Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What are you wearing - to stay warm?

(84 Posts)
JessM Wed 14-Dec-11 18:58:53

It has arrived at last. Winter. Sitting here next to the radiator, typing with cold fingers.
"Style and beauty" not top of my list when it is this cold. Debated whether to put this under "Health".
But in my C/H well insulated house, in which I have closed all curtains and internal doors to help temp, I am wearing:
Cotton vesty thing, merino long sleeved jumper (Katmandu, I bought it in NZ), tomato coloured fleece plus cotton leggings and fleece trousers. And the usual underwear and socks.
And I still have cold hands.
What to other gransnetters wear to keep warm (or try to) when shlepping around the house?

greenmossgiel Wed 14-Dec-11 19:05:06

I usually find that having the heating on not too high (to keep costs down), but putting on the 'radiant' fire keeps me warm. I wear socks, jeans, and a t-shirt under long jumpers that cover my bum. Sometimes I also wear a thin scarf at my neck too! smile

MrsJamJam Wed 14-Dec-11 19:10:00

Treated myself to a pair of cashmere socks in John Lewis recently because another browsing customer said "I've got those and they are bliss". And she is quite right, it's heaven to have warm feet.

I know winter has arrived when DH lights the wood burner in the kitchen when he gets up to make the tea in the morning. I know, I'm a very spoilt woman wink

Notsogrand Wed 14-Dec-11 20:01:59

Have you tried fingerless gloves indoors Jess? Or even wrist warmers?

JessM Wed 14-Dec-11 20:31:43

hee hee. I can guess what my DH would say... And then he would tell me to turn the heating up. They have warmed up now. smile
There have been times in colder houses when I have worn a lot more indoors.

Notsogrand Wed 14-Dec-11 20:44:31

I wear a hat in the house when it's very cold!

HildaW Wed 14-Dec-11 20:48:38

Slipper boots (old sheepskin ones that I live in from Sept to March)
Long socks.
long sleeved 'vests' from M&S - like thermals but very silky
Wool jumpers.....and a fleece waistcoat if really cold or dashing in and out
Thin scarf draped elegantly about neck....ooer get me!
have been known to wear fingerless gloves in house but certainly wear them when out nowadays they are brill, I bought some long ones that go right up to elbow.
Jeans

greenmossgiel Wed 14-Dec-11 20:49:24

My father used to say that my mother put more clothes on to go to bed than she wore during the day...thick socks, heavy wincyette nighty and thick cardigan. Of course, there was no central heating and the only fire was in the living room. But my mum did look a cracker!! grin

Ariadne Wed 14-Dec-11 21:21:27

M&S jogging bottoms, fine knit camisole (Scots GRans - DH refers to it as my "simmit") jumper and drap-y Cardigan. And, HildaW, my faithful sheepsking booties! That's usually enough.

Libradi Wed 14-Dec-11 21:32:25

Slipper boots keep my feet nice and warm and this year I have started wearing long socks for the 1st time since school days, bought some lovely ones from Tesco in the sale, they keep your calves nice and warm. Long sleeve black thermal vest under a long sleeve top with a cardy and if it's really cold I have been known to put on my black thermal long Johns smile oh and either trousers or jogging bottoms.

jogginggirl Wed 14-Dec-11 21:54:48

M&S thermals.............they are sooooo........ cosy grin

glammanana Wed 14-Dec-11 22:56:53

During the day if at home all day I will wear track suit with fleecy lining that I bought in Primark 3yrs ago got one set in grey and one in black with t-shirt and slipper boots,when out either levi's and sweater with leather boots or uggs and wax coat to keep out wind big scalf and away we go,nice and warm,the apartment is not to big so is easy to keep warm,I would dread to think how we would be able to keep the previous house we had warm it was so big we have certainly made a good choice living here.smile

Mishap Wed 14-Dec-11 22:57:58

Out here in the middle of nowhere I would freeze in some of the proposed gear - here's what I wear.....

Pants, tights, wool socks, warm trousers, sheepskin long slipper-boots, a thick vest that poppers under the crotch (great for keeping your middle warm), polo neck thick jumper, another wool jumper, and a woolen fleece-lined jacket!

Fight you way through that lot Romeo!!!

jogginggirl Wed 14-Dec-11 23:26:54

Mishap grin grin

Annobel Wed 14-Dec-11 23:45:50

At home, M&S thermal leggings, Landsend fleece jumper and fleece trousers, socks and M&S furry bootees. To go out, trousers over the leggings and long-ish jumper with faux sheepskin coat on top. A hat is essential if it's really cold.

NannaAnna Thu 15-Dec-11 02:21:06

Right now, having got in from work at 10.45 PM and straight out of my uniform, I have on fleecy jogging bottoms, and up top a long-sleeved (and long bum-covering) T- shirt, thin jumper, zip-up fleece, topped off with long, thick and heavy woollen coat!! CH is still on, but with the wind howling through my old, single-glazed windows there is a distinct chill sad

susiecb Thu 15-Dec-11 16:50:07

I cant say I like wearing lots of clothes but I do sit with ablanket on my knees and feet in the evenings and go to bed when the heating gos of at 9.30 with either Charlie or Lola (My hot water bottles)

JessM Thu 15-Dec-11 17:49:29

smile I use blankets as well. poor circulation i think. My scientific DH says "how can your feet be so much colder than the ambient temperature"

nutmeg Mon 16-Jan-12 12:36:13

I sympathise,JessM, poor circulation is my problem, At bedtime, my DH used to say,"you must be the only woman in the world with icy feet in the middle of June!' I have been a widow for a long time now and have to make do with two hot water bottles, much better than an electric blanket. It has suddenly occurred to me, are they still available? I haven't heard them mentioned for years.

jingl Mon 16-Jan-12 12:45:07

Why am I not cold?! Have on a per una burnout blouse (thin and 3/4 length sleeves) and a medium thickness acrylic jumper on top. Turned heating right down at 10! Opened an upstairs window for a few minutes to air the place! Mind you, living room is sunny.

Butternut Mon 16-Jan-12 12:48:37

When I went walking this morning (the sun was shining and it was fabulous) but -6C, I wore:
On Top:
Ancient vest
Long sleeved, bum hugging t-shirt
Old Pink Fleece (no, I don't do pink as a rule but it is warm)
Cream cotton anorak, which my son wore when he was 15 - he's now 35
Scarf
Hat
Gloves

On Bottom:
Big knickers
My husband's v. old thermal long-johns
Jeans
Knee socks with 'no nonsense' written on them
Walking shoes

So far I've taken off the anorak and walking shoes.......

jingl Mon 16-Jan-12 13:03:18

That is cold Butternut!

Butternut Mon 16-Jan-12 13:07:54

Jep! Just lit the fire upstairs, and tweeked the central heating, so am warming up. Are you cooling down any jings?

What is a burnout blouse? hmm

bagitha Mon 16-Jan-12 13:23:47

cotton camisole, long-sleeved cotton tee, woolly jumper, cotton knickers, cotton churidars, cord trousers, thick hiking socks, cashmere legwarmers, sheepskin slippers that cover my ankles. Just about right. I'll be warmer when I get back to my sewing room as I'm moving between the machine and the ironing board, so will probably take the jumpers off and change to crocs on my feet.

bagitha Mon 16-Jan-12 13:24:38

jumper singular.

Yes, what's a burnout blouse?