Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Small Mother of Bride (MOB) outfits

(25 Posts)
yummygranny Mon 16-Sep-13 10:29:57

I find it difficult enough at the best of times to find age appropriate clothes in my size. I'm a 1960s size 10, as we all know now called an 8, a 6, or even, sometimes, a 4! I haven't changed size, but the sizes have and shopping is a nightmare. Now that I'm going to be a MOB, I have my most difficult challenge. Forget the designer MOB outfits, which often don't start at less than a 10; I'm finding it difficult even to create my own outfit - perhaps with a sleeved dress and matching coat (it'll be early March). Is it really so much to ask? Anyone know where I can find some elegant stuff, starting, preferably, at size 6 or 8 (just in case the 8s are big which they often are)? confused

hespian Mon 16-Sep-13 10:48:03

Congratulations on being MOB. A pleasure I hope I have still to come but I have been MOG twice!! I am also small and found it best to use an excellent local dressmaker. Do you have anyone locally? If so you could base your outfit on a style that you know really suits you and you can choose a colour/fabric in a favourite colour that blends with the rest of the bridal party. Could be a really fun project for you over these winter months. Enjoy your very special day.

ninathenana Mon 16-Sep-13 16:33:53

Had a quick google (bored [smiile] ). Debenhams do occasion wear starting at size 6 if you search petite.

HildaW Mon 16-Sep-13 16:51:44

Jaeger do size 8 and have a lovely lace top classic dress in at the moment. None of their stuff is typical MOB but its always well cut and classical.

Will declare and interest. I used to work in their Oxford shop a few years ago and still pop in for a natter when I'm passing!

janeainsworth Mon 16-Sep-13 16:55:47

Ooh Hilda [envious emoticon]
I got a lovely tangerine-coloured shirtwaister dress in the Jaeger sale this summer less than half-price, it's lovely.
Yummygranny I would also advise a dressmaker smile

janeainsworth Mon 16-Sep-13 16:59:03

While we're on the subject, is it ok for the MOB to decree to the MOG that it is not ok to wear a hat?
#justasking

glammanana Mon 16-Sep-13 17:00:07

yummygranny I have just spent the past year sorting my outfit for this coming Fridays as Mother of Groom and I took the very knowledgeable advice from our dear soop and went down the e-bay route,they have MOB outfits from size 6 and both the outfits I bought where in mint condition well worth a look,also have a look at the Frank Usher collection he does from size 6 also Jacques Vert do fabulous dresses/coats/balero's all matching best of luck.

HildaW Mon 16-Sep-13 17:02:21

Any rules need to come direct from the bride methinks.......then everyone can just roll their eyes and say.....'well its her day so she can dictate'.....if anyone else puts their pennyworth in it can lead to grumbles.

glammanana Mon 16-Sep-13 17:06:17

jane is there any reason why MOB would tell MOG not to wear a hat ? just being nosey grin

janeainsworth Mon 16-Sep-13 17:41:11

The subject came up in conversation today Glamma wink

Iam64 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:32:21

I was MOB earlier this year. We have never done big formal weddings in our family, and I was a tad afeared. It was fabulous, wonderful party organised by the bride and groom, and the formal bits were wonderfully personal.
I'm tall, and have 'feet' so usually wear orthotics, and flat shoes. On the day, I glammed up and loved it. Finding an outfit was a challenge, and in the end I paid up, and got something I loved.
Have a great day - you'll find something that fits, suits and looks and feels fabulous

ninathenana Tue 17-Sep-13 18:04:25

I agree it should be the bride who says yay or nay to what the MOB MOG can wear.

I'm surprised that she was told not to wear a hat, I would have expected the opposite.

tiggypiro Tue 17-Sep-13 18:36:47

I was MOG in Spain a few years ago and was sent a list and pictures of what was and what was not acceptable to wear. Apparently I was the most important person there after the bride and fortunately passed muster. I had to stand at the alter with my son and all I remember is my hat slowly slipping down my brow. Thank goodness I wear specs which did a stirling job holding it back !

yummygranny Wed 18-Sep-13 18:14:25

Thanks to one and all for their advice. (Tiffypiro, love the job your glasses did, tee hee!) I am trying the Ebay - or, actually, Preloved, which is a brilliant site - route, but so far everything's been too big. I shall persevere and also poke around the wedding shops too to see if they're selling off this year's stuff. By the way, where on earth have all the hire shops gone?! There used to be loads of places where you could hire any kind of dress: wedding, evening, MOB outfits, smart work gear for an interview or something. Where have they all gone? That's what I'd really like to do; hire something that would be great for the wedding, but which I would wear never again and therefore don't really want to buy. Anyway, I'm sure it'll turn out OK in the end.

Now .... I'm going over to the HRT forum, because my doctor's threatening to take me off it..... grrrgh!

PS I am deferring to my daughter's wishes in terms of colour for my MOB outfit and I'm sure we will buy/hire/borrow/steal it together!

yummygranny Fri 27-Sep-13 12:14:33

Hi ladies, I am thrilled to let you know that I have found the MOB of my dreams! It's a John Charles end of season design, which I completely fell in love with online and I had to spend hours scouring the internet to find somewhere that had any left in my size. Fortunately, came across one a few miles from me - it was their only one left and it was a size 8! Hallelujah! Thank you, God! I love it because it has no tummy pleating (being small it just makes me look as though I'm wrapped in bandages!), it's very simple and a stunning colour. Although it's a modern size 8, it's still not as small as a 10 used to be, so it has to be taken in a bit, but I'm so excited to have got it - and at a reduced price as it's 'so last season', so to speak! Yippee! and thank you all for your input.

HildaW Fri 27-Sep-13 12:17:44

excellent news yummy, now you can relax and really look forward to a lovely day....all the best.

ninathenana Fri 27-Sep-13 16:32:13

Pics please, or link to the sight.
Glad you've found something your so enthusiastic about.

glammanana Fri 27-Sep-13 17:45:52

I'm so glad you have found the outfit of your dreams there is nothing better than loving what you are wearing and feeling comfortable,I do love John Charles designs they are stunning.

yummygranny Sat 28-Sep-13 16:07:07

OK, ninathenana, here's a link showing the dress, the dress with jacket and the gorgeous back. I just love the inspired touch of lace, but the overall outfit is so clean cut and simple.

http://occasionsbyblessings.co.uk/product/john-charles-25533

But don't show anyone you know who's coming. smile

Thanks to you and others for your sweet messages and wishes.

Lona Sat 28-Sep-13 16:41:10

yummy That's very elegant, no wonder you're so pleased!

Granny23 Sat 28-Sep-13 17:03:21

Absolutely fabulous Nina. Oh to have the figure to wear that envy

janeainsworth Sat 28-Sep-13 17:16:32

Wow that is just lovely yummyenvy
Hope you have an equally fabulous day sunshine

annodomini Sat 28-Sep-13 17:39:29

What a perfect MoB outfit. Hope you 'blue' yourself and download some photos of the big day.

yummygranny Fri 11-Jul-14 13:50:14

For anyone who's still active on this page, wedding was absolutely beautiful, the bride was stunning, my outfit was a hit and there's a bundle of joy expected in January!
I would post a couple of pics for anyone who wants to see the outfit, but I can't see how to attach. Anyone who can point me in the right direction?

Lona Fri 11-Jul-14 17:58:09

yummy You need to go to 'Forums', then 'Pictures' and start a thread. It takes you to your photos, which you choose and post.