Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Perfumes of yesteryear

(178 Posts)
rozzo55 Fri 22-Feb-13 14:56:15

Does anyone remember a Coty perfume named 'Chypre'? I remember loving it.It had what I think they call woody tones.
If you remember it, do you know of any current perfumes that are similar?

numberplease Fri 22-Feb-13 15:51:40

rozzo55, have you tried googling it, maybe it`s still being made, some of the older perfumes have made a comeback.

granjura Fri 22-Feb-13 15:59:03

I still love Je Reviens.

soop Fri 22-Feb-13 16:31:23

Me too! smile

annodomini Fri 22-Feb-13 17:12:45

I used to buy Chypre, though I preferred l'Aimant. You might try Ebay. I found Ma Griffe there and it's still one of my favourites.

gracesmum Fri 22-Feb-13 19:53:55

Nostalgic names! I always found L'Aimant lovely and soft, Ma Griffe made me feel very sophisticated and Je Reviens was my favourite when I went to university! DD bought me Chanel No 5 perfume, body lotion etc for Christmas and I had always thought of that as very "grown up" but then I realised, heck if you can't wear a grown up perfume at 65 when can you? Loving it now!

wisewoman Fri 22-Feb-13 20:11:18

granjura I am another Je Reviens fan. I have been wearing it since I was 16 (which is nearly50 years!) It is not so easy to get now but small independent chemists still stock it, thank goodness.

shysal Fri 22-Feb-13 20:23:05

I have been wearing Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass since the boy I fancied when In the sixth form mentioned that his sister used it. It was hard to find at one time, but has re-appeared on line. I don't smell it on myself any more, but have been unable to find anything else I like.I would like to find a fresh soap-like fragrance.

LullyDully Sat 23-Feb-13 12:55:45

I loved Je Reviens until I became allergic to all perfume. I also remember something called Aqua Manda in a dark flowery packaging. Sharp fruity smell if I remember right.

annsixty Sat 23-Feb-13 13:36:07

My favourite when younger was Mitsouko by Geurlain, havn't seen it for ages.

frida Sat 23-Feb-13 13:43:55

My mam used to wear' Midnight' by Dorothy Gray in the 1960's and I loved it but it smelled horrible on me. I must admit to loving 'Charlie' when it came out , the advert showed a girl in a trouser suit, bobbed haircut, stepping out,looking very trendy.

granjura Sat 23-Feb-13 13:57:46

Loved 'Ma Griffe' too - got one of my colleagues all confused on a trip once- as his wife always wore the same.

Sook Sat 23-Feb-13 13:58:45

annsixty It is one of my favourite perfumes and still available. I live in South Cheshire and have purchased it from larger branches of The CO OP pharmacy.

soop Sat 23-Feb-13 14:03:30

'Ma Griffe'...yes! 'Madame Rochas' and 'Caleche'. My mother wore 'Evening in Paris'. Heavy stuff. I can smell it as I type. 'Tweed' smells a lot like Tom cat's wee on me - hence I can't wear it. hmm

Grammar Sat 23-Feb-13 14:11:16

'Ma Griffe' was one of my early favourites and later 'Jolie Madame' by Balmain.

gracesmum Sat 23-Feb-13 14:14:39

We're classy, we are! smile

soop Sat 23-Feb-13 14:16:56

'Femme'...smile

annsixty Sat 23-Feb-13 14:22:41

Sook I used to live in Cheshire and although still in the same house now live in Greater Manchester --remember boundary changes? Are your Co-ops within reach of Stockport?

Galen Sat 23-Feb-13 15:03:00

I used femme for ages until they changed the formula, I then changed to jean Poitou Joy!

POGS Sat 23-Feb-13 15:14:25

My gran loved 4711. I know nothing about it, probably the cheapest of the cheap and not classed as a perfume.

I have a fully stopped bottle of hers that I keep to remind me of her. No idea what it smells like (could pong for all I know) confused

I have entered 4 7 11 on lottery tickets for good luck, shouldn't have bothered but hey ho. ONE DAY she might bring me luck. wink

annodomini Sat 23-Feb-13 15:15:34

annsixty, where are you? I'm in Poynton which has managed to stay in Cheshire, though now Cheshire East. I used to be able to get retro perfumes like Je Reviens in the late lamented TJ Hughes in Macclesfield and haven't quite finished the Blue Grass I bought there shortly before it closed. I used to like Revlon's Aquamarine too. My favourite has, for some time, been Samsara by Guerlain and I think I have educated my family accordingly!

POGS Sat 23-Feb-13 15:16:53

What Femme Fresh?

annsixty Sat 23-Feb-13 15:56:01

annodomini I'm in Hazel Grove, almost shouting distance from you. I too liked TJ Hughes but dont get to Macc much now as I dont drive any more. Some of their household goods were so good and very well priced. Yes a sad loss.Samsara does not smell nice on me,neither does Amarige which I think is also Guerlain.

annodomini Sat 23-Feb-13 16:09:04

Yes, almost next door, annsixty. When we have another meet-up, I could pick you up.

Ana Sat 23-Feb-13 16:19:47

No, POGS, not Femfresh! grin I used to wear 'Femme' too - can't remember why I stopped...