Gransnet forums

Sport

Australia vs England Women's World Cup semi-final

(58 Posts)
DaisyAnneReturns Wed 16-Aug-23 09:12:20

Will you be watching?

I have just seen a picture of my DS and family, all dressed up and off to see the match - not all wearing the same coloursgrin.

All but American family awake now. Australian family too nervous to make predictions. Does anyone on here have thoughts about the final score?

Kim19 Wed 16-Aug-23 13:06:44

Watched it from start to finish. Excellent game.

IamMaz Wed 16-Aug-23 13:07:55

Yay!!!!!

I’m currently in Spain so the final should be very interesting!!!!

Soozikinzi Wed 16-Aug-23 13:11:58

Brilliant really enjoyed it !

Visgir1 Wed 16-Aug-23 13:14:12

How fantastic so proud of this team.
These women are a amazing role models to our younger generation.
They can win this.

Missiseff Wed 16-Aug-23 13:15:34

What. A. Win!!!!! 👏👏

Foxygloves Wed 16-Aug-23 13:25:18

Breathless! Wow! 👏👏👏👏👏👏🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿⚽️⚽️⚽️

DaisyAnneReturns Wed 16-Aug-23 13:27:02

What a great crowd.

Lexisgranny Wed 16-Aug-23 13:29:42

Brilliant Lionesses. Best of luck for Sunday!

Staceyann Wed 16-Aug-23 13:34:06

Woo woo! Yes!!

Mollygo Wed 16-Aug-23 13:35:22

Yes!!! A great match and a really great result!

DaisyAnneReturns Wed 16-Aug-23 13:35:54

I wish I could show you the latest video but can't with the family in it. They are in the crowd which is singing Sweet Caroline. My son is grinning from ear to ear but they all look very happy.

CatsCatsCats Wed 16-Aug-23 13:54:33

That was such a good match!

dustyangel Wed 16-Aug-23 14:07:39

Fantastic!

gillgran Wed 16-Aug-23 14:35:33

Well done the Lioness's, a great result! Good luck to them for the final on Sunday.

Arto1s Wed 16-Aug-23 19:02:52

Hurrah! The Lionesses are through to the Final! The only problem for me is that the kick-off time here in the States will be 3am! Don’t think I can do itsad

Callistemon21 Wed 16-Aug-23 19:53:33

Arto1s

Hurrah! The Lionesses are through to the Final! The only problem for me is that the kick-off time here in the States will be 3am! Don’t think I can do itsad

We were out this morning so recorded the match. I didn't turn on the TV or car radio, didn't look on the internet and watched the recording not knowing the score.

Callistemon21 Wed 16-Aug-23 19:55:36

DaisyAnneReturns

I wish I could show you the latest video but can't with the family in it. They are in the crowd which is singing Sweet Caroline. My son is grinning from ear to ear but they all look very happy.

England or Australia?

There was a difference of opinion in our family!
And another DD said she'd support Australia as Wales didn't qualify 😲

Iam64 Wed 16-Aug-23 20:00:05

What a great match, such skill, determination from both teams. England deserved to win. Sunday here we come

Redrobin51 Wed 16-Aug-23 21:37:47

I was to busy watching that excellent footie match to be on Gransnet. I am a bug footie fan and love watching the women. They are very skilled, normally good sports. You don't see the rolling around feigning injury that you get a lot in the mens game and it is rare for them to question the referee which is so refreshing. I've noticed more and more men in the crowd and it is refreshing to see whole fa ilies enjoying themselves. Whatever happens in the final I am extremely proud of our ladies. I would have loved to have played football.x

Grandma70s Wed 16-Aug-23 21:51:00

I’m sure women should play football if they want to, but I have no desire to watch it. It just means there’s even more football on TV instead of proper programmes.

My granddaughter’s junior school played football, but I don’t think the senior school she’s heading for does. I don’t think she cares. I’m just grateful I didn’t have to, though it couldn’t be worse than lacrosse.

Floradora9 Thu 17-Aug-23 22:13:51

I am so sick of it . Now they are wondering about a bank holiday if they win. Will all the UK get it ? It's only a game for goodness sake .

DaisyAnneReturns Thu 17-Aug-23 22:51:31

Callistemon21

DaisyAnneReturns

England or Australia?

This was my earlier answer Callistemon21

My son is doing his bit and supporting The Lionesses, DIL and GD have always support the Matildas. GS was spit - they all have duel nationality. He eventually went with his mum and sister, which seems right to me.

I have just had a video from their seats. It looks amazing. I'm not a team game enthusiast. Generally, if you want to win in these things I'd rather let you. But I am so excited for them.

Kate1949 Thu 17-Aug-23 22:59:09

I'm with you Floradora. For goodness sake indeed.

Callistemon21 Thu 17-Aug-23 23:14:30

DaisyAnneReturns

Callistemon21

DaisyAnneReturns

England or Australia?

This was my earlier answer Callistemon21

My son is doing his bit and supporting The Lionesses, DIL and GD have always support the Matildas. GS was spit - they all have duel nationality. He eventually went with his mum and sister, which seems right to me.

^I have just had a video from their seats. It looks amazing. I'm not a team game enthusiast. Generally, if you want to win in these things I'd rather let you. But I am so excited for them.^

DD said she decided the best team should win, she shouldn't be partisan.

Now England to win, Australia for the bronze!

I probably wouldn't normally watch football but the women are so much better than the men and don't cry like babies, rolling around on the ground in agony if someone steps on their toe.

Iam64 Fri 18-Aug-23 07:55:20

The anti footie moaners have arrived 😏🤦‍♀️. It’s been an absolutely cracking World Cup. England’s team a joy to watch
I’m watching on Sunday with family - one of my daughters started a petition at her primary school for a girl’s football team, the male deputy head who was in charge of sports had refused her request. She got parents to sign her petition, the girls got their team- result
Come on england