Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Women who wear the trousers?

(110 Posts)
gracesmum Tue 05-Mar-13 22:03:08

I am beginning to wonder if skirts are on the way out except for formal occasions - weddings, dinner dances etc. Looking around I would say that most women of whatever age wear trousers - formal trousers, jeans, tweedy trousers, leggings/jeggings - but trousers
I have about 6 winter skirts I believe (got rid of a load last Autumn to the charity shop) but I have not worn even one of them for at least 2 winters.
Do you still wear skirts? If so, why and when? Or are we moving towards a fundamental change in womenswear?

Mamie Sat 09-Mar-13 16:11:08

I go bare legged from Easter to October. Also for part of Jan / Feb this year. Remember that boring great big golden sun every day Grannyknot?
Never mind snow next week!

janeainsworth Sat 09-Mar-13 16:12:41

Ana I thought it was that the 'a' was superfluous....
#abitthickattimes
Feel free to stick your oar in, we don't mind the ripples wink

Mamie Sat 09-Mar-13 16:13:06

Funnygran I love the skirts in Laura Ashley, especially in the sale!

Grannyknot Sat 09-Mar-13 16:39:31

Yes Mamie I'm still in shock and missing the sunshine very much smile

Mamie Sat 09-Mar-13 17:04:25

Actually really warm and sunny today and have been out for a walk bare-legged. Daffs, birds singing, all spring systems go - until tomorrow that is...

Deedaa Sat 09-Mar-13 21:35:53

I have several mid calf summer skirts which I can wear without tights but my legs really aren't up to baring in a shorter skirt. White and flabby with lumps and broken veins -not a pretty sight. My default setting for summer is linen trousers with a t shirt or floaty top.
In winter I wear mainly trousers and occasionally skirts with thick tights. The main problem is the lack of decent skirts in the shops! Mine are all several years old, and some are even older

Humbertbear Sat 09-Mar-13 23:21:29

I have numerous pairs of leggings and jeggings and wear them with jumpers and dresses. I have been to two black tie do's recently and wore evening trousers to both. My legs rarely if ever see the light of day. Skirts were a nuisance at work as they got caught in my chair and are in practical and cold at home.

dottilind Mon 11-Mar-13 18:50:41

I agree with everone who say that trousers are more comfortable than skirts and easier to wear. I am 71 but I dress fairly young, jeans, leggings etc. I am a size 12, but I was so pleased when they brought in elasticated waists on the jeans and trousers, as now I can cover my tum as well as my bum, hipsters were a bloody pain.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 12-Mar-13 15:35:17

Always trousers/jeans, but I do like them to come up to my waist and, unlike you, dottilind, I don't like elasticated waists! (This is probably because I have rather too much waist and the elastic has to stretch quite far...)

ClairBear Wed 13-Mar-13 09:56:05

Oh, my baby fat made my in-confident to wear a skirt... Well, anyway trousers are my favorite, it is so convenient to wear them instead of various skirts. wink

annodomini Wed 13-Mar-13 10:25:26

I appreciate semi-elasticated waistbands because my waist is a larger size than my hips (16/14). I like the range of sizes in the Cotton Traders catalogue. They have precise leg lengths, unlike M&S whose medium size has changed over the last few years.

Treebee Fri 15-Mar-13 11:18:12

I like to wear skirts sometimes, especially in summer when I like to get my legs out.
I do need pockets in skirts though, for tissues, keys etc and sometimes despair of finding them in the shops. If they do have pockets they are often too short.

BoomerBabe Fri 15-Mar-13 13:08:23

Love my jeans, don't wear skirts. Dumpy purplen8? Who told you that? I'm 5'!!

MercedesYang Sat 16-Mar-13 03:17:52

I wear skirts occasionally,perhaps in summer, cause the season here is too hot, we can not stop swearing, it might be cooler to wear a skirt... Well, in other seasons I prefer to trousers very much, it is convenient to wear them walking, jumping or running on the street. wink

Madrigal Sat 16-Mar-13 13:05:53

I mostly wear skirts, and quite short ones too, with leggings or opaques. I find skirts are much warmer in the winter, and they look nice with boots or penny loafers.

I might wear jeans when I food shop, work in the garden or slip out for a coffee. For preference, I hang around the house in leggings. I love leggings and they will never go out of style for me. smile

MaryXYX Sat 16-Mar-13 18:59:59

My winter skirts are mid calf to ankle length, and they come from charity shops. I do have to be very careful about the "age appropriate" aspect, but I would like to wear somewhat shorter skirts.

As the charity shops seem to be stocked and patronised by Grannies - of the variety I am struggling not to be - does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried Primark but they seem to be aiming at my daughters rather than me.

Enviousamerican Sat 16-Mar-13 23:31:40

I hope I don't slip up and say the american word for trousers!

janeainsworth Sun 17-Mar-13 11:00:15

envious grin
My American DiL used the p-word on Facebook the other day and I was tempted to ask her whether she was referring to her trousers or her knickers.
I refrained in the end, fearing that she might not be amused smile

adamsmith3450 Wed 20-Mar-13 12:39:42

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

glassortwo Wed 20-Mar-13 12:50:51

reported

Wheniwasyourage Thu 21-Mar-13 16:14:45

Have you noticed that most women seem to travel in trousers now, or is it just those who travel by train? I love Rohan bags for travelling (not that we do the mountaineering expeditions or tropical exploration that seems to be what the Rohan catalogue expects you to do) because of the pockets. I never carry a handbag anyway, but a secure, zipped pocket is ideal for purse and passport. (That's purse in our sense, envious, not yours - the pockets aren't that big!)

janeainsworth Fri 22-Mar-13 08:58:25

Whenwasyourage I'm a Rohan fan too, but I always wear skirts on trains and planes - find them much more comfy!

MargaretX Fri 22-Mar-13 09:09:59

I wear jeans and linen cropped trousers in summer. At home I wear a skirt on very hot days, mostly ones I made myself years ago.
I also have very warm woollen trousers for when it's icy cold. We play Bridge in a pub and the landlord saves on heating, and we all have things in our wardrobe for sitting in the cold for 3 hours. I even wear long johns and vests for Bridge afternoons.
I get the feeling that in Germany skirts are coming back into fashion. Short skirts in vibrant colours so I'll be passing on that one.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 27-Mar-13 17:54:54

Going back a few posts to envious's mention of the American word for trousers, I wouldn't use it myself for trousers, just for knickers, but the one I can't stand is "panties" for knickers. It sounds so patronising, as if adult women have to wear something delicate and frilly next to the skin. (If you have as much skin as I do, you can't be doing with anything which can be described by a diminutive to cover it properly. hmm)

Enviousamerican Wed 27-Mar-13 18:13:50

Yes,wheniwasyourage,I find it sounds derogatory,and I grew up hearing it!