted sports captain and became popular.

I always felt like a fraud and was only popular as it was up to me to pick the teams for all sports even though I didn’t participate in the other sports.

Cabbie21 Tue 12-Apr-22 17:53:05

I started to dislike sport once I realised I was no good at it. I was almost last to be picked for any teams and failed at most of the athletic events.
I was academic and in the top five. Most of my form were involved in sports teams and/ or choir and orchestra.

eazybee Tue 12-Apr-22 17:54:16

I was never chosen as a prefect. I suspect that not being "popular and sporty" had something to do with that.

I suspect being impertinent to a teacher had rather more to do with it.

Kate1949 Tue 12-Apr-22 18:00:13

Unpopular, not noticed really, unsporty and severely bullied. That was me.

Blossoming Tue 12-Apr-22 18:02:39

No, I wasn’t sporty. I was a misfit at grammar school and couldn’t wait to leave. BigLouis I found some teachers hated being given truthful answers but I had principles and I wouldn’t lie to please people.

When I returned to further education a few years later I took to studying and student life like a duck to water. Probably because we were treated like human beings.

Hetty58 Tue 12-Apr-22 18:14:32

Yes and yes - still I wasn't good at long-distance running, more of a sprinter. We can't all be good at everything. Still, I found it all too easy, while others struggled.

I'd often get into trouble for chatting in class - due to pure boredom. Mostly, school just held me back and wasted my time. I wasn't challenged, so still a 'misfit'.

One theory of education is that school just prepares you for the mind-numbing boredom of work!

BBbevan Tue 12-Apr-22 18:32:09

I was quiet and slightly frail at grammar school. I had been very ill and was not supposed to do sports, but the P.E. teacher ignored that. Hated athletics and gym. I liked art best and went on to do that with absolutely no encouragement from the art teacher .

M0nica Tue 12-Apr-22 20:35:57

I loved being educated and learning, but didn't like the school I was at. Fairly early on one or two of the teachers took against me. I had terrible writing - still do have, but dyspraxia wasn't known about then, so the causes were not understood and I was consistently given low marks because of my writing and dismissed as lazy and not very bright.

I decided that I knew what I was capable of and I just set my target as getting plenty of O'levels. Nobody noticed that I always did far better in exams than in normal school work, so I just hunkered down, took the slings and fortunes of school life in my stride.

O' levels came, lots of teachers were downplaying my chances, but I knew what I was capable of and I passed every O level I sat, most of them quite well. One teacher was so angry about this, especially as I had a good pass in the subject she taught, that she refuse to even acknowledge my existence.

All of sudden I was the golden girl. I applied for university, everyone was convinced I would be studying for a history degree. I just kept quiet, until in the last summer term, I told my teachers that I wasn't going to study history, I was going to study economics. No one had ever done that before, it caused real consternation, but by then I was nearly through with school, so I didn't give a damn.

Tusue Tue 12-Apr-22 20:46:51

No and No from me too, I hated sports at school and I was rubbish at them all,to make things worse my sister was clever at most subjects and I was ALWAYS compared to her in every subject,she was however not a friendly person and I had plenty of mates and spent my school days talking -too much according to my teachers.Also my best mate at school was the prettiest girl who all the boys fancied and all the other girls wanted to be like, but she was my mate and we're still friends now.she was pretty ,clever and sporty ,I was her plain side kick I think.
Mind you I’ve done well for myself ,happy marriage, healthy happy family and a good professional role so I agree being sporty is not all it’s cracked up to be

Ailidh Wed 13-Apr-22 06:16:19

I was definitely never sporty, a wee fat blob. Although one term the class voted me the Gym Prefect, just to annoy the games mistress. I thought it was funny too.

I was always ìn the "someone's got to have her" group for team games but as I had not the smallest interest or ambition in sport worried me not at all,

I had a little group of friends, and I assume I was popular, it never occurred to me that I wasn't.

BlueBalou Wed 13-Apr-22 07:11:24

I was never sporty, always last to be chosen for a team and horribly bullied at senior school.
I had absolutely no chance of being a prefect, let alone head girl, because I wasn’t Roman Catholic. It was a very strict Catholic school and the fee-paying ‘non-Catholics’ were second class citizens, to be pitied and hopefully converted ☹️

Allsorts Wed 13-Apr-22 07:22:16

Most definitely not.,I was good at Netball, that’s it. I was deputy head girl but never knew why. Happiest day was when I left school, could make my own choices. Didn’t ever feel a part of the in crowd, even now I prefer person to person and few close friends that I’ve had for ever. You wouldn’t see me at a hen party. I seem confident but in fact I’m not.

argymargy Wed 13-Apr-22 07:55:53

Not top of the class in English though, eh biglouis? I suspect you weren’t chosen as a prefect because you weren’t seen as a role model. Popularity isn’t something to be disparaged - if someone is popular they can influence for good (as well as evil!). I was middle of the road, which is just fine. It’s a bit odd that you hated that the most sporty girls were team captains - what else would you expect?!

PamelaJ1 Wed 13-Apr-22 08:49:42

I was middle of the road, quite good at netball and tennis but mum never thought she would be in the players box at Wimbledon!
I was reasonably popular I think, I had lots of friends anyway but I can’t remember really thinking about it.
There is a difference between being academically excellent and being sporty. Being rubbish at sport can be a very public humiliation. Not getting to grips with maths equations is a little more private.

MiniMoon Wed 13-Apr-22 11:03:20

I wasn't one of the popular girls, but I was sporty. I loved hockey and athletics. I represented my school in high jump and 400m hurdles.
I went to a secondary modern school, so the emphasis wasn't so much on academic work, but on preparing us for the working world.
I did enough to get by. My learning all came after I left school.
I entered nurse training at our local psychiatric hospital and from a class of 13 was one of only 5 who qualified.

Caleo Wed 13-Apr-22 11:42:08

None of the senior girls at school was sporty and all disliked hockey to some degree. Each of us was popular in some way or other. I was not aware that anyone gave a moment's consideration to whether or not she was popular.

It would worry me if popularity was considered a virtue at any school.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 14-Apr-22 11:02:58

Yes, very sporty. Long distance running, hurdling, hockey, swimming. Paying for it now though with my knees!!

Academically, I was average. In the top stream, but middle of the class. Went into nursing until I had my children, and then it was in unpaid work for the next 25 years!

Still swim and cycle.

Mouse Fri 15-Apr-22 11:31:26

No and no. I wanted to play sports but had no idea of the rules etc. my primary school had had no sports provision. I soon became the girl last to be chosen or left on the sidelines. PE/sports became just another opportunity for the bullies who plagued me throughout high school.

Amalegra Fri 15-Apr-22 11:35:17

I have mixed memories of school. Much of it was good but cookery, art, needlework and sports I loathed as I considered them, rightly or wrongly a total waste of time! The silly PE teacher would not permit those short sighted children like me to wear our glasses whilst playing outdoor games. If you have ever tried to spot a hockey or tennis ball when you can barely make out the face of the person next to you then you will know it makes for a lousy experience. Can’t believe they were so stupid! I liked swimming despite my handicap but it was never picked up on. I was a keen rider from the age of three until my teenage years until studying took over. Certainly I was put off sport for life through the ignorant and unimaginative way of going about things by poor PE teachers! I was ridiculed a bit by those sporty girls but knew my misery would end in the classroom. I was very academic, easily the top of the class and the only one of my year to gain entrance to a blue brick university. So I have never let it bother me! Rather lazy now, but luckily I have a fast metabolism or something so have never been forced to shift my carcass for vanity reasons which is possibly the only thing which would have forced me to actually move faster than a jog! Apart from walking which I love and playing football with my (non critical!) young grandson I am afraid I still avoid, avoid!

BarbieB Fri 15-Apr-22 11:36:01

What an interesting post. I went to boarding school and did not achieve or enjoy anything particularly academic. I did enjoy PE and athletics though. I did make some good friends and my best friend at school is still one of my best friends now, not bad considering we have been friend for 57 years!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 15-Apr-22 11:39:13

I was reasonably popular at school, although for health reasons I was not allowed to do outdoor sports in the winter term.

I was fairly good at gym and loved dancing, but when I changed schools aged 12 my new school did not do Scottish country dancing as part of gym lessons, so no dancing.

I was good at languages, history, sewing, music, arithmetic, but hopeless at maths, which I never could see the point of - why on earth should you ever need to battle with (a+b) - c etc.? Or calculate the angles in a triangle? You can simply measure them for heaven's sake.

I probably would have been a prefect, if I hadn't left school before the 6th form, as I was a bossy boots. What a hideously old-fashioned idea putting the oldest pupils in charge of monitering break etc. this should be part of the teachers' job.

Our prefects were little dictators, and how they loved it!

nanna8 Fri 15-Apr-22 11:43:57

I was a fast runner so I quite liked athletics but I couldn’t be bothered with sport really except I didn’t mind tennis. I wasn’t a conformist but I always had a group of friends. I didn’t ever suck up to teachers and had a bit of an authority problem, looking back. Couldn’t stand snobby girls or people putting on airs and graces. Nothing much changes …

Bluecat Fri 15-Apr-22 11:48:10

I was terrible at PE and sports of any kind, and absolutely loathed it all. I skived out of it as much as possible.

I also hated domestic science (though I have always enjoyed cooking as an adult.) Maths was a weak subject too but I didn't hate it. I was good at French (though shy about speaking) and history and always top in English. I wasn't popular.

I missed a lot of school due to illness and that didn't help. I left at 15, after being so ill that I had missed nearly a whole year, though the teachers had expected me to go to university. I went to work and never, for a moment, wished I was back at school. I still dream about that sometimes and wake up horrified!

Anneeba Fri 15-Apr-22 11:49:01

Loved sports and academic subjects, but before you hurl a bucket of fish heads over me I hated being at home ? Sports allowed me to put off the time I had to leave school. Invariably a lone soul on the sports fields trying to raise my personal best, all the while with a sinking feeling about what I'd find behind the front door. Similarly being able to leave and go to university was a great motivator. Moving into halls on the first day I heard everyone else moaning about the tiny space and 2'6" bed
Me, I was delighted to have my own door that I could lock and be in charge of myself.

albertina Fri 15-Apr-22 11:52:22

Not popular. Virtually invisible I think. This made me look out for invisible children when I became a primary school teacher.

I was sporty at primary school because we had a wonderfully inspiring teacher who let us do all sorts of stuff in the PE hall that we probably wouldn't be allowed to do now.

I was in the school swimming team simply because I was the only person who could get from one end of a pool doing butterfly with dolphin legs. Never won a race, just had a go each time.